Anime with good story

I'm looking for anime with story where you need brain for watching
Like: steins gate
: Death note
: I'd invaded
Here are some suggestions:
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/monster -A psychological thriller about the protagonist hunting down a serial killer. Also deals with human nature.
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/casshern-sins -The protagonist is an immortal robot who is traveling in a dying world. Deals with Existentialism. Since the anime is subbed and dubbed, I strongly suggest the dub.
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kaiba -One of Yuasa's early works before he worked on Devilman Crybaby, this sci-fi deals with memory and identity. Plus it has romance to boot too. Though the ending does feel a bit rushed.
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/berserk -Berserk has a lot going for it. A beat down protagonist surviving in a world where war is the norm, deals with human nature, existentialism, and camaraderie.
Hope I helped out.

Cells at Work! The story isn't exactly complicated, but if you are looking for something educationally stimulating nothing tops this.
Future Diary This is a battle royale between a bunch of people who can predict the future in different ways, and every time someone takes any kind of action, everyone else will be able to predict the outcome of those actions. So each character has to make elaborate plans with their opponents abilities to anticipate their actions in mind.
The Promised Neverland This is a series that gave me the same kind of feel as Deathnote. I don't want to describe it too much to prevent spoilers, but it is also a battle of wits where the stakes are life and death.

try the following:

Rurouni Kenshin: deadly samurai has vowed to never kill anyone ever again and as the story progresses you find out what caused him to make that oath

Log Horizon: two opposing guilds of mmo players that got teleported into their mmo try to gain control over the game world by influencing politics

Durarara: rival gangs compete for dominance over a city. you never really know what anybody's agenda is.

Noragami: don't really know how to explain this one. it starts off goofy then becomes more serious

K: more gang warfare, and an amnesiac character is at the centre of it.

Spice and Wolf: medieval economics. i promise it's more fun than it sounds.

Classroom of the Elite: i don't remember exactly. i think it was classes of the smartest students competing against each other for special privileges. but this is anime so the challenges don't have much to do with academics. there's a big twist at the end... which is a cliff-hanger, but...

Witch Hunter Robin: is it really as clear-cut as hunters good witches bad?

Darker than Black: i don't remember it very well, but it was interesting...

Full Metal Alchemist: this one's one of the best loved anime ever for a reason. a cast chock-full of interesting characters and a solid plot.

try the following:

Rurouni Kenshin: deadly samurai has vowed to never kill anyone ever again and as the story progresses you find out what caused him to make that oath

Log Horizon: two opposing guilds of mmo players that got teleported into their mmo try to gain control over the game world by influencing politics

Durarara: rival gangs compete for dominance over a city. you never really know what anybody's agenda is.

Noragami: don't really know how to explain this one. it starts off goofy then becomes more serious

K: more gang warfare, and an amnesiac character is at the centre of it.

Spice and Wolf: medieval economics. i promise it's more fun than it sounds.

Classroom of the Elite: i don't remember exactly. i think it was classes of the smartest students competing against each other for special privileges. but this is anime so the challenges don't have much to do with academics. there's a big twist at the end... which is a cliff-hanger, but...

Witch Hunter Robin: is it really as clear-cut as hunters good witches bad?

Darker than Black: i don't remember it very well, but it was interesting...
google street view
Full Metal Alchemist: this one's one of the best loved anime ever for a reason. a cast chock-full of interesting characters and a solid plot.
Thank you for these recommendations, I just finished reading the Durarara, and I very much liked it.

Last edited:
Texhnolyze, Monster maybe. The really complex anime are usually short through. Like
for example. That's like Lynch level insightfulness. Tv series don't require much of a brain to understand what's going on, it seems.

Back