Anime To Avoid: Anime That Sent You To Vacation Mode?

AquamarineGem

I was planning on making a funny list titled: Anime That Sent My Brain to Vacation Mode. It's a list of anime that would bore you to death.
Generally, it's a list of anime that I would avoid re-watching because my mind would go elsewhere, the plot was hard to follow, or I would be distracted with other things.

So what are some good show recommendations to add to the list? Were there any anime that you watched that made you want to go on a trip or vacation to avoid it for a while?

I dozed off watching the monogatari series. Watching that series was like sitting through a very long and droning lecture on a particularly dreary day. I wasn’t following the dialogue closely enough to understand the mystery in that show, but oh the dialogue was long. I know it’s a popular show loved by many, but it wasn’t for me.

I would second the Monogatari* series. With the exception of the first 7ish episodes of S1 and the Fire Sisters arc of S2 its just unbearable.

Overlord is another series legendary for its boredom. Its not just me either, its one of the most popular complaints over the years.

I would lump together all long running Battle Shonen too. They all make promises and setup premises early on then spend hundreds of episodes desperately stalling progress to avoid coming to a conclusion.

I suspect the above franchises have simply struck upon a technique for manipulating and inducing an addiction in a certain market segment and just keep milking those prone to it. As someone who grew up watching Battle Shonen, I eventually woke up to how awful they are. Many never do.

Junji Itou "Collection". That series is a massive disrespect to his artwork and imaginings. The animation let it down, the soundtrack let it down, the censoring let it down (it's Itou, why are you making a censored version of his work? take the censorship and create a decent piece !). The only thing that held up where the stories which were Itou's own. and dont even get me started on that DVD special of Tomie....... made me wanna quit watching anime and only read manga for a while there. An absolute affront to what is good about Itou's work

C: Control - Anime about battles that take place in a virtual world but some kind of shady network of investing in stocks can influence how much power your avatar has in this virtual world and if you lose your avatar you will go bankrupt. At least I think it was something like that.
The Twelve Kingdoms - While it may technically be dubbed, this anime created new terminology for so many things that I quickly reached the point of getting lost and then it dragged on and on for 45 episodes. Its fairly highly rated though, so I guess there is an audience for it.
Yurikuma Arashi - While this anime had some interesting ideas and beautiful animation, there were so many time jumps that at any given time it was hard to tell if what I was watching is past, present or future.

C: Control - Anime about battles that take place in a virtual world but some kind of shady network of investing in stocks can influence how much power your avatar has in this virtual world and if you lose your avatar you will go bankrupt. At least I think it was something like that.

That first one actually sounds kind of cool... I doubt from what you've said that idea is executed well though......

That first one actually sounds kind of cool... I doubt from what you've said that idea is executed well though......
As someone who makes a living from the stock market and adores economics anime, I didn't hate the series but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than some weirdo looking for anime that will put them to sleep.

If you are interested in anime about economics/finance here are some better options.

Amagi Brilliant Park- A bunch of spirits live within a theme park that is struggling to make enough money to stay open. If the theme park is lost all the magical beings will die. A hardcore fan of the park works with an up and coming entrepreneur to improve business.
Ascendance of a Bookworm - A girl who loves books dies just before she can fulfill her dream of becoming a librarian. She is reborn in a fantasy world with an incurable disease that costs a lot of money to keep at bay. She attempts to use her knowledge of earth to invent ways to mass produce books in a world where books are only for the wealthy in order to survive her illness.
Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside - Relaxing Iyshikai about 2 former adventurers who try to run a potions shop in a small town in the middle of nowhere.
Maoyu: Archenemy & Hero - Humans wage an eternal war against demons because they can't grow enough food to maintain a large population. A demon lord falls in love with a hero and they work together to try to improve crop yields for humanity so humans will no longer have a reason to attack her fellow demonkin.
Spice and Wolf - The tale of a merchant and a wolf goddess who travel the world together trying to make enough money to feed her obsession with apples along the way.

Last edited:
As someone who makes a living from the stock market and adores economics anime, I didn't hate the series but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than some weirdo looking for anime that will put them to sleep.

If you are interested in anime about economics/finance here are some better options.

Amagi Brilliant Park- A bunch of spirits live within a theme park that is struggling to make enough money to stay open. If the theme park is lost all the magical beings will die. A hardcore fan of the park works with an up and coming entrepreneur to improve business.
Ascendance of a Bookworm - A girl who loves books dies just before she can fulfill her dream of becoming a librarian. She is reborn in a fantasy world with an incurable disease that costs a lot of money to keep at bay. She attempts to use her knowledge of earth to invent ways to mass produce books in a world where books are only for the wealthy in order to survive her illness.
Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside - Relaxing Iyshikai about 2 former adventurers who try to run a potions shop in a small town in the middle of nowhere.
Maoyu: Archenemy & Hero - Humans wage an eternal war against demons because they can't grow enough food to maintain a large population. A demon lord falls in love with a hero and they work together to try to improve crop yields for humanity so humans will no longer have a reason to attack her fellow demonkin.
Spice and Wolf - The tale of a merchant and a wolf goddess who travel the world together trying to make enough money to feed her obsession with apples along the way.

Oh these do sound pretty cool, thank you! I'm sure you'll be seeing a few for ABC!

For the first one, I was curious about the actual themeing of the bankrupt in game high stake games type themeing, less of the finance but I realise finance isnt really a theme I've watched in anime (at least knowingly) and now I am definitely curious. I'll def be taking a look, thank you Pupper!

Snow White With The Red Hair. Talk about a show with all the interesting facets of a piece of plain toast. The main girl has no personality that I could discern, but everyone acts like she was the most interesting thing ever because of her hair color. That show was a snooze and a half.

Was readjusting some lists and came across a handful of others!

My previous post + Junji Itou "Collection" and Junji Itou "Collection" Tomie

New Nominations
  • All of the Space Battleship Tiramisu series (2 seasons + 2 special series) - I should have expected better but they're all mecha ecchi parodies of the usual genres. Whilst they had a few standout episodes, the vast majority were boring and some were uncomfortable even for me to sit through. I anger watched season 2 and the two special series from both seasons purely to low rate them for wasting my time and knocking a point one off their average rating
  • Aku no Hana - it had such a good premise and I know a lot of people found it quite awesome for the premise if not a little off, but I found this so boring; I had to force myself not to drop it in the hopes it would start living up to everything it promised. If I recall, I spent some time watching my k-dramas and avoiding anime after this one. Fell asleep twice during it as well.
  • Yami Shibai 8 - It pains me to add this series here but ugh... the first seasons were all so good and then started teetering out and eight was the worst of all. I fell asleep for 4 episodes and had to rewind, and realised, soul-crushingly, that I had missed nothing napping through them. Season 9 at least picked up some of the slack that eight had dropped but ugh. A god fell when this one got released.

Orient. I'm still trying to get through season 2 but it feels like a slog. Despite being an action/adventure show, it feels very generic and bland. The characters just aren't that interesting and their sad backstories are ones we've seen in anime a hundred times before.

Oh, I've seen LOADS... So many, that I haven't even bothered to remember the names of a lot of them lmao.

But here are a few that I thought were personally boring to varying degrees.
(I hope I don't get flack for this... :( )

First 2 seasons of Fairies Albums: I tried to like it a lot, since I was told it was like Mushishi, but what I wasn't told however, was that the FL is practically a tsundere. (I hate that personality type, and when a tsundere is a main character, it really impedes on my enjoyment. The only exception is Kyo Sohma.) Anyway, while I kinda did like the stories, they just didn't really leave me engaged most of the time. The little fox was adorbs though. Season 2 was a little better, but not by much imo.

Samurai Champloo: Couldn't really get invested in the characters, other than Jin, and whatever the girl's name is. Oh, I thought the shamisen player was cool. I loved the music, but was bored through most of the show.

Death Note: Thought it was boring, and too scary for me at the time.

Food Wars: While I don't think it's boring, there's just WAY too much Ecchi for me. I do love the food and music though.

Princess Mononoke: You'd think I'd love this cause of my username, but I couldn't really get invested in the characters, and I thought half of it was boring. (If not most of it.) I do love the animation, artstyle, and the music though.

I agree with Space Battleship Tiramisu. That was...really something... *Throws up*

Edit: I'm not saying these anime are bad. It's not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings, so if you like these anime, you're free to like them. But if you become argumentative, aggressive, or just plain mean to me over my opinions, I will put you on ignore and no longer engage with you. I've dealt with enough negativity in my life, and I don't need more of it...

Last edited:
  • Symphogear: This sounds silly because it's high-octane, but the entire Symphogear franchise. I was forced to watch it against my will, but it's basically battle shounen with a lightning speed plot that's made up on the spot, hyper-objectified minors with leery camera angles, character models that make me laugh in discomfort (please, each of your individual breasts do not need to be bigger than your head Chris, that's back pain city), and as much gratuitous fan service (of course, of minors) as possible. It makes you just want to look away and not actually watch it, so your mind wanders. But the worst part? The action scenes are less inspired than someone catching car keys. I was so bored out of mind and so uncomfortable by just how creepy this show was.
  • Spice and Wolf II: I quite liked the original Spice and Wolf, but when Lawrence starts treating Holo as important to him like a business asset, a piece of cargo he's attached to, and then tries to solve emotions through business, I got bored out of my mind.
  • Dragon Ball Z: Not my style of anime, but my roommate would watch it while high every Saturday night. I just got so bored every time they'd pan to another character to get a reaction of their eyes to pad the runtime.
I like a lot of slow-paced shows like Kimi Ni Todoke (love, love, love) and Honey and Clover (a masterpiece), and even some action stories like Fullmetal Alchemist, but the above shows just had me so bored my eyes were rolling out of the back of my head.

Jormungand: Its about a arms dealer, war and so on. Dificult to imagine how this could be uterly boring right? But the author tried to write about a topic he has no ideia how it works. it does try to deal with war in a more or less serious maner, but it fails even for anime standards, result are the plot is slow, boring and makes little sense.

K: toatally what you're looking for. It resolves around the rule of cool, everyone makes long cool poses for pretty much everything. i never saw an action anime that espends so much time showing long shots of background with the same damm song track and scenes with people making poses for long seconds like they were on a fashion magazine perfect moments to let your mind travel to far away places. Plot is not hard but you'll end not understanding half of it cuz your mind will be in Narnia most of the show.

God eater: same problem as above action scenes are so slow that you can grab a snack and not loose anything i know cuz i did it.

Babylon: first part is a hell of a thriller, the scond half of the show is a snore philoshophical discussion between world leaders about suicide, i managed to have a more exciting debate about it with my high school students.

all persona anime: Totally made for the players. Watched every single one, all are slow as hell with some weird directing choices similar to K, it tries to emulate some stuff from the game but it translate poorly outside of it and ends up plain boring. Unless you played the game, them it gets a lot better, still slow as hell.

Ultramarine magmell: kinda like made in abyss poor brother, it felt like something from the 90's. Episodical aproach, boring eps and not a overeaching plot to give them some meaning.

seven senses of reunion: i derped so hard on this one i dont really know what is about. Some rip of from SAO i guess.

old Sant seya stuff: Its only possible to watch this as an excited kid, you need to be a hero to watch sanctuary to hades saga as an adult.

• Symphogear: This sounds silly because it's high-octane, but the entire Symphogear franchise. I was forced to watch it against my will, but it's basically battle shounen with a lightning speed plot that's made up on the spot, hyper-objectified minors with leery camera angles, character models that make me laugh in discomfort (please, each of your individual breasts do not need to be bigger than your head Chris, that's back pain city), and as much gratuitous fan service (of course, of minors) as possible. It makes you just want to look away and not actually watch it, so your mind wanders. But the worst part? The action scenes are less inspired than someone catching car keys. I was so bored out of mind and so uncomfortable by just how creepy this show was..
...I'm sorry, what? Less inspired than catching car keys? They start a season by CUTTING A FREAKING MOUNTAIN IN HALF AND THEN DOING A BROCK LESNAR ON A SPACE SHUTTLE How in the world could anyone find that boring?

...I'm sorry, what? Less inspired than catching car keys? They start a season by CUTTING A FREAKING MOUNTAIN IN HALF AND THEN DOING A BROCK LESNAR ON A SPACE SHUTTLE How in the world could anyone find that boring?
that annoying girl literally stands in the same place for 30 seconds punching in the same spot yelling for no good reason in the supposedly most emotional scene of the series. it's so uninspired and dull i'd rather watch baseball.

that annoying girl literally stands in the same place for 30 seconds punching in the same spot yelling for no good reason in the supposedly most emotional scene of the series. it's so uninspired and dull i'd rather watch baseball.
HOW? Like my God, you have to not have a pulse to get hyped by this series. The music alone makes you wanna go out there and kick some ass. Explosions, enough missiles to make a Macross series jealous, hot-blooded ass-kickery, THE MUSIC...I cannot wrap my head around you finding it boring. Even THE OPENINGS gets you ready to go!

Symphogear, yeah I couldnt even make it through the first season, dropped on episode 8. These anime that try to rely on over the top spazz scenes like FLCL, Kill la Kill, etc etc are usually pretty bad and forgettable. They have no substance. Had to load up some youtube vids just now to see what it was.

I dont think I would put Symphogear in the 'vacation mode' thread though. Its a completely different kind of bad from a snooze fest.

Back