Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2022

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by NorthPole, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Beth0410

Beth0410 Well-Known Member

That's good.
    It's not necessarily what you using that makes it easier unless the app there works much better.
    Great gift
    It was good Christmas, I already got some games early for it so just wanted to do a small meal with the fam. Best was when the pipes finally thawed the night before lol. Problem of having a well when it got as cold as it did

2. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

I meant easier for my future Santa to decide on recs...
    We originally were going to invite my grandmother over for Christmas dinner, but what with the weather being -9F degree's at the time, it sadly just wasn't possible. I got a JJBA game for my Switch, but mostly I just got some manga, clothes, snacks & candy, and some anime merch.

3. Beth0410

Beth0410 Well-Known Member

That sucks, at least tried to keep everyone warm during it. It was crazy how bad it got now it's all springy like weather.

I pretty much just got couple of games for my switch (new just dance, animal crossing and mario party superstars). Also decided to get a drawing tablet I can plug into my computer, just gonna take a little bit to get here with the holidays.

Starletka and OkamiHime95 like this.
  4. featherstone

featherstone Well-Known Member

Um, Merry Christmas and happy new year! I was a bit busy sooo I've missed the great reveal.

@cosmia You did great with those pics, I'm currently reading "Wait Where the Shooting Star Falls" but before I dive more into it, have to finish some other things before end of the year. I will check out other recs too, but I was really time-poor in December.
    "going through your manga list felt like going on a shopping trip" Glad you like it, since my taste is rather peculiar.

Ps. To tell you the truth, by some mistake while making recs, I weirdly misread and started making recs for you instead of my recipient (a weird misclick). And then stumbled on your comment, and then you were my santa all along, so this year secret santa was totally Cosmia themed =)

Pps. Giant Spider & Me - it was a weird preatty random axe, since the story was progressing smoothly.

5. cosmia

cosmia Well-Known Member

OHWOW what a rollercoaster lmao!! That definitely makes for a memorable Secret Santa experience LOL! :drinking:
    I feel you on being time poor during December, but I'm really glad you liked your gifts, it's a big relief!! :D
    Now that everything's revealed, I can safely finally add manga from your list onto mine ( ´ ▽ ` )b
    rip giant spider & me, it shall be missed quq

6. Oblithian

Oblithian Well-Known Member

So I have watched them all.

Horimiya was probably my favourite, of them. Though some of the characters being terrible people yet rewarded and supported for it was a bit annoying (fairly minor all things considered). I really like that relationships actually progressed and the story concluded (as you all know, fairly rare for anime).

Great Pretender was alright. It was entirely predictable though... (With the exception of
    the elevator room
    , that was just random). It got quite a bit better as you went... and then hit a bit of a lull at the end.

Link Click was perhaps more supernatural than sci-fi. I would say it was good for the most part. But it suffered (as many fictions do) from being internally inconsistent.

All in all, not too bad thank you Santa for the recommendations. Certainly a better success rate than randomly picking on my own. Hopefully I will have time next year as well. :)

Starletka and positiv2 like this.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  7. Oblithian

Yes, that was the one I was least confident in. I had come up with several other recommendations I thought would be better but were too lengthy.

I guess on the plus side you don't need to try it in the future? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ hahaha

Qplayer likes this.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  8. Curiousmadra

Curiousmadra Well-Known Member

To whomever my secret Santa was,

I don’t know how to write this without sounding like a nasty human being but I tried reading all the recommendations you sent to me. However I unfortunately couldn’t fully fall in love with most of the recommendations despite them being what I asked and I honestly appreciate what you sent me btw. I feel so bad and disappointed that I have to say it like this but I just want to be honest with you even tho I hate giving bad news to anyone really.

Anyways again, I appreciate you sending me the recommendations and have a good 2023 ahead!

Starletka likes this.
  9. NaelSchenfel

NaelSchenfel Well-Known Member

Happy New Year, folks :D I hope to see you all again this November/December!

10. LadyPsychic

LadyPsychic Well-Known Member

I had planned to write proper reviews for both Yasuke and BNA, but between just not feeling up to writing them and being distracted by fanfics, I just never got around to it. Basically, I would've given Yasuke a 6.5/10 and BNA a 8.5/10.

11. Oblithian

Wow, you really liked BNA.

12. vivizwag

vivizwag Member

Sorry that I'm late but thank you a lot @AnnaSartin for the recommendations. Although I only watched one of them, I really enjoyed it and you gave me to motivation to start watching more Chinese animes! I also appreciate that you picked some underrated gems rather than too well known animes. I'm glad you were my santa :)

13. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

I'm glad you enjoyed the funny dragon show! If you like cute dragons and want to watch something similar down the road, I suggest trying "Dragon Goes House-Hunting" as well! I really liked both shows. Thanks for letting me know how you liked your rec, and I hope you have an anime-filled new year!
    :smile:

14. Kokorororo

Kokorororo Member

A bit late, but thanks to both my Santa, Safaq, and my recipient, thunder7! I will place my remaining recs on want to read/watch. This was very fun to take part in and I hope to have the time to participate next year.

15. EastIsEarly

EastIsEarly Well-Known Member

Ahhh so it's you!

There was one year I was so sure you were my Santa, I went through and compared the lists, ratings, the message's writing style and everything. Our ratings for some things are indeed different xD

I forgot to mention it, but I noticed and really appreciated the variety of the recommendations. Not even necessarily the genres, but I mean they've all got really different feels to them, it was super refreshing.

Yes Kiznaiver was such a hit!! The others also seem up my alley. I'm only sad I was so busy this year and didn't get through more of them before the reveal :/ I do look forward to watching the rest though (hopefully in February when things slow down!).

For Real Girl, I've watched a couple more episodes, and I'll be continuing it too. There've been some cute moments, plus they do seem to have more to their characters than I'd first thought. I think the main issue is still that I keep stopping and thinking "wait but why do they like eachother in the first place..? Why him and not that other person?" etc. It's back into 'worth watching' territory though, so I've returned it to 2.5 stars :P

(On that note, it's funny how our ratings systems are almost opposite. I start at 2.5 and change it up/down when it passes each threshold.)

I'm definitely a week late with my response ㅠㅠ ... but thank you again! I did really enjoy it all. Have a great new year!

16. MahLong

MahLong Active Member

Heyyy
    @tigian , sorry for being this late :@_@::@_@: but thanks for the recs feedback =D
    I'm really glad you enjoyed some of my faves, like TGCF, Fruits Basket and Great Pretender, I'm very happy reading your thoughts about them =] It's a pity Promare wasn't a hit too, but your thoughts are pretty valid!
    Your reasoning behind Unholy Blood makes a lot of sense too.
    Hahah I forgot I mentioned Mononoke, but I thought the score was low and wondered why xD But it's not even that low, it's just me typing before thinking as usual :sweat:.
    Our thoughts on Gin no Saji and Houseki are pretty similar actually. They're not groundbreaking masterpieces but I like recommending them for the experience!
    I don't know if I should tell you to give Kubikiri another chance xD I'm not a fan of the characters too (only a certain one that appears at the last ep), what I thought interesting was the development of the story (even if I have mixed feelings about the end), so yeah, it get's a bit better afterwards, but maybe not enough for you to think it was a worthwhile experience, hahah.

And yeah, give JoJo a chance sometime!!
    Have an amazing 2023!

Starletka and tigian like this.
  17. MahLong

MahLong Active Member

Hey @Zed ,thanks again for the recs:frustrat:It really surprised me my Santa was someone so active in the forums xD
    I finished all the manga, and they were all amazing, loved it!!! Most of them I probably wouldn't find by myself. In the end I liked Yuureitou too! There were some things that I didn't love, but overall it was a pretty nice experience, very good, I'm glad I got to the end.
    Sadly I couldn't watch the anime as I did not have the time. I started Kengan Ashura before traveling and it certainly did look pretty crazy, I'm excited to keep watching it as soon as I can, it's a pretty unique setting. And as I said on another post, all the picks looked up my alley, so I'll give them all a watch this year!

And sorry for being so late :@_@::@_@:. Have an amazing 2023!

Starletka, howtoprocrastinate and Zed like this.
  18. trashcan007

trashcan007 Member

I might be too late for this but I'll try anyway:

Anime-Planet username: Trashcan007
    Link to your anime/manga list: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/trashcan007/anime
    Anime, manga, or both is ok?: Anime
    Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits: 24 Episodes
    Tags you don't want: Lovey dovey Drama. Overly-childish anime. No lgbt promotion animes either please and thank you.
    Other notes: I like action, mystery, sci fi, horror, and ocassionally fantasy.

19. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

This is the sign-up thread for last year's game. A new thread for this year should go up tomorrow, so just copy/paste your info over there when it does and you'll be all set!
    :banana:

EastIsEarly and Lenachan3ko like this.