Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2022

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by NorthPole, Nov 4, 2022.

1. WolfAngelus

WolfAngelus Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I have to say I wasn't surprised that you enjoyed them, it was easy to analyze and get a feel from your lists, though you hadn't rated most anime which was the only tricky part. Was more surprised that you'd not had any of these anime marked since they closely matched your preference & watched stuff. You had the 2 marked that first came to mind which is where the ideas bounced from towards the rest (you had both Lucky Star & Umaru-chan marked).

@StarPlatinum23 Thank you. I'll assume you have seen the postings I had made, so bouncing on from there:
    -S2 of Demon Girl is obviously happening, S1 was near perfect for what I am into, and that was the definite winner from the list.

-S2 of Shadows House will happen too, even though I had mixed thoughts. It was more storyline based, and with my medical condition causing me to be quite tired always, and have random memory loss, I found it harder to keep up since was confusing at the first chunk in regards to the shadows & puppets concept and how it tied together. It's the whole section on the maze where it drew me in more. As mentioned, to me the Horror element didn't really feel there and that was a tag I relied on when I originally marked it into a list.

-Flying Witch, well I'm not sure if watching it will be worth the time if it's not got a connecting component with me. I don't like to leave something partly done, and it's a few hours only, but it was the comedy tag & assumed cuteness appeal from the cover image that had me mark it, and I definitely didn't get comedy from it (which the tag was kindly removed). I'd be curious to hear more from you in regards to the comment that came along with the gift, how the first 3 eps compare with the rest or where you found yourself enjoying it most, as you'd mentioned getting a lot of laughs. I got that in Demon Girl, so I don't think I'm broken, nor that tired to notice lol, so maybe there is a vast improvement later on?

-Azumanga/Samurai Champloo -Well I ran 1 ep of Azumanga originally, but was so tired I opted to set it aside for when I can focus more and not be a concern if I doze off for bits, and I do prefer older anime. I had a bit of a burnout after going from Shadows House and into Flying Witch, feeling like I wasn't really getting what I had expected. I opted to go with something familiar & comforting, and realized that Christmas was fast approaching, and had switched to Christmas movies & cartoons, and caught up in some new Netflix releases.

As you likely noticed, my lists are rather massive, and it gets pretty stressful to try to jump around and get through things, given this is only the Anime part of my life, there is also a TV/Toons/Movie list & game list, so I swap around based on feelings and when I feel a bit burned out on something for any reason. I am not sure if Samurai Champloo will be something I'd get to anytime in the near future, it went onto my lists as I knew it was really popular back in he day, but I'd have to try to see how I feel on it, as Samurai's in itself isn't something I am that into, and would have to offer a major appeal in something else. Azumanga is much more likely in the near future as comedy is one of my main appeals and I have been focused on more older Anime/Toons lately because they just feel more comforting with the older art style.

I would have been curious to see 1 Anime that wasn't in my lists, wasn't sure if you were nervous or was difficult, but I'd encourage you to take a leap in the future, even if it's just an extra :P

2. Curiousmadra

Curiousmadra Well-Known Member

haha drat my cover is out the window, I didn’t want to say anything to spoil it cause I’m literally everywhere on this site so I didn’t want to make it too obvious xD

Anyhow I am so glad you enjoyed them since I know you wanted something out of this world especially me recommending Bodysuit Fetish XD

Have a great day, I’ve yet to open check out what my secret Santa recommended since work was so busy the last few weeks!

howtoprocrastinate and Starletka like this.
  3. gravityleap

gravityleap Well-Known Member

4. Cupcakle

Cupcakle Member

Thank you for the gifts I very much enjoyed both of the manga's. Both of those manga's are now in my top favorites <3 On the other hand I couldn't get into beastars since it didn't really pique my interest as much. :drinking: I will try to finish beastars tho. Have a nice holiday and once again thank you for the recommendations.

Hayane, Starletka and LamiaNymph like this.
  5. Cupcakle

Cupcakle Member

Your welcome, hope u enjoy them. Have a nice holiday!! :smile:

6. SpiritOfCoffeeMug

SpiritOfCoffeeMug Well-Known Member

Thank you @Thrawn for the gifts! Especially Kids On The Slope was my jam and I loved watching it. Most of the picks were something I really enjoyed and/or planned to watch at some point + Boy Skirt was a nice surprise I didn't expect. Sadly didn't manage to watch Gankutsuou, Saint Young Men and read Apollo's Song even though that was my intention.

Bumped the remaining anime and manga up on my PtW/PtR-list as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed the gifts (and glad that my streak is going strong this year as well!), and I do hope you enjoy the anime picks as well when you decide to watch them!

7. LamiaNymph

LamiaNymph Well-Known Member

You are absolutely welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed those series.

8. WeebBruh69

WeebBruh69 Member

Thank you so very much to my Secret Santa for the amazing picks that they have given me, to whoever my Secret Santa is lmao. Please reply or DM me because I don't think they have tagged me here yet.
    As for the picks they have chosen for me, I'd have to begin by apologizing for underestimating them because I literally regretting joining Secret Santa this year until I watched my picks and turns out they have been waaay better than what I expected them.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle: I watched this because this seemed like the anime I would watch on my own (You'll see why later). Honestly, I really really enjoyed it, It's a Comedy that gets serious almost at the end. The Characters imo have some real development and the end (no spoilers) was honestly not so bad, tho because it is a slice of life it doesn't have like a genuine ending, everything like the OST, Characters, Voice Acting was incredible aswell. I watched both sub and dub versions of it and they're both equally as good (the dub even threw in a nice reference to MGS V) Overall this has become one of the many anime I have genuinely enjoyed. 9/10

Brand New Animal: BOY, OH BOY WAS I IN FOR A SUPRISE. I legit hesitated to watch this anime because of the... animal... stuff but to my suprise it has become one of my most beloved anime of all time. The Story was AMAZING, Characters were just PERFECT, the OST, MY GOD THE OST, That Opening and Ending Themes are... SPECTACULAR. The ED in particular is forever in my playlist. Animation was also incredible and the Ending was also amazing, I would say I would like a Season 2 but at that point I think it would feel like a money grab since S1's ending pretty much wrapped up almost everything there was to the story, there are loose ends in it that could be resolved but I don't think it matters much. Despite the Ending being a little to0 predictable (or me being able to read into the future somehow, or even me having a Galaxy Sized brain (highly doubt it)) This has to be a MUST WATCH for everyone that's into anime, period. 10/10}

Kotaro Lives Alone: Uhh I was supposed to watch this one but it was already tough to cram time to watch Sleepy Princess and BNA with homework and school (had to watch 3 episodes per day so that I could watch them... the days I could) so I didn't manage to watch this one, but judging from the other 2 anime my Secret Santa has recommended I have no doubt that it'd be a banger, I'll watch it after the holidays.

And that's all, Honestly I have to say that my Secret Santa has some Amazing Taste when it comes not only to anime in general but anime that Others might like based on their taste, I wish them all the best.

And to my Recipient @torinikucchi I hope that you enjoyed the animes I recommended, some of them were even previous animes that have been recommended to me personally in a Secret Santa, so I hope you really liked them, and sorry if you didn't :sweat:

9. Rascal

Rascal Gold Supporter

bruh you didnt watch the only 10/10 one on your list

10. @WeirdFrance Thanks for the gifts, unfortunately I wasn't able to watch them all before Christmas but.... here we go.

My Girl (Mizu Sahara)
    "What would you say to someone you love if you knew this would be the last time you talk? Would you be able to move on if you didn't?" These are just some of the questions the manga My Girl makes to the readers, showing us the everyday of Masamune and his daughter Koharu.

Yumeka Sumomo's style of writing balances the sadness/melancholy of losing someone while adapting it into a more wholesome story, complimenting it with beautiful art.

Each character has their own personlity traits that help establish the story and give different opinions to show how each one sees life, even if some might fall into archetypes, the author is able to flesh them out and give them nice moments to shine.

Can't really say much except that if you are curious about this manga, you should totally give it a shot. 10/10

Her ShimCheong
    This is one of my first manwha/webtoons and gotta say it's really an emotional trip, showing the unusual love between a beggar and the wife of a Chancellor with a charming artstyle to show us how each one of our protagonists deal with their own trouble in life and unexpectedly, both sharing a sad dream.

Shim Chong and Jan's relationship it's one of the best I've read in a yuri story, their interactions together are one of the best highlights of the story showing how both struggle and with the help of each other, they compliment each other and express their own feelings without worrying about the outside world.

Probably the biggest negative aspect of this manwha is the cast of secondary characters, with the ones that take a role simply serve the purpose of telling plot points, being cartoonishly evil, manipulative, or end up being straight up terrible people. There's no problem with a story having challenges to overcome but, this really quickly turns into a "you and me versus the world".

This is a must read title for everyone that likes the GL genre and wants to read a story that focuses on the protagonists more than their relationship. 9/10

Princess Tutu
    Damn, really loving this duck's story, I'm on episode 15 so it's a matter of days before I finish, my only observation would be the pace of the story slows down quite a bit after episode 10.

And before closing this post, I said I was going to watch all the recommendations so that's what I'm going to do, even if I didn't manage to watch them all before Christmas. So, keep up an eye for more updates ;)

Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  11. @Safaq I'm glad you enjoyed all the recommendations! Also, had a good feeling about Kyou no Asuka Show so good to know it was one you enjoyed the most. Merry Christmas!

12. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

It's no longer Christmas but it's nevertheless only fair that I offer my thanks @Rascal for his stellar recommendations. I already have seen Batman Ninja and Vinland Saga but I was more than happy to watch them both over English dubbed this time around for a fresher experience. Vinland Saga was already an easy sell since I was already itching to reacquaint myself with the series leading up to second season.

Mononoke was something I wished I could've gotten way more into but was lacking in much room for emotional investment, even moreso than I would expect from these kinds of anthology series. It did not bore me however, as evidenced by the fact that I finished it one night. I also like how it had a very noteworthy difference in art direction for the different storylines even if the colorful acid trips were a constant.

I never did get around to Megalobox. I'm still finishing it's parent story Ashita no Joe. I like to appreciate the past before looking to the future. I have no doubt that I'd like Megalobox so I feel no need to hurry.

Rascal, LamiaNymph, Qplayer and 3 others like this.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  13. Shizukuu

Shizukuu Well-Known Member

@Fluffs Thanks a lot for the recs! I really enjoyed all of the ones I managed to get to!

Fluffs, positiv2, Rascal and 3 others like this.
  14. RavenBlaze

RavenBlaze Active Member

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for the picks you gave me, I had the chance to watch something that normally I would have not. For example, I usually skip GL (I also skip shoujo actually, I'm very picky about romance anime). Tokidoki was a cute one shot, so don't worry!
    As regards Bloom into You, I'll try reading the manga, to see what happens next.

15. Scalpelexis

Scalpelexis Well-Known Member

@ElementalSkullgirl My dearest Santa! Thank you for your gifts! I don't envy anyone picking up for me, since I do not know what kind of anime would I recommend myself :-D But I believe your mix ticks all possible places :-) I watched Baldr Force EXE which I think you had to get some inspiration from DTAB which we both attend :-D I was worried about the "Based on eroge" tag (and I can seethe background VN script behind it), but all in all it was a easy to watch action shlock with mechs, bad guy is the good guy and a good yandere to finish. I can't say it is the best thing I've ever seen, but it was pretty entertaining, thank you!

Just watched Lu over the wall and even though Slice of Life isn't my forte, I think something so wholesome and heartwarming is indeed perfect for the Christmas time! In a day or two I will get on with Ajin, that's a promise :-)

Merry Christmas!

16. Deinonychus

Deinonychus Active Member

@Trix0n Don't feel bad, I shoud have been more specific with my wishes and I'm awfuly picky when it comes to anime. My taste in anime have also somewhat changed since I joined AP, that's why my watched list might be kinda misleading.

Still, I enjoyed your picks. Sometimes it's fun to step out of one comfort zone's and discover something different.

That's quite a coincidence, I actually missed the last year's Secret Santa, so this is my second time.

@meganeorcx
    Yeah, I found a bit hard to pick the reccomendations for you because or tastes differ, but I'm glad you enjoyed my picks.

You had either already seen most anime that I initially wanted to suggest or they didn't match your other requirements.
    So I just went with some anime that I personally enjoyed and that I thought more or less matches your wishes.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Trix0n, Rascal, OkamiHime95 and 3 others like this.
  17. WeirdFrance

WeirdFrance Active Member

I'm so so so sooo glad you enjoyed them! Always here for more GL or emotional rollercoster manga recs

18. LadyPsychic

LadyPsychic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recs! I'll definitely watch the Violet Evergarden movies when I have time.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

[​IMG]

And never would have I ever expected it was you; some pure sneaky genius kinda shit. Also giving me shit I would never have expected and was actually incredibly good despite it's one volume nature that totally adhered to my very, very specific request? You're like Neils Bohr or Marie Curie of giving recs. My thanks again!

Not only did you get through a good part of the list, but you enjoyed it which is the real Christmas gift of all. And glad you like the jazz one! Appreciation of jazz is the highest form of intellectualism, and Boy Skirt, nobody expects the paladin.

20. naterbug8278

naterbug8278 Well-Known Member

I was stuck in a hellscape of snow(this isn't even really a joke.) and then visited family, so I'm a bit late here.
    Hey im just glad you liked at least one of them. 86 was one of my top anime of 2021 so, I hope you enjoy it more once you get to finishing it. Hope you had a good Christmas yourself though! Sorry I couldn't specifically find stuff closer to your tastes and what you asked for, I don't watch much horror stuff lol.
    -----------------

@Karasune Maybe I'm easy to impress, but you kinda slapped it with the recs. Loved all three. Working(Heh. No this was not intentional.) my way through Working still but I'm most certainly going to watch all of it over time. So thank you a whole bunch for getting me to watch these! I hope you had an excellent Christmas and got some good anime Recs as well!