Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by NorthPole, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Dear Santa,

I've found it interesting that you chose my recommendations that's not on my list and I'm so damn happy that you did. So here is what I thought about them.

First, The Legend of Hei was a treat and it was not just for the eyes. I loved just about everything about it and I ended up beating your. name for my best anime movie.

Second, Mo Dao Zu Shi deserved the praise it gets. Once, I've found out some good things about it, I had to see it for myself and I was pleased with what I've seen and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

Last but not least, The Eccentric Family has the perfect blend of comedy and drama but I've enjoyed the characters most of all. Okay, well, nearly all of them. Since there is a second season, I'm going to continue this series.

Overall, these are some epic choices and I thank you for choosing them.

Til next year!

2. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

Finished my final Secret Santa rec today, The Ancient Magus's Bride. Here are my thoughts. https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Warpuppy/reviews/101622

Overall this was the best batch of Secret Santa recommendations I have received so far.
    The past 2 years have included one rec that I strongly disliked, one that was decent, and one that was pretty good.
    This year I got one that was meh, one that was decent, and one that was excellent.

Thanks for the gifts Santa!

3. KathyKatz

KathyKatz Database Moderator

Unfortunately, the holidays have been a busy time for me, and I have only managed to finish two of my Secret Santa picks. I will post my thoughts on the picks after the 24th, just in case I manage to binge watch another one of my picks before the deadline.

4. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

It took a 12 hour binge, but I finished my last pick...did not enjoy it, but I finished it. After dropping XxxHolic, I felt like I owed it to Santa to finish the last one.

...12 hours. I haven't watched the same show 12 hours in a row since that Meerkat Manor marathon.

Anyway, you didn't bat 1000 there, Santa. But you did hit a home run with Zetsubou Sensei, which was batshit in the best way. So kudos.

5. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

I finished A Letter to Momo the other day. I can certainly see why people like it, what with the fun animation and accessible storytelling without getting smarmy or pontificating. Sadly, I couldn't get into it, but it's a solid 3/5 film.

6. nyaladin

nyaladin Member

I finally finished watching Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou this Monday. It took me way longer than I had originally planned. I'm partially blaming it on the way the episodes were structured (multiple short episodes/gags within one episode) because it made it hard to get into it and I also had to study for an exam :x. I'm a bit on a fence with how to rate it. It made me laugh or at least chuckle out loud several times (I liked literary girl gags the most) but other times it was really boring. I think I liked this anime the least out of the three choices I got but it was still a decent watch and I can see where this recommendation came from.
    Overall, I really think my Santa did a great job with the gifts I got. I didn't get anything from my WTW list (which would still be ok because I hardly remember what I have there) and it was fun.
    I still have my Santa's personal favourite BanG Dream! to watch but I'm back at my parents' house for the holidays and the internet here is terrible so I simply won't be able to watch anything rn. I managed to watch one episode just to check it out and within the first three minutes my mood was instantly improved hehe. It looks fun and I'm curious about it but I think I'll leave it for when I'm not feeling my best.
    Sorry for any English mistakes. And thank you once again. happy holidays to those who celebrate~~

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  7. StarPlatinum23

StarPlatinum23 Well-Known Member

I finished Konosuba yesterday and highly enjoyed the characters and the comedy. While there is not much to the story, the characters and their interactions with each other make up for that. I didn't think I would even like this because of the other works by the same author (Combatants will be dispatched which I dropped and Kemono Michi which I SHOULD have dropped lol) but luckily that wasn't the case and I will eventually watch the 2nd season and the movie. I would give this a 4/5.

Now for the other 2 picks, those might not be watched before Christmas. While I'm enjoying Akame ga Kill and watched 9 episodes, I have not been in the mood to watch more of it, and Angels of Death made me lose interest in it after 1 episode but I will watch more of each before Christmas. Happy holidays y'all!

8. Fluffs

Fluffs Database Moderator

Just in time here! I choose Paprika, because I heard a lot about it over the year but haven't had the chance to watch it.

I went in without even reading the synopsis (didn't remember anything about it either). Overall, it was quite enjoyable. A little trippy at times, with some good music. The characters were interesting, the story had an okay premise. I ended up giving it 4/5.

I do plan to watch the other 2 eventually, am just really swamped. Especially looking forward to Violet movie ^^ Thank you Santa!

9. JordanJas

JordanJas Bronze Supporter

I am so glad that Mo Dao Zu Shi is getting more love.

10. WolfAngelus

WolfAngelus Well-Known Member

I finished my 2nd a few days ago > https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kaze-no-stigma

A bit of a thing here though. So I liked it, and did the watches in larger chunks. I was following fairly well what was happening. But then towards the last 2/5ths, I was watching, but not absorbing into memory what was happening. I was also dozing off on each new night and I ended up losing my place.
    This isn't an isolated situation and it happens regularly with any show. It's an unfortunate side effect of dealing with sleep deficiency (worsened by recent forced early shifts which I've never had to do) and frequent pain which recently evolved further. The combination of lack of sleep + pain really takes a toll.

In this case, it means being unable to say much on the watch, without reattempting to watch it all and trying to retain the overall plot. I put a 3.5 on it because I know I liked it, I think it would likely have be higher otherwise, but still lacking compared to Shakugan no Shana, Shana is one of my more fav characters. So I think a score of 3.5-4 makes a lot of sense. The connection between the main chars wasn't as strong as it should have been, and the girl never really connected with me, she was too much of a Tsundere for too long, making it hard to like her. Also watching something with the 2000s animation has fueled my desire to wanting to watch some older cartoons or anime, and made me realize how relaxing and comforting it is, even if I doze or forget stuff.

I read the AP page for https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/a-place-further-than-the-universe, but think it makes more sense to wait until I am feeling a bit better overall, hopefully with some written assistance to adjust my situation at work and reduce those problems. If it was more episode based, or just a comedy, it wouldn't be an issue, but I am getting the vibe that it isn't close to that case here.

11. Starletka

Starletka Silver Supporter

I sure am looking forward to the Santa reveals :D

12. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Yup. Though I have no clue who mine could be.

13. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

14. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Unlike everybody else, I just started my pick. But I have work so it'll have to wait. But it's pretty metal and a faithful adaptation.

15. EastIsEarly

EastIsEarly Well-Known Member

Dear Santa,

Urara Meirochou | 12 of 12 eps | 6 of 10 stars
    Complete! A story with cute characters and great art. I liked this one a lot, and otherwise would never have found nor tried it, so thank you very much for the rec.
    The first 6 episodes felt a little like filler and were hard to get through, but it picked up on episode 7 with Koume's backstory (which was refreshingly original and also had a lot of interesting details), and the rest of the episodes were mostly smooth sailing.

My favorite parts were Kon and Chiya's midnight conversations. Their friendship developed naturally through talking about things they care about, and I like how it wasn't an equal four-way conversation, but rather something closer. Quiet late-night talks like those are my favorite part of life, so I really liked seeing that be an integral part of the story.

I struggled with the rating, but decided to settle at 6/10 stars. The anime dragged out way too much, but I liked the story behind it. I'm going to continue with the manga and finish the story (and admire the art!). Pretty sure it'll easily be 7/10 stars, possibly 8/10.

Re:Creators | 10 of 22 eps, changed from Dropped to Stalled
    I gave it some more thought, and realized I do still really want to know how this ends, for better or for worse. Therefore! My plan is to wait until there's a show I'm really interested in, then I can watch this one on the side without getting too frustrated.

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma | 14 of 318 chs
    It has good pacing, the (many) characters are distinct and likeable, the locations are cool and interesting (especially the garden behind the dorm), and the storyline seems to have a lot of room to grow. However, all the ecchi -- and there's a lot of it -- just isn't very interesting to me.

There's no doubt I'd still enjoy it moderately, but 300 chapters is a big commitment for something I wouldn't fully appreciate, so I think I'll quit here.

Didn't add an official rating since I didn't get very far, but would unofficially put it at about 5/10 stars for my personal taste and 8/10 for its great quality.

Overlord | 4 of 13 eps
    I'm prrrrobably going to drop this one? Will watch a few more episodes before deciding. I almost want to continue for the music alone, because both the beginning and ending are seriously great.

Aria the Scarlet Ammo | 9 of 93 chs
    I underestimated how busy things would get, so didn't have a chance to finish in time, but will continue it in the new year. I might watch the anime instead, but we'll see.

Favorite Series Guess
    I failed miserably.

Santa Guess
    Only a few people have talked about their recipients this year, so I have zero idea who my Santa might be.

1 - Santa seems to really like girls (and ecchi). That rules out a lot of suspects since that was one of the most commonly unwanted tags.
    2 - Santa said they haven't read much manga. That rules out anyone who requested manga only, I still kept the people who said "both" though.
    3 - Even though I don't participate in forums, I've stalked a ton of people from the last two years, so I ruled out some more people there based on their suspected tastes. This was probably a bad idea, because that left me with 20 participants, and not really any closer than I'd been at the start.
    4 - I went back to the drawing board and clicked around randomly for a super long time and didn't really know what I was doing other than reading way too many profile page introductions. And then I got tired.

Final guess is Sabure! It doesn't feel like a correct fit, but he's the only person I could find who's watched 5/6 of the recs I got. (And I've given up searching.)

This was a fun year. Thanks again to Santa, North Pole, the elves, and hope everyone has a great Christmas.

16. Loussavaara

Loussavaara Member

Dear santa, I have watched 2 out of 3 picks and I am probably not going to watch the third so here we go.

Akira: I am very happy about this pick. I have wanted to watch this movie for a long time and this was a good opportunity to finally do it. I really enjoyed watching it and I found the world and story fascinating. It was also interesting to recognize the parts of Akira that have clearly served as inspiration for other movies and series.

Silver Spoon: It is almost funny how accurate this recommendation was. I have actually gone to an agricultural school mysel. I would not say that this series is an accurate representation when it comes to that experience. However there were pleny of moments in Silver Spoon that hit close to home. I also really enjoyed watching someone as clueless as the MC interact with that enviroment. I also enjoyed the humor and the characters in the show.

O Maidens in Your Savage Season: Looks like an interesting series but I suffer greatly from second hand embarrassment and I don't think I would survive the viewing.

Thank you santa for your picks, I have really enjoyed them!

17. Deimock

Deimock Member

I just finished my second gift, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon. At first I thought it'll be a little boring, but I enjoyed it a lot at the lasts episodes and I'll be watching the second season soon.
    I'm sorry I wont be able to start/finish the last pick on time, but I'll try to watch it soon too.

Finally, I'm sorry if my english is not the best and thanks to AnnaSartin for the reminder of this event, I forgot to mention it before. Thanks santa for the nice gifts, and happy holidays everyone.

Fluffs, Warpuppy, Starletka and 7 others like this.
  18. JordanJas

JordanJas Bronze Supporter

Alright as it is going out tomorrow my guess is NuclearHoneydew. Let's see if I'm right!

19. Max4444

Max4444 Well-Known Member

To my santa, I'm sorry that I was only able to finish watching one of the picks. While the others are interesting, I wasn't really in the mood to watch them and I didn't want to rush watching them end risk ending up not enjoying them because of that, but I'll definitely watch them sometime in the future. I've watched 4 episodes of Pretty Boy Detective Club, and I've been loving it so far.

Also I'm guessing my santa is Max20Ro.

20. LadyPsychic

LadyPsychic Well-Known Member

I just made a review of Hi-Score Girl.

In other news, I'm sad to say that I don't think I'll be able to finish Keep Your Hands Off Eizoken on time (some things came up last minute and I just don't think I'll have enough time to finish it before Christmas). I might be able to finish it before New Years, but that depends on how long it will take to set up my new computer that I'm going to get for Christmas.