Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

Millennium Actress

tumblr_n0jykeABlU1qczbido1_500.gif

I cried.

Yeah this is my favorite Satoshi Kon feature now. I'm a big sucker for artfully written stories that kind of encapsulate the meaning of life in some way, and I think this did that.
In a way, the main actress's struggles, and everything she did can really represent many different groups of people at different times over the course of her life, and also represents how much purpose to your life chasing something can give. Like, it doesn't matter if you ever catch up to it, and "achieving actual happiness" isn't going to happen just by reaching that goal, what's actually going to make you happy is the mere act of chasing that happiness. It was like the person that chiyoko was following was almost like a metaphor for that.

And the incorperation of all the films she was in to her journey, and how they so effortlessly worked in that actress who opposed her in all her roles to opposing her in real life, and even the filmmaker who was making the documentary about her, who played the role of the person who saved her in all of her films in the course of her telling the story, and then he turned out to be the actual person who saved her life back then on set... Genius.

The painting on the moon she saw, and then paralleled the beginning of the movie with the end with her launching off into space, that really made me cry right there, that's just so beautiful, man. I just don't know if I can really explain why.
Thanks
10/10

Hi! I’m doing my review on all three anime my Santa gave me since I’m going on vacation and can’t guarantee I’ll finish my third rec on time :) Thank you, Santa, for the picks this year!!!

ReLife:

(4.5/5) Ok I was enjoying this and then… I WAS REALLY ENJOYING THIS. Beautiful. I was literally about to start crying at the ending. The premise is so wacky and lighthearted and then BAM you hit me with the “everything is an illusion and everyone you made memories with will forget you” and I was so saddddd. I loved this so much. I immediately watched the second season because I was dying to know how this ends. I am so happy I did that and that there was indeed a happy ending… but it still feels bittersweet in my mouth. My favorite pick!!!

Oregairu (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU):

(2/5) Ok I will be honest and say this anime was not my cup of tea. I feel like it should have been, though!! There was a plot. Cute characters. I just could not relate to our main protagonist for the life of me. I feel like this anime is missing something but I don’t know what it is so I feel some kind of way. Really wanted to like this but I got really bored… I powered through, though. Sorry to offend anyone that really loved this anime!!!

The Millionaire Detective - Balance: Unlimited:

(TBD/5) This is the one I left until last and am currently watching still. Bruh I am laughing. Laughing continuously. I can’t stop my awkward laughing like—I am enjoying this but omg these two are awkward little beans together. One throws money like it’s candy and as soon as he forgot his wallet at home he becomes this lost preschool child that needs help crossing the street. The other is this thirty year old man that just un-ironically screams at the sky and I swear to god he will end up in the hospital if he keeps throwing himself into dangerous situations. Looking forward to where this goes!!!

Last edited:
I finished Mushishi awhile ago, and as I've said before, I love it, and it's easily now one of my big favorites. <3
I look forward to watching season 2, but that'll be WAY after I watch my other picks from my original Santa, as well as the picks from my "honorary" Santa's. XD

I'm several episodes in To Your Eternity, and while I DO find it hecking depressing for reasons I won't share here, I do find the stories captivating, nonetheless. So far I think I would rate it a 7 out of 10. :)

Oregairu (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU):

(2/5) Ok I will be honest and say this anime was not my cup of tea. I feel like it should have been, though!! There was a plot. Cute characters. I just could not relate to our main protagonist for the life of me. I feel like this anime is missing something but I don’t know what it is so I feel some kind of way. Really wanted to like this but I got really bored… I powered through, though. Sorry to offend anyone that really loved this anime!!!
I got that as one of my recs last year, and well, let's just say that I completely agree with you... :sweat:

Glad to know I’m not the only one. :( Thank you!!
Yeah, as a Romance fan, I really wanted to like it, but...
The comedy either fell mostly flat to me, or too "over the top", but then again, I'm picky with the comedy genre in general (especially Japanese comedy), so comedy is really hit-or-miss for me; And sadly, the comedy in Oregairu was a miss. However, I think the show had potential to be better, and like you said, something is missing from it, but I myself cannot quite articulate what.
Maybe if I would've watched it when I was younger, I think I would've liked it more. *Shrugs*

It surprises me that I apparently rated it 3.5/5 stars, but if I were to watch it now, I think it'd be about the same as yours.
So yeah, I don't hate it, but compared to other Romance/Rom-coms that I watched, I prefer those more.

Edit: Idk why it decided to break up my spoiler into 2 separate tags, but oh well.

Millennium Actress

tumblr_n0jykeABlU1qczbido1_500.gif

I cried.

Yeah this is my favorite Satoshi Kon feature now. I'm a big sucker for artfully written stories that kind of encapsulate the meaning of life in some way, and I think this did that.
In a way, the main actress's struggles, and everything she did can really represent many different groups of people at different times over the course of her life, and also represents how much purpose to your life chasing something can give. Like, it doesn't matter if you ever catch up to it, and "achieving actual happiness" isn't going to happen just by reaching that goal, what's actually going to make you happy is the mere act of chasing that happiness. It was like the person that chiyoko was following was almost like a metaphor for that.

And the incorperation of all the films she was in to her journey, and how they so effortlessly worked in that actress who opposed her in all her roles to opposing her in real life, and even the filmmaker who was making the documentary about her, who played the role of the person who saved her in all of her films in the course of her telling the story, and then he turned out to be the actual person who saved her life back then on set... Genius.

The painting on the moon she saw, and then paralleled the beginning of the movie with the end with her launching off into space, that really made me cry right there, that's just so beautiful, man. I just don't know if I can really explain why.
Thanks
10/10
Hey, it's my favorite too. Respect.

i just finished How To Keep a Mummy earlier (:

my thoughts on it... are so positive! it was just adorable, i loved the cute little creatures so much, it has really cheered me up this month
when i watched the first episode i was so sleep deprived that i actually started crying from how cute the little mummy guy is, which is just an amazing start haha
my favorite character is by far Conny, he's an adorable little shit of an oni child and he deserves the world
to my secret santa, you did amazing with this one, it made me so happy to watch this and i probably wouldn't have gotten around to it if it wasn't for your pick (:

conny-miira-no-kaikata.gif

I finished with my recs a while ago but I kind of still wanna play if anyone is willing to throw some recs my way in a PM. I've been looking for good futuristic/cyberpunk settings, or anything space opera. ("The Fifth Element" is a great example of space opera. even though it doesn't really take place in space)

Since someone else already said it, anyone wanna give me a rec? I'm uuuuh, looking for a manga you're convinced I'll like. (not on my list if possible) Convinced is less "perfectly tailored to me" and more "you love it so much how could anyone dislike it."

1/2 through https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kaze-no-stigma. Definitely picked up on it feeling extremely similar to Shana, pretty sure the voices are fairly close too or even the same person for the English version.
What I appreciate most is actually the slightly more retro look - the old box shaped resolution, combined with the artstyle, not sure of the word but it is less.. vivid? dull? flat? less detail & less bright coloring. Anyways, I tend to get more drawn into stuff that looks of the 2000 era, it's what I grew up with. It also really makes me want to watch Cardcaptors again.

I'd like to try to finish the last half before Thurs since Aggretsuko comes out then and Witcher on Fri

Dear Santa,

I finished my second gift - A place further than the universe, and I wanted to let you know, that I liked it a whole lot! It's a solid 4/5* from me. There were some strong scenes, that got me emotional and it really was my vibe. Cute girls doing cute things would not be one of my favourite genres though. Few episodes were kinda useless for the story, or rather a little boring, but overall I enjoyed the series very much. I loved Kobuchizawa Shirase and the rest of the girls weren't that likeable for me, but I didn't dislike them either. It was wholesome, positive, comforting and heartwarming. Thank you very much. I hope you are doing well and that you are enjoying your gifts and the omnipresent Christmas mood just as I am. (◠‿◠)

Last edited:
Hi Santa~

So I have watched 3 of the 4 recs you gave me. I probably won't be watching the last one because I have to be in a very specific mood to watch something like Baccano (part of the reason I haven't seen Banana Fish yet). If I watch it while not being in the mood it will get rated lower than it deserves (see 91 days). So I hate to say it but that is probably it from me for this season.

Back