Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

I haven't started any of my gifts yet, however, I hope I can start Haibane Renmei and Natsuyuki Rendezvous tomorrow!

I'm also more inclined to watch Penguindrum before Kaiji due to the latter having two seasons. I usually watch 2-cour and longer anime in the evening, and then I binge multiple episodes. However, I want to ask the community whether Penguindrum is a good anime to binge or whether I should rather watch it more slowly, i.e. one or two episodes a day. I'm grateful for suggestions ^-^

I need to show off with my Secret Santa's picks too! I got the sweetest message and an explanation for every choice. I feel like it wasn't the easiest for them cause we apparently don't watch much similar anime. But I was really pleased that non of my recs are romances, because I lowkey am in a mood for something different rn. And I am so curious about who my Santa was! (✿◠‿◠) Anyway I want to thank you very much for the time you gave it, I love all the recommendations. <3

1. Barakamon - I'm already on ep 5. And I love it. It have been on my WtW list for quite a long time now and I needed a little push to start it already.
2. A Place Further Than The Universe - this is an anime Scalpelexis told me about a while ago, so I'm really curious about it, as he knows me quite well and knows what I like, so it's kinda cool, that my Santa was able to tell what my vibe is like just from my profile!
3. Tower of God - anime, that I never heard of until now, so I'm really axcited to discover something absolutely new for me.

Plus I got some unofficial LGBTQ+ suggestions - Revolutionary Girl Utena, Yuri On Ice, Madoka Magica.

I honestly feel like a little kid, joyfully playing with their Christmas presents. :D So once again - Thank you!

P.S. If my Santa reads this. You said that you've been looking unsuccesfully for some good lgbtq+ anime too, I recently watched Given and it was the best BL anime I've seen so far, so if you haven't seen it (I mean, I know the probability is super low as it's quite popular, but I'll give it a try anyway...), then I definitely recommend you to check it out. :)

I can't praise Barakamon enough. The show's only real flaw is that there's not more of it. I suggest checking out the manga after you finish the anime, it goes far beyond it and is 100% worth the read.

Forgot to mention that I already got my picks:
  • Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei
  • School live
  • Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
  • Castlevania (extra)
Not sure why I got the first one, but I'll give it a try. The other ones are interesting, I'll probbaly start with School Live since I remeber watching a few eps when it first came out, but never finished it. Thanks to the person who gave me those picks :balloon:

School-Live AND Castlevania? Props to your Santa for giving you zombies and vampires for Christmas, sounds like my kind of guy!
:drinking:

My Dearest Santa,

As I quill this letter to you, I personally want to thank you for such delighted features. Quite the variety you have bestowed upon me and I do look forward to at least watching one if not more. Mind you, I am in three other secret Santa's, so time may not be a fair-weather friend to allot me more viewings but I will at least tend to the one.

You have given me Mob Psycho 100, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Golden Kamuy and Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii along with Bloom into you, Kono oto Tomare and Inuyashiki. My, what a selection! So many gifts received and so many to choose from!

And I am indeed indecisive right now since they all sound riveting. I might have to stew over it...maybe light the fireplace and some candles. Maybe make some hot cocoa and cozy up on the sofa while Christmas carols play in the background. Get more into that jolly spirit mood and then maybe, it will come to me. That feeling, that craving of a certain genre that speaks to you will finally come and then I shall know what title I shall pursue.

I shall quill you again when I have decided what feature to grace myself with. In the meantime, I hope your holiday season is just as bright and merry and always with a touch of romanticism. Unless you are like me and need more than just a touch winks

Thanks again my dearest Santa. Until then...
Karin-signature.jpg

My Dearest Santa,

As I quill this letter to you, I personally want to thank you for such delighted features. Quite the variety you have bestowed upon me and I do look forward to at least watching one if not more. Mind you, I am in three other secret Santa's, so time may not be a fair-weather friend to allot me more viewings but I will at least tend to the one.

You have given me Mob Psycho 100, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Golden Kamuy and Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii along with Bloom into you, Kono oto Tomare and Inuyashiki. My, what a selection! So many gifts received and so many to choose from!

And I am indeed indecisive right now since they all sound riveting. I might have to stew over it...maybe light the fireplace and some candles. Maybe make some hot cocoa and cozy up on the sofa while Christmas carols play in the background. Get more into that jolly spirit mood and then maybe, it will come to me. That feeling, that craving of a certain genre that speaks to you will finally come and then I shall know what title I shall pursue.

I shall quill you again when I have decided what feature to grace myself with. In the meantime, I hope your holiday season is just as bright and merry and always with a touch of romanticism. Unless you are like me and need more than just a touch winks

Thanks again my dearest Santa. Until then...
Karin-signature.jpg

*whispers in Karin's ear* Rakugo... Rakugo... Rakugooooo..

...what? I totally didn't say anything! *hides her Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu manga behind her back*

so..."Artiswitch" was entertaining, I'm only one episode into "Given" so I can't form an opinion on it. but "School Babysitters" really isn't my thing. I asked for no child abuse, and in the first episode this guy hits this two-year-old over the head and the kid just starts screaming. I don't want to be rude or anything, I just found that aggravating on both ends. I can't stand crying toddlers or the adults who made them cry in the first place.

...besides that, this rec seems random. I think I see why they chose the other two (one is weird and artistic and the other is hella gay). where did "School Babysitters" even come from? was it because I gave "Barakamon" five stars?

Last edited:
Little late to put a message here I apologize to my santa!

My recs, with little notes to my santa:
1. Ouran Highschool Host Club
Forget the audible sigh, you got a whole ass laugh out of this one. I have a friend who has been dying to get me to watch this, and I think you two would get along. So I'm going to do both of you a solid and give in and start this tonight.

2. Violet Evergarden
Thanks for the excuse to finally watch this, I got the tissues ready.

3. Zettai Karen Children
I have...absolutely no idea what this is, but somehow the original is on my WTW list, but im going to assume its safe to watch this without seeing that?

Lookin like a fun December, thanks a bunch santa! Will update on things a bit more later, and I apologize if i dont get through all 3 before the end of the year. (will try my best)

1/7 complete.
Beastars was pretty interesting, I really liked the parts when Legoshi would go into his thoughts and the animation during those times. I really want to know who the killer is, but I'll probably leave season 2 for next year. I'm thinking of starting Fruits Basket next.

Back