Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

What we're saying is that it's a risky recommendation, because Shinkai really isn't for everyone. You'd say the same about Ikuhara.
I'd say considering that Shinkai's last two movies were massive smash hits globally, and some of the best received anime movies of all time, they're pretty safe recommendations for nearly everybody. Ikuhara is the niche one :P

Ok, finally caught up in this discussion, so here's what I got:
anime:
towa no quon saga
mo dao zu shi
grand blue

manga:
20th century boys
freaking romance
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan

Lots to get through, no idea if I'll manage but I'll do my best. I'm starting with Watashitachi since it's the shortest. Don't know where I'll go after that. Have no odea how I'm going to feel about Grand Blue or Freaking Romance but I am willing to give them a shot. But I definitely think Towa no Quon will be right up my alley. Thanks Santa xxxx

Right! Finished Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and by the gods was it beautiful. I'm normally a pretyy emotional person anyway, but never has a manga so short brought me to tears by the end of it. Love the characters, the message, the ending, everything! Thanks so much for this. Still got no idea what I'm going to watch/read next but expect an update soon xxxx

My Santa's picks this year were:

Tamako Market
Free
Tsuredure Children

Super excited about all of these. I'm going to start with Tsuredure Children, hopefully tonight. I won't be active this weekend though since I'm going to visit family. I'm going to try to finish all my recs by Christmas but no promises.
I really liked Free. :) The other ones seem interesting.

I started Those Snow White Notes today. Amazing how much great sound the shamisen can produce despite having only 3 strings.
Ikr? Another one with great Shamisen music (though it's a movie) is Nitaboh! :D

My Santa's picks were:

-Fruits Basket
-Darker than Black
-Beastars
-Tiger & Bunny
-Barakamon
-Tsurune
and a bonus movie of Howl's Moving Castle

I think ~1/2 were on my w2w list, but it's a nice mix of genres and I'm hoping to finish all of them. I think I'll probably start Beastars tomorrow and finish ~2-3 a week until Christmas.
Your Santa's got pretty good taste. Love Howl's Moving Castle, Fruits Basket, and Tsurune. <3
Beastars I've been curious about, but I'm leery since it has the sexual content tag... (Well, if it's not explicit, I might give it a watch someday myself.) Barakamon has been suggested to me a lot.

Here's the picks I got from Santa:
Keep Your Hands off Eizoken
Hi Score Girl
Link Click
Vinland Saga

This looks like a good selection of anime and I'm excited to watch them! My only concern is that I might not be able to watch Link Click since it's on Funimation (it's my fault since I didn't specifically state "do not choose Funimation exclusives since I don't have Funimation"), but I shouldn't have any trouble watching the others (unless my parents stay up real late since I can only watch Netflix and Prime after my parents go to bed). I'll definitely be able to finish Keep Your Hands off Eizoken, at least (and if my parents don't get long bouts of insomnia, I'll be able to finish Hi Score Girl and Vinland Saga, too).
Loved the first 2, especially Eizouken. The others I really want to watch someday.

My santa gives me an experienced vibe. I think they did a good job, and likely confident and knew that they did.

I couldn't make any guesses to who with not being around, but if I had to guess a profile of them - a bit more on the mature side for age OR have seen a lot of anime (so experienced and for sure not newer to anime), and I want to say is likely in the EU side of the world. If I had to guess 1 further, female, just because ecchi only pops up in 1, and likely not a lot of it. They used a smiley face that is done very differently and rarely seen, it would likely narrow them down massively if I shared it or did some digging. It'll be fun to see how close or far off I got with this :P

I got:
1. The Misfit of Demon King Academy
2. A Place further than the Universe
3. Kaze no Stigma
Bonus 4. (if wanted) Classroom of the Elite
*I Removed any extra text

I'll likely swap #2 & #3 and that'll be my view order. I never came across any of these, though I know the studios fairly well. Looking forward to getting into these, thanks.

Note: It'll probably be a week or 2 till I get to watching anything to comment on it. I like to watch an entire show within 1-3 days before I start forgetting stuff. In approx 24 hours, the FF14 expansion I took 1 week off for releases, and I am going to be really hooked in there day and night since I like to burn through things.

Was not expecting any BL! I mean I like all genres lol.

I got~
- Demons Can't be pretty (manhwa I believe)
- Psycho Pass
- Classmates

Psycho Pass has been on my list for years man. I'm finally going to watch it i guess!
Interesing gift choices I would say. Lets hope I an actually finish at least one of them...

They have arrived!

Anime:
Overlord
ReLife
Re:Creators

Manga:
Urara Meirochou
Food Wars
Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Dearest Santa: Thank you for all these out-there picks. With the exception of ReLife (which I've read before and enjoyed), these are all way outside my regular genres and I'm super excited to get started on them.

Urara Meirochou looks like a quick and interesting read, so I'll probably start there. Aria looks nice. I've seen too many ads for Food Wars, so it's at the bottom of my list with ReLife, but I'll still try get to them if there's time. Re:Creators is the one I think I'll be most interested in -- but I have this sneaking feeling that Overlord is going to defy expectations.

Since I can only choose one, I'm going to place my bet that Re:Creators will be my favorite. But I'm also going to bet that my bet will be wrong, and Overlord is going to overtake it.

Last edited:
Kind of worried as I am not sure if should watch Classmates o read the manga... I read manga faster than watch anime so this is going to be a problem for me oop-

Kind of worried as I am not sure if should watch Classmates o read the manga... I read manga faster than watch anime so this is going to be a problem for me oop-

The anime had really good pacing imo, and I liked it better than the manga (although both were fantastic). There is also the continued story, so maybe you could watch the movie and read the two/three sequels.

Definitely recommend you to watch the movie fist. It's a good introduction into the franchise since the manga timeline is a bit tricky to figure out.

I tend to have trouble watching anime too but for this specific movie the time just flew by and before I noticed, it had ended :P

My santa gives me an experienced vibe. I think they did a good job, and likely confident and knew that they did.

I couldn't make any guesses to who with not being around, but if I had to guess a profile of them - a bit more on the mature side for age OR have seen a lot of anime (so experienced and for sure not newer to anime), and I want to say is likely in the EU side of the world. If I had to guess 1 further, female, just because ecchi only pops up in 1, and likely not a lot of it. They used a smiley face that is done very differently and rarely seen, it would likely narrow them down massively if I shared it or did some digging. It'll be fun to see how close or far off I got with this :P

I got:
1. The Misfit of Demon King Academy
2. A Place further than the Universe
3. Kaze no Stigma
Bonus 4. (if wanted) Classroom of the Elite
*I Removed any extra text

I'll likely swap #2 & #3 and that'll be my view order. I never came across any of these, though I know the studios fairly well. Looking forward to getting into these, thanks.

Note: It'll probably be a week or 2 till I get to watching anything to comment on it. I like to watch an entire show within 1-3 days before I start forgetting stuff. In approx 24 hours, the FF14 expansion I took 1 week off for releases, and I am going to be really hooked in there day and night since I like to burn through things.
Even if you can't get to it by Christmas I highly encourage you to watch Classroom of the Elite. I loved it.

Presents! But today's my first day back at work for the holidays, so I'm way too tired to analyze them now. Probably have to wait for the weekend.
Kill the Villainess
Immortal Undertaker
Neon Revenge
The first was already on my Want to Read list, but the other two I haven't even come across through the recommendations trail, so I'm excited to read them. I read quick, so I should be able to get through all of them, which makes me feel a bit bad for putting a chapter cap on my requests. (Also, I thought we were supposed to recommend completed things, or is that just me?) That's probably all I'm sad about, that they'll fall prey to my growing list of monthly updates.

I got Bungou Stray Dogs, Death Billiards and Pretty Boy Detecrive Club. I was actually planning to watch BSD a couple of days ago, I decided not to but I think I still have it downloaded on my laptop so I guess I'll watch that one first/second.

My gifts are here and I'm super excited!
I got: Angel Beats (I know it's on Netflix rn so I'm going to start with this), New Game!, Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou and Bang Dream! (Santa recommended season 2 especially).
I can already tell I'm going to enjoy them, so if you're reading this: Thank you!!!
I'll write again once if finish my first pick. Happy reading/watching everyone~~

Back