Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2020

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by NorthPole, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Clotilde

Clotilde Well-Known Member

ufff the soundtrack is *chef kisses*

MilissaSexclub and OkamiHime95 like this.
  2. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

Awww I feel honored. That reminds me though, I did end up watching Danganronpa: The Animation this year based on your suggestion and I enjoyed it.

MilissaSexclub and NaelSchenfel like this.
  3. Kakajoju

Kakajoju Well-Known Member

I've finished watching Pandora Hearts.
    Ofc, I picked it first because hot anime boys go brrr. Anyways, I really loved it! I would've given it a 4.5/5 if I had dropped it after the 22nd ep. But I'm lowering it to 4/5 due to the last 3 eps deviating from the source material and I really hate when shows do that.
    It also ticked one pet peeve of mine but that is a minor complaint
    When body-swapping, it annoys me when the voices swap too. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Now, excuse me while I go read the manga and simp over Gilbert.

4. DancingDevil

DancingDevil New Member

Here's my thoughts on my picks:

Accel world:
    There was some things I quite liked in this, mostly in the world building. For example the use of AR was kinda neat and the link cables as a weird form of future intimacy was dumb in a way I enjoyed. But overall this kinda fell flat for me. 2.5/5

C: The money of soul and possibility control:
    I thought this one was really stupid and boring. Also, GC animation in anime sure has come a long way since 2011. 1.5/5

Guilty Crown:
    I thought this was quite alright for the first half. Then the second half happened and it lost me. The production values were pretty high, so at least there was some spectacle to be had. 2.5/5

Starletka and EastIsEarly like this.
  5. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Well, that's how it used to be. It's only been an official site activity since last year. Before that it was just a forum thing the regulars did.

Frankly I preferred it just being an unofficial forum game thing. Feels too big ever since it went official.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  6. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Finished. 4/10. Again, glad it was short. Definitely the worst thing I've ever gotten for christmas. These three were decent overall, thanks first santa!

Now onto my second batch of santa recs!

MilissaSexclub, EastIsEarly and zala like this.
  7. Mithraganhi

Mithraganhi Member

So that's why I could only participate in 2014 and now. I'm not active on the forums but I really like playing Secret Santa. I hope you keep on announcing it on the whole site because I won't see it otherwise and I'll forget next year to check the forums haha

8. Sabure

Sabure Well-Known Member

Finished my first Secret Santa title this morning: Magi: Adventure of Sinbad. This was a very fun show to watch from start to finish, and it's a nice supplement to the main series. Exploring Sinbad's origins to how he was effected from losing his father at a very young age to becoming the first Dungeon Capturer, only to say his final goodbye to his dying mother before going on his adventure to change the world was very interesting and enjoyable. It also helped that Sinbad himself is a fun character to watch. I gave this show a 7/10.

9. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

Dear Santa,
    I'm sorry to say that as I no longer can find full episodes of Real Girl on YouTube for free, (and considering I already have Hulu, Netflix, and Prime, I'm not willing to pay for another app) I will have to stall it for now. :(

I will start SNAFU in a little while, and will give an update on what I think of it.

10. Clotilde

Clotilde Well-Known Member

Oh sure it's fine! I'll try to look one there to find them! I hope they upload it on YouTube =D

MilissaSexclub and OkamiHime95 like this.
  11. zala

zala Well-Known Member

Posted by zala on Dec 8, 2020
    Dear Santa,
    It is time for the next Secret Santa report!

I have finished the third and fourth episodes of Black Lagoon.
    It was when I was watching the fifth episode that I decided to drop this anime.

First, there is a part of me that can relish bad taste, but bad taste has to be more than swearing and shooting.
    Second, the anime dragged after the second episode. I started feeling bored during the third episode.
    Third, the fourth episode had genuine emotional moments. I felt bad that the series was not about the submarine crew.

Thank you for anime that I would not have watched before. Here's hoping that Noragami gets better!

MilissaSexclub likes this.
  12. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

Kitchen Princess is getting a little better, they have managed to slide some mature themes into this story quite nicely and it feels very genuine and realistic, and so does the main character, the main character is so fucking sweet I might get diabetes but I'm okay with that. Romance still feels plain af but all the characters are starting to become a little more unique. Here's to hoping it just keeps going up, I believe in you santa.

13. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

Liking My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, so far. I'll be honest though, at first I thought it was a little "meh" but it's getting better.

14. Trix0n

Trix0n Silver Supporter

I personally hope there continues to be a sitewide announcement for Secret Santa. I'm obviously not active on the forums, but I participated last year and loved it, and am loving this year even more.

Maybe splitting it into rookie Secret Santa and veteran Secret Santa for people who have participated X years would help, so you have one group that's going to be a mixed bag and another that mostly consists of people who are guaranteed to participate.

I might use the forums a bit more to get recommendations throughout the year, but I'm not really in the habit of using them much and I know I'd miss the window for sign up / sending recs out if there was no announcement, and that would make me so sad. :crying:

Speaking of sad, I'm about 3 eps into my second rec, Somali and the Forest Spirit, and each episode seems to get to me. I love it, but what a stark contrast to my first rec lol.

15. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

I feel like NorthPole already has to work pretty hard to put this event together, trying to split up the community into a basic tier and an advanced tier might make things even more complicated. I'm not even sure how it would work, New Members and Members in one tier, Active Members, Well Known Members, and anyone who has a special title in the other tier?
    That being said, it might be more fun trying to guess who a Santa is based on their recs when its a limited pool of active members who all know each other. This year is only my 2nd year on Anime Planet so I never got to participate in Secret Santa while it was smaller.

16. Sabure

Sabure Well-Known Member

Last night I finished watching the other two Secret Santa titles. Here's my thoughts on them:

Kakushigoto: This was unlike the other father-daughter bonding shows in that the body of the series was actually told in a flashback, with the true story being told on the final episode. But it still had it moments and was a good watch. Not as solid as Sweetness & Lightning or Somali and the Forest Spirit, but good enough for me to give it a 7/10.

Your lie in April: OK, I admit that I lied when I posted that I was prepared for what was about to happened. I was wrong - dead wrong. The finale was the most gut-wrenching, heartbreaking, and emotional finale that I watched in a long time, and not just the beautiful piano piece and the scene with Kuosei and Karoi playing their final duet. Kaori's letter to Kousei was an emotional punch to the gut. I was still in tears afterwords while I was posting my Bingo Challenge claims. The series overall was excellent, though I felt that Kousei's mental illness and how he combat it should've been handled better. Kaori and most especially Tsubaki could've been more pro-active in dealing with his mental distress. At times they were a little too abusive towards him, but obviously it wasn't out of spite, but rather their unconditional love for him. Overall a solid 9/10.

Anyway, thank you Secret Santa for an excellent job with these recs. This year's batch was better that the batch I received last season.

17. positiv2

positiv2 Member

One of possible ways is to make two threads, one for people participating for the first time, the other for people participating for at least 2nd time, and have the users sort themselves out. Enforcing it would indeed put excessive strain on the people in charge of Secret Santa, so it would probably have to rely on good faith of the users participating.

Another option would to collect feedback (maybe Google Forms as those are easy to export and parse in an automated manner) on whether the person assigned to you actually watched your recs, and if not, they would be put on the naughty list and next year be matched with other users on the list? Again, more effort for the staff/volunteers, but it should not be too much, I think?

Regardless, as someone who has community management a part of their job, I know just how difficult and time-consuming managing events such as this one are. Keys to success are automation and having enough volunteers from the community.
    NorthPole and his/her Christmas elves did a wonderful job!

18. tigian

tigian Member

Dear Santa,

First thanks a lot for your recommendations!
    I've just finished them and here goes my reviews:

Astra lost in Space : I thought it would be just a planetary version of Cage of Eden, and in that regard it did indeed surprise me, however from that point on it just started to shower me with cliché characters and pretty damn easy survival where a bunch of kids just hyperventilate for 10 minutes and from that point on they started to operate almost on military level precision. Having said that the plot isn't that shabby, having a quite decent conspiracy part which made me binge-watch it in a day.

Full review
    https://www.anime-planet.com/users/tigian/reviews/68988

KonoSuba : when going through the picks you sent me, I automatically thought that I would not like this one, since it seem way to fluffy and being a bit disappointed with the last RPG stories that I tried.
    And when I started watching it, it really was a fluffy-harem-rpg story, BUT this one didn't try to overestimate itself, and the comedy, the MC personality or the bashing of the video game world just meshed into a nice fit.
    So I ended up seeing all season, OVA's and movie available.
    It's one of those series which bring a lot of enjoyment to watch, even if some perks are a bit overused (e.g. Lalatina M tendencies) it still was a great anime to watch!!

Rokka braves of the six flowers : this one was the opposite of KonoSuba, as soon as I saw the synopsis I thought what a great watch it must be and even let it for last so to appreciate it better.
    However from that point on it was quite disappointing, and if not to give a true review to my Santa I may had quitted it halfway.
    The always repeating catch phrases of shounens MC are a bummer but here it wasn't even the begining, after spending so much time overthinking the plot the characters were quite poorly designed (bunny princess, vomiting saint, lots of breast bands.....) and the story basically only focused into 2 characters MC and white hair girl leaving the others without any history and development.
    The story for me was the worst of your pick because this one barely they spend 12 episodes doing exactly what is said in the synopsis, barely any plot twist, and they finish in almost the same situation, while just going in circles around the same topic, and normally I like detective stories but this one just wasn't for me.

Full review: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/tigian/reviews/69668

Thank you for your picks, even if I didn't like them all it still was great to try something new

19. MokraMrkva

MokraMrkva New Member

I finished watching A Certain Scientific Railgun, and I gotta say I didn't really like it. Out of the picks this one seemed like it would be interesting enough but hey - there's always next year! I hope my recipient had a better time O:)

MilissaSexclub and Rascal like this.
  20. Noitra

Noitra Well-Known Member

Okay. Just finished Snow White with White Hair. It was on my want to watch list which is very long to be honest. And I gave this anime 6/10 (or 3/5).
    I really did not find any development in characters and plot. The anime was really boring in my opinion. Everybody is so hyped just because a girl has red hair. And like half of the time passes Shirayuki saying Zen's name. And Zen lacks charm and personality and he is made of absolute good. My most favorite or to say only likeable character I found was Izana.
    Gonna start my next anime recommended by my Santa.

MilissaSexclub and randomredneck like this.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020