Anime-Planet Discord server improvements!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Jun 16, 2020.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Jun 16, 2020
    In an attempt to make things more friendly in the official Anime-Planet Discord server, we've made some changes, with more to come in the future.

[​IMG]

We've added many new channels for discussion:

• #tech-talk - PCs, keyboards, or anything tech
    • #images - memes, fanart, gifs, cosplay, etc
    • #日本語 - Japanese language learning, or simply talk in Japanese
    • #gl and #bl for recommendations for Girls' Love (yuri, shoujo-ai) or Boys' Love (yaoi, shounen-ai). Add a reaction in #rules-and-info to see these channels.
    • #music - OSTs and your favorite songs
    • #server-suggestions - for any ideas or requests you have for the Discord server

These channels are in addition to the existing ones:

• #anime
    • #manga
    • #gaming
    • #off-topic
    • #food-and-drink
    • #groupwatch and #dtab for groupwatches
    • #voice-chat
    • #news, #support, #db-requests for the site

Some of these channels are hidden until you opt-in to see the group: #bl, #gl, and the two groupwatch channels (#dtab and #groupwatch). You can opt into seeing these channels by adding a reaction in #rules-and-info. In that channel, you can also opt in to receiving notifications about the Discord server or Anime-Planet.com site announcements (these same ones!). As well, you can opt into seeing when we add a new bad anatomy cover to the Best Bad Anatomy list because why not! ;)

Anime-Planet quiz night!

[​IMG]

We're organizing a weekly quiz night in the Discord server every Saturday, starting this week! Join us June 20th, 4:30 PM EST/8:30 PM UTC/GMT for a general anime knowledge quiz!

Join the Anime-Planet Discord

2. Feinraf

Feinraf Forum Moderator Developer

Looking forward to quiz nights!

3. SpanglishJC

SpanglishJC Well-Known Member

The server is looking all shiny and fancy!

Feinraf likes this.
  4. Cattrah

Cattrah New Member

Loving the changes! I love the opt-in method too, very sensible.

mesanimes, hinatahonoka and Feinraf like this.
  5. D4RKS3NS3I

D4RKS3NS3I Well-Known Member

Huh, I might even join the Discord server, looking at all these cool changes

Feinraf likes this.
  6. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

Never used Discord, so I have NO idea how any of it works, and most likely won't get it, (especially if I have to do webcam & voice chat, which I'm not comfortable with) but the quizzes, gaming, music, and the Japanese one seems intriguing!

7. SpanglishJC

SpanglishJC Well-Known Member

There is a voice chat channel that gets used on the rare occasion, but it doesn't require a webcam. Otherwise, it is almost entirely text based chatting in the different channels the AP server has.

8. OkamiHime95

That particular channel, or Discord in general doesn't require it?
    (Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just want to be sure.) If Discord in general like the gaming/Japanese/music channels don't require either one, then I might change my mind & actually look into it at some point. (No promises though.)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  9. sothis

Posted by sothis on Jun 16, 2020
    The latter. Voice chats you have to explicitly choose to join, even then you *technically* can keep your mic muted and just listen, but it's a bit weird for the others in chat. There's no webcam stuff - technically you can choose to stream what you're doing in some servers but that still isn't really the same thing

OkamiHime95 likes this.
  10. OkamiHime95

Thank you for the info. :)

I've had some A-P friends asking me to join the Discord, but since I'm uncomfortable with voice chat & webcam, and I've never used it before, (Discord) I've been on the fence about it.

11. Cattrah

Cattrah New Member

I kind of think if they made reddit real time conversation app, with its own emojii's, and opt-in for voice, you'd have a good comparison of what discord is.

I just tell people Discord: The coffee shop of the internet. lol.

Fluffs likes this.
  12. sothis

You could always come in and lurk for a bit, but it's just a real-time version of the forum haha. Friendly folks, the same code of conduct applies there so there (shouldn't) be any meanness or bad stuff. There's a bit of a learning curve to learn how to add emojis/see notifications/etc but otherwise it's fun

Kari5, Cattrah and OkamiHime95 like this.
  13. OkamiHime95

Oh cool! I think I'll actually look into it after all. :D (No promises it'll be soon, but at least I'm more open to the idea now.)

Cattrah likes this.
  14. Yvonnelim99

Yvonnelim99 New Member

Impressive.

15. joyamine

joyamine New Member

cool looking forward to it

16. Demonskid

Demonskid Well-Known Member

Joined! >w<
    Though in big servers like this I mostly lurk unless it's a topic I can relate to or someone I know is talking to me.

OkamiHime95 likes this.
  17. Senshiro

Senshiro New Member

Hey im new on Anime Planet and i love it after 5 minutes on this page ! thanks to the Founder for that wonderfull Anime page !

Kari5 and Nicknames like this.