Anime-Planet.com partners with Crunchyroll to provide in-depth video integration

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BatmanJ

BatmanJ Member

This is very nice to see, I was expecting maybe PV but not full length episodes partnered with Crunchyroll.

Looking forward using this feature and seeing more in the future.

2. Seimeitokoto

Seimeitokoto New Member

This is awesome I'm a premium member on crunchyroll I've used it for about three years now so it's great that this site has partnered with them.

3. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

I am finding more, and more obscure shorts on You Tube and Daily Motion.

4. Hyam1777

Hyam1777 New Member

Is there a way to change the video quality?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Mar 3, 2014
    Lovely :drinking:

6. FullmetalCowboy24

FullmetalCowboy24 New Member

This sounds promising, The A-P staff should pat themselves on the back

7. GoBusto

GoBusto New Member

It looks like the player requires the Adobe Flash plugin to work, so it's not much use for me.

Any chance of a HTML5 version?

8. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Mar 3, 2014
    the plugin code is from CR, so unless they start offering an HTML5 solution, we won't have it on AP either (that being said, if flash doesn't work for you, it won't have been working on the CR site either :) )

9. This is truly fantastic. Well done Sothis (and the AP team)!

10. totavo

totavo Member

Posted by totavo on Mar 4, 2014
    Oh my god, this is a dream come true. Good job Sothis. :love:

11. MuffinsKopp

MuffinsKopp Member

Wow, sweet, I've been a premium-member of Crunchyroll for over a year now (Yes this March) :smile:
    And you now tell me I can just watch the newest releases in HD from A-P? .. *Brain explodes*

12. Demonskid

Demonskid Well-Known Member

This is awesome news. I can't wait till Anime-Planet and CrunchyRoll get so far in with their partner ship to were we can link our AP accounts to CR because i watch all my CR stuff off my kindle. =)

13. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

I think you can only up it from 480 with subscription.

14. Tyranid5

Tyranid5 Member

Very few videos from older series max out at SD, most older series max out 480p. I'm guessing to change the quality you have to go to Crunchyroll.com and change your default quality.

Example: If you open a video and it opens at 720p on CR that's probably what you will view on AP. If you open a video on CR and it opens at 480p that will probably be the quality it plays at here. Since the cache is on CrunchyRoll's end.

15. darksunelite

darksunelite New Member

will their be support for iphone? right now i watch the animes at nwanime.com
    from iphone when im not home or just bored

16. sothis

Posted by sothis on Mar 8, 2014
    only if CR offers support for them - AP will only partner and integrate legal streaming sources, so nwanime won't be one of them :)

17. moh

moh New Member

Posted by moh on Mar 9, 2014
    I think it's neat feature for people who are living overseas, however;

As someone who lives in Europe I don't really give a damn since most of anime is licensed only to Asia and America (and If the show is licensed in America I have even more trouble with finding the source).

I'll be hiding in my nest until better days come.

18. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

I was just thinking... (never a good sign) How exactly does the auto update function get the user's episode count? Is it based on the number of videos watched, or the episode number of the video being watched, or something else?

ie If you've watched 4 episodes and watch one of those same episodes 3 more times on here, will that bump your count to 7?

...Or if you've watched the first 3 eps, then click the vid for episode #10, will that bump your count to 10 even though you've only watched a total of 4 episodes?

19. sothis

^this one - 99% of people watch episodes in order, and may watch episodes in between elsewhere, so it's the best and only intuitive solution

we don't double count views as increasing your count, the system is complex because of how differently different partners list things so the easiest thing to say is it's based on the episode number, but it's more complex than that

20. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

I suspected that would be the most likely choice. There is no perfect choice, but that seemed to be the one with the fewest potential problems. What started me wondering though was when someone on irc was talking about rewatching an old series now that it's on a-p and I thought "hmm, I wonder if that would count toward rewatching, or bump his ep count above the total episodes, or some other oddity".