Anime Clichés You Hate!

When a character especially the MC blames himself/herself for something awful that happened. For example, a tragedy that befell a place or person. Like wtf, it's not your fault most of the time.

This is an actual thing in Japanese society, even talking with Japanese friends they had a regret or something they blamed themselves for, their logic is baffling and they weren't responsible for those situations. During a trip, someone apologized for the weather in Osaka being cloudy on that day, why would you apologize for the weather?

Panties being shoved into the MC's face, and thus the camera.

I didnt have a fetish for it before I started watching anime, and now I've developed a hate complex for it as a result.

Wearing nothing underneath, on the other hand, very favorite cliche.

Panties being shoved into the MC's face, and thus the camera.

I didnt have a fetish for it before I started watching anime, and now I've developed a hate complex for it as a result.

Wearing nothing underneath, on the other hand, very favorite cliche.

You must love Aqua from Konosuba.

When a character especially the MC blames himself/herself for something awful that happened. For example, a tragedy that befell a place or person. Like wtf, it's not your fault most of the time.
Tbh depends how it plays out for me. Like, psychologically it can make a lot of sense as a product of survivor's guilt or part of the character's mentality or whatever but a lot of the time it's sort of a flimsy shounen excuse for the character to get involved somehow.

Tbh depends how it plays out for me. Like, psychologically it can make a lot of sense as a product of survivor's guilt or part of the character's mentality or whatever but a lot of the time it's sort of a flimsy shounen excuse for the character to get involved somehow.

I agree, it is something that could be a very interesting thing in the anime but sadly it often is not, most of the time when it is used as just a reason for someone to get involved with something.

The damn high school girl with the bread in her mouth running to school is the cliche i HATE
That one is a classic yes, but I have to say I loved the beginning of Zombie Land Saga where we have that classic scene of the cute schoolgirl (insert cute music) getting ready for school and hopps away out through the door (without bread in her mouth though...) and get hit by a truck just outside the gate and dies! I didn't see that coming and I laughed so hard! Loved it when they take these old clichés and do something fun with them!

Yeah, I'm bringing this thread back to complain about an ancient one that won't go away.

And that's the "Searching for dirty magazines the first time in a guy's room" thing. It's 2023 for cripes sake. Like this made sense in the 90s when the internet was a slow piece of crap and it took 10 minutes for a freaking picture to load. But now? Who still buys smut magazines in this day and age? Hell, who buys magazines in general? Print media is a dying animal. The fact an episode of Nagatoro did this just further proves this old clunker of a cliché needs to go.

Also, it's pretty rude if you ask me.

School arcs.

I hate when anime/manga that are NOT school stories suddenly decides it needs a "school arc" for the characters. I avoid school shows these days, having seen far too many and find most of them dull, and it just irks me when something I like turns into one and I'm stuck watching/reading it because I want to keep up with the franchise.

School arcs.

I hate when anime/manga that are NOT school stories suddenly decides it needs a "school arc" for the characters. I avoid school shows these days, having seen far too many and find most of them dull, and it just irks me when something I like turns into one and I'm stuck watching/reading it because I want to keep up with the franchise.
Just in case you're concerned about the 2nd Season of The Ancient Magus' Bride, I want to reassure you that the College Arc is really good and that Chise genuinely gets a lot out of going to college and interacting with more people around her own age. It's a different sort of arc, it introduces a lot of new characters and the tone can be a little different, but there are a ton of good moments and all of the core themes of the show are still present.

Uh, but if you've already read the manga, and you didn't like the arc, or if you're referring to something else entirely, no worries.

Just in case you're concerned about the 2nd Season of The Ancient Magus' Bride, I want to reassure you that the College Arc is really good and that Chise genuinely gets a lot out of going to college and interacting with more people around her own age. It's a different sort of arc, it introduces a lot of new characters and the tone can be a little different, but there are a ton of good moments and all of the core themes of the show are still present.

Uh, but if you've already read the manga, and you didn't like the arc, or if you're referring to something else entirely, no worries.

I'll keep an open mind, then. tbh I was kind of dreading it, along with the academy arc for Ascendance of a Bookworm. Handa-kun - while not bad - just didn't have the magic of Barakamon, the teaching arc for That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime was boring, and the school arc of Elegant Youkai Apartment Life completely ruined the second half of the show.

Yeah, I'm bringing this thread back to complain about an ancient one that won't go away.

And that's the "Searching for dirty magazines the first time in a guy's room" thing. It's 2023 for cripes sake. Like this made sense in the 90s when the internet was a slow piece of crap and it took 10 minutes for a freaking picture to load. But now? Who still buys smut magazines in this day and age? Hell, who buys magazines in general? Print media is a dying animal. The fact an episode of Nagatoro did this just further proves this old clunker of a cliché needs to go.

Also, it's pretty rude if you ask me.

While you're right that it is rude to snoop through someone's room, Japan is still pretty attached to its physical media. It probably isn't that unrealistic for a teenager to have smutt in their room.

• Anything to try to undo previous story lines, arcs, etc. Selective amnesia, or any sudden amnesia at all, are some of the worst offenders, but really anything that just spontaneously undoes previous development in the story I hate.
  • Save the cat. This just needs to die. Having a character suddenly do something very good to show they have a heart of gold is just lazy writing to avoid real character development.
  • Leery camera angles, like in bath scenes. Sorry but nope. A lot of series have emotional development in the shower and the bath, but it's neck up for a reason.
  • Inexplicably happy endings. Series where it's meant to be light-hearted and happy, there's no issue, a lot of us love a fluffy story. But when there's million to one odds where major characters should die or a there's deep themes and trauma with abusive characters, and then the ending is just perfectly ideal and happy, I cannot. You can kill off characters or have ambivalent/sad endings, you know.

I would LOVE if someone with a lot of time on their hands would make a list of all the clichés mentioned in this thread. It takes time to look through 48 pages... I have organized a list like that on a Swedish anime site and it works great. You can just look through the titles and see if the one you're thinking of is there or not. :) The one who does this list here will forever be my Hero!
:love:

Now on to a new one that I've been getting more and more irritated about...
This applies to both anime and manga.

Is it okay for me to be with her???
Doormat-MC is a real weakling and has the confidence of a mollusk. He is a dork in many ways but still manages to befriend the hot girl (often a Gyaru). He is so self-deprecating that he constantly questions if he is allowed to be there? Is it okay for him to walk with her down the street? Can I really sit here beside her? What if someone sees us? Will they chase me away? Is this really okay? and so on ...
I find it hard to believe that guys are really that stupid, even those who are introverts.
The girl in question is nice and likes MC and wants to be with him so everything is fine. He is just a stupid git... Or the writer of the manga/anime is anyway...

Gyaru are blond and have big boobs!
Gyarus are always blonde and have huge boobs. Without question the most used image of a gyaru in a lot of anime and manga I've seen. I know there are all kinds so this is just ridiculous.

Virgin-kun
Why is it okay for girls to call guys virgins like it's something bad or ridiculous? Are they themselves so sexually experienced that they look down on all guys who haven't had sex yet or what's the deal? I think they are just as much virgins themselves but nothing is said about that and the guy in question never counters back but just takes the abuse.
Since when is it suddenly something bad to be a virgin when you are in high school?

ADCreHeRdltjnOXApHYzE5VloB2rK5jHFiYqlX7gYMa2CNN2S3_qRZuZIYR1KAYmLpfiSl-6AWVcEsImgotkYsm2P_c7IeNrsgdDBqDbg1XDUFjnRZNJU0_YhvAazIh69JrmnnbpbGCm3bngtyr57fZ5Z6QL2A=w987-h931-s-no-gm

- The prota-kun (in some shoujo romances prota-chan) without any real / own personality, that is just whatever the audience wants them to be and a stand-in for the audience.
I witnessed the same in western media, especially in romances when the girl (or guy) is a doormat and apparantly the author thinks people, mostly teenageers, could relate to that...??

- Fanservice and ecchi...
Wait no, not fanservice and ecchi per se, but how dumb it's written lot of times like the author is ashamed of it himself, so he creates teenagers, who are ashamed of the situation. Alternatively they are not ashamed of it, but the execution is still awful.
And I dare you to go big or go home. Either you give us proper smut and sex scenes and whatnot, but don't come up with some embarassed or weirdly written teenagers, and I dare you to put adult women in fanservice / sex scenes (who also like being in them).
You scroll through the ecchi tag and like 90 % of these seem to include teens and I don't say this for moral reasons alone, but most of fanservice and ecchi are just not sexy or anything.

- Characters like Rudeus, since he's targeting / molesting children and knowing there is the mind of a grown-ass man in that boy and... no thanks.
I have read and watched all kinds of fucked up stuff, but sexualized lolis / shoutas always ick me and especially older characters, who molest them.
That icked me too in Made in Abyss, but the worldbuilding and story were too good to drop. x.x

Back