Anime Clichés You Hate!

Romance anime where the MC falls in love with the person who treats them like shit
MJvWLKQ.jpg
Somehow the first thing I thought of was the infamous ''throw her in the pool'' move

Somehow the first thing I thought of was the infamous ''throw her in the pool'' move
gamer-move.jpg

----------------

Hate: We can blame shounen for this one. I hate when a writer feel they have to have characters "score hits" for a fight to be interesting. But gee, how are you supposed to do that while stretching out the fight? Why, give nicks and cuts, of course. And by cuts I mean deep cuts, just not at "vital" spots. But kids are dumb and don't understand anatomy so you can stretch that reeeeal far.
Trapezius muscle? It's not important to the function of the arms or anything. Just cut deep and still have characters use their arms just fine! In fact, cut into ANY major muscles! Have at it! Blood loss? B-b-b-but no arteries were cut (maybe) so it should still be fine! In fact, lets not have the character be clearly affected until some point into the battle when they get kicked into a wall dramatically. Then they can get to act like their wounds suddenly matter.

It was actually jarring when Kimetsu no Yaiba defied this convention. A character got a whole bunch of "nicks" at once and not long after started talking about the effects of blood loss. But I'd gotten so used to buckets of blood having to be spilled before a character complains about weakness from blood loss when undertaking what's basically strenuous exercise while bleeding. Indeed, any of those "nicks" were actually rather deep cuts by any remotely realistic standard. Any of them would send a person to get immediate medical treatment, probably at a hospital.

Big fat kitchen knives are presented as way too effective murder weapons in anime/manga. Doesn't help when the presented variant is often a type of knife that would absolutely snap if you stabbed someone with murderous intent. And even if it didn't, it's far more likely to just get jammed because it's a fat fucking chef's knife! It gets harder to push into something with every millimeter as it widens from the tip all the way to the hilt! And artists seem aware of this, too, since they never seem to actually depict the stab going deeper than a single finger digit's length.
I blame Detective Conan for the prevalence. Like seemingly 80% of murders early on are done with the same damn kitchen knife.

Murder is absolutely done with such knives, but there's a reason many murder cases with such weapons often involve dozens of frenzied stabs to get the job done, where in anime/manga it seems one shallow stab always gets the job done.

Dat single sweat drop, shriveled skin (as in angry), stomach growling, unnaural poses, facial gestures and all that. Lots of instances, where animators just seek shortcuts instead of trying to properly draw out what their characters meant. Yeah, it's more of the style, art issue, but bothers me much more, than any banal plot development...

Last edited:
It feels so weird when an OP just can't read the mood of the arc it covers. This is not to be confused with an OP merely being contrasting, like the op of Death Parade.
There's dedicated directors for these things, so how does that happen? Probably the most egregious example of this I can think of is the 12th op of One Piece.
That op had no place anywhere near that arc.

And they clearly got the memo since they then tried to compensate by making the two next OPs among the best in the entire series.

It feels so weird when an OP just can't read the mood of the arc it covers. This is not to be confused with an OP merely being contrasting, like the op of Death Parade.
There's dedicated directors for these things, so how does that happen? Probably the most egregious example of this I can think of is the 12th op of One Piece.
That op had no place anywhere near that arc.

And they clearly got the memo since they then tried to compensate by making the two next OPs among the best in the entire series.
...Wow...

Big fat kitchen knives are presented as way too effective murder weapons in anime/manga. Doesn't help when the presented variant is often a type of knife that would absolutely snap if you stabbed someone with murderous intent. And even if it didn't, it's far more likely to just get jammed because it's a fat fucking chef's knife! It gets harder to push into something with every millimeter as it widens from the tip all the way to the hilt! And artists seem aware of this, too, since they never seem to actually depict the stab going deeper than a single finger digit's length.
I blame Detective Conan for the prevalence. Like seemingly 80% of murders early on are done with the same damn kitchen knife.

Murder is absolutely done with such knives, but there's a reason many murder cases with such weapons often involve dozens of frenzied stabs to get the job done, where in anime/manga it seems one shallow stab always gets the job done.

Ohhh, this takes me back to when I was a Bleach fanboy. I thought Ichigo sporting a kitchen knife as a weapon was the funniest thing ever, until he learned bankai and upgraded to a sleeker kitchen knife instead.

Dat single sweat drop, shriveled skin (as in angry), stomach growling, unnaural poses, facial gestures and all that. Lots of instances, where animators just seek shortcuts instead of trying to properly draw out what their characters meant. Yeah, it's more of the style, art issue, but bothers me much more, than any banal plot development...

I personally don't mind the sweat drops in anime. They're mostly what makes anime what it is anyway.

But fanfic authors using "sweatdrop" as a verb... aye, now that's some terrible thing.

i should think more about different cliches from anime and western animation, movies and all the rest... but i can recall with no doubt that it was watching an anime when i realized about the first trope i ever disliked in a visual media. Tsukino Usagi was failing test after test, and i started whining as the 9-10 years old i was back then, "why main characters from cartoons must always get bad grades at school?"

The sheer lack of polygamy annoys me greatly, mostly because of the huge number of series that set themselves up in a way that makes it perfectly viable and not just a joke.

Yeah I just read Luminous=Blue and hit a boiling point of annoyance at the rest of the industry when a short yuri manga that isn't even a harem series actually goes poly but so many of these other fiddlesticks can't grow the spine for it.

The sheer lack of polygamy annoys me greatly, mostly because of the huge number of series that set themselves up in a way that makes it perfectly viable and not just a joke.

Yeah I just read Luminous=Blue and hit a boiling point of annoyance at the rest of the industry when a short yuri manga that isn't even a harem series actually goes poly but so many of these other fiddlesticks can't grow the spine for it.
giphy.gif

Teasing with harems is just friggin stupid honestly. The poly option I think would actually please everyone watching the show, and nobody would be pissed at the main character picking just one specific ship.

giphy.gif

Teasing with harems is just friggin stupid honestly. The poly option I think would actually please everyone watching the show, and nobody would be pissed at the main character picking just one specific ship.
One? Hah. Try none, which happens way too often because some authors think it will piss people off less if they treat the romance like a K/J-pop idol's contract obligations.

One? Hah. Try none, which happens way too often because some authors think it will piss people off less if they treat the romance like a K/J-pop idol's contract obligations.
Can't wait to write my novel and have the main character begin a relationship with an actual tree. True equality is making everyone mad by pulling a complete 270 on their asses and making the MC end up with none of the suitors, but be married to only one of mother earth's children.

Back