Anime Bingo Challenge: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by MistLiigh, Mar 30, 2019.

?

Which of these anime should we group watch?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2019.
  1. Escaflowne

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Excel Saga

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. The Flying House

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. Giant Killing

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Gokusen

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  7. Golden Kamuy

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  8. Keijo!!!!!!!!

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  9. Laid-Back Camp

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  10. Land of the Lustrous

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  11. Major Season 1

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  12. My Love Story!!

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  13. Paranoia Agent

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  14. Serial Experiments Lain

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  15. Tetsujin 28-gou (1980)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Wolf's Rain

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  17. Yurikuma Arashi

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MythicalTurkey

MythicalTurkey Well-Known Member

E3 - Watch a 10+ episode Anime [Mononoke]

I ain't claim this yet right?

Nicknames and FriendlyDemon like this.
  2. FriendlyDemon

FriendlyDemon Well-Known Member

There is no way I can verify that you indeed watched it before the tag was added. Sadly, this is denied.

This anime is not from the 2010's but from 1983 so I can't approve it.

I will approve the two reviews because they were made for some short anime and there is not much you could review but, honestly, it's not in the spirit of ABC and I, personally, don't approve of this practice. APPROVED! You have 325 abstract points. Congrats in reaching level 1!

APPROVED! You have 111 idol points.

APPROVED! You have 23 memory points.

APPROVED! You have 5 grand, blue points!

APPROVED! You have 9 spicy, fluffy points!

You've claimed it now. APPROVED! You have 4 mythical points. And I see that you have evolved to mythical again. Congrats! :D

8MangaMan, MistLiigh and Nicknames like this.
  3. feinraf

feinraf Well-Known Member

A1 - Watch an anime from the 80's - Defenders of Space -Watched as part of DTAB at the weekend.

FriendlyDemon and Nicknames like this.
  4. JadedDragos

JadedDragos Active Member

5. Inu230

Inu230 Active Member

FINISHED:
    A2:[Watch an anime from the current season] → Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Movie: The Battle of Unato
    A4:[Watch an anime that aired last year] → Ninja Batman x Poputepipikku Kindan no Collab CM
    N1:[Watch a shounen anime] → My Hero Academia: Training of the Dead
    N3:[Watch a fantasy anime] → Pikachu and the Pokemon Band
    I5:[Watch an anime by Studio Deen] → KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

--

That would be why I included the screen shot from the day I checked it off as watched {4/23/19}

E2:[Watch an anime movie] --> Colorful (2010)

[​IMG] Whoops that was supposed to be Hi Score Girl: Extra Stage. I'd like to blame Word but I suppose I should blame my eyesight [​IMG] [​IMG]

FriendlyDemon likes this.
  6. HKBattosai

HKBattosai Database Moderator

7. Inu230

Inu230 Active Member

FINISHED:
    N5:[Watch a sci-fi anime] → Crest of the Stars: Birth
    I4:[Watch an anime by A-1 Pictures] → Persona 3 the Movie Meets “Walkman
    N4:[Watch a romance anime] → Sankarea
    I1:[Watch an anime under recommendation] → your name.
    Thank you for the recommendation ^^
    I read the manga so I was familiar with the story and I can’t say I was blown away by the movie but it was decent.

I can tell a lot of work went into the sound design but the constant instrumental symphony-esque poundings were an unrelenting onslaught -- my ears are still ringing from the strings.

I did enjoy Catie Harvey as Yotsuha and Glynis Ellis as the grandmother but I didn’t care for Stephanie Sheh as Mitsuha, and Michael Sinterniklaas as Taki was iffy-alright.
    Though the Japanese voices for Mitsuha and Taki didn’t sound right for teenagers at all.
    --> It’s pretty common for me to find fault with vocal performances in both dub and sub. *sigh*

The decision the dubbing team made for English covers of the songs is one I can support though.
    “Let’s make a sign for when we say nice to meet again” works just as well at conveying the message of the union between Mitsuha and Taki as “If both our voices could carry, what would we say?”.
    --> The Japanese singer’s softer voice matched better with the overall story though.

I think there was either too much pressure on the animation team or they wanted to make this a “theatrical” film and it decreased the entertainment value for this viewer.

I’ll same the same for the dub in regards to vocal casting. Too much reliance on well-versed actors who can do the job but who are so recognizable as this that and the other thing a dozen times over that it makes the listener yearn for something refreshing.

My first personal connection
    “Some morning I wake up crying and don’t know why” → Dianne Reeves When I Cry “I call out your name.” -- oh the feels. If you’ve ever lost someone this song goes above and beyond in connecting with the pain you feel.

My favorite part:
    “You work way too many shifts.”
    “'Cause you keep wasting money.”

Overall I'd watch it again dub or sub but probably not for a few months.

-x-x-x-

-->Want a sweet in honor of L or a red delicious in honor of Ryuk>? <--

FriendlyDemon likes this.
  8. KarmaKhameleon

KarmaKhameleon Well-Known Member

Ahh I see. Well, thanks for giving my suggestion a try anyway. I generally always watch the subtitled version because most of the time the English voices dont seem to match up with what was originally intended for the character, if that makes any sense.

Nicknames likes this.
  9. KarmaKhameleon

OMG, I dont know how you sat through that one.

Nicknames likes this.
  10. FriendlyDemon

FriendlyDemon Well-Known Member

APPROVED! You have 8 defender points.

APPROVED! You have 13 epidemic points.

Can't approved this claim, as it appears that you started watching the anime in January and you must have both started and finished the series between the beginning of the season and the deadline at the end of the season. If you have re-watched those episodes after April 1st, then everything is ok but without that it can't be approved. So let us know if you did that and we will approve.

[​IMG]

It appears that you have already claimed those anime on your 3rd bingo card so you can't use them again.

Thank you for claiming Colorful instead! And I understand that you had the screenshot but I think that we both know it's not that hard to get rid of the tag just for a screenshot :D
    Look, I've made my own! :D
    [​IMG]

APPROVED! You have 364 delicious points. I blame Word for everything though so your eyesight is safe!:D

Nicknames likes this.
  11. feinraf

feinraf Well-Known Member

12. Inu230

Inu230 Active Member

It was a whole lot better than Colorful which popped up when I was looking for Eevee and Colorful Friends {guess it doesn't have a page on AP..couldn't find it}.
    Shortish long story: I was looking up the anime to show someone why Jolteon, Flareon, and Vaporeon are the best evolution of Eeevee and why I don't support the others.

Anyways, both Colorful and Colorful (2010) popped up and I started Colorful first and got less than 30 seconds into it when I exited out.
    My poor eyes will not unsee that filth.​

Colorful (2010) though I enjoyed. The main character did something heinous in life and as result the Powers that Be send him back to see his errors.
    I recommend it.​
    --
    That is it. Starting a new Word now and transferring everything watched and claimed into larger color coded text.
    --
    FINISHED:
    N1:[Watch a shounen anime] --> My Hero Academia - All Might: Rising The Animation {Might as well stick with the series ;}
    A4:[Watch an anime that aired last year] → FLCL: Progressive

MistLiigh likes this.
  13. MistLiigh

MistLiigh Well-Known Member

14. Inu230

Inu230 Active Member

Yays.

All right I'm ready to spend some points again.
    @MistLiigh
    I'm taking control of your signature.

With this
    [​IMG]

15. Inu230

Inu230 Active Member

16. HawkAussie

HawkAussie Active Member

Nicknames likes this.
  17. KarmaKhameleon

Haha nice Pokemon story. Eeevee is cute. But, I hated Colorful. Eeeeek.

BTW I used spreed sheet for my anime challenges. I know, kinda nerdy, but it works. Maybe try that?

Nicknames likes this.
  18. whoosh

whoosh Member

Nicknames likes this.
  19. HawkAussie

HawkAussie Active Member

I properly am going to throw in a couple of the obvious ones that some people are going to suggest and that is Konosuba and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime as they are shows that I personally enjoyed that fits this genre.

Nicknames likes this.