Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki

I hope this ends up being badass. It sounds like it could be a real standout with unique subject matter if done right. Golden Kamuy has been unsteady, but it's improved massively over its run. If this one could come out strong out of the gate it could be a potential dark horse for the season. I'd really like to have these one that deal with different historical periods and groups usually not seen in anime.

I was thinking how I'm always down for a war drama with cool action, but then I remembered how much of a mess Grancrest is. I just hope this won't be the same.

The PV looks rad af actually and Angolmois looks like the perfect show to get furter hyped up for the Ghost of Tushima game. I personally haven't seen a samurai anime about the Mongol invasions yet and it's nice to have something that's not set in the Tokugawa period or around it for once. Hopefully there won't be too much Kingdom-like CGI in it.

EP1:
I like it so far. The characters are distinct and reasonable. It has a nice level of blood, it's not just a gore festival. The style fits the show, even though the grayish grainy filter slapped on top of the footage is a bit cheap.
The characters feel a tiny(!) bit like Golden Kamuy and Drifters, which feels good.
MI9Cjls.jpg

ep 1

It was largely disappointing for me personally.
I was expecting more of a historic, gritty show, but this turned out to be something different.
The characters feel exaggerated in many ways, and the whole thing seems to be trying way to hard.
I agree with ShinShini in that it has an appropriate level of violence and the art style fits it well, but I just don't feel the same charm and deep vibes from this one, as golden kamuy and drifters.

Plus, they throw bunch of references at you right off first episode, bring up some folk tales (Momotarou, Urashima Tarou) and historic facts/figures (Yoshitsune and Benkei's battle), as if that would make this thing feel more Japanese.
But I would have appreciated more characters speaking older version of Japanese, than all of them sounding like they are from a shounen action anime.

Roughly, the settings of this era goes, the Mongols had been invading the Goryeo (Korea at the time) from 1231, at which time the Kamakura Shogunate (Japan at the time) maintained a friendly relationship with them, so they had a good idea of how things stood in the war against Mongols. Goryeo fell in 1270, and the Mongols started their invasion of Japan in 1274. There were obviously few inconsistencies when compared together, but I guess it's to be expected for the dramatic convenience.

The plot might be interesting though. I will continue watching for now.

I dug it.

I’d be fine with more realism with the characters, but so far the exaggerations are not distracting to me. May be the compromise that makes the show have a broader appeal.

But yeah, the filter was at time distracting and at best unnecessary. I don’t think it added that much.

In an ideal world the OP and ED would be more time period approriate but I’m not kidding myself.

Episode 01

Someone thought that adobe's dirty lens filter would look cool here for some reason, someone should've told him it doesn't. Also I wish it had more violence. It was okay at best, I was hoping it would have more violence than this, still too soon to say anything about it, but it certainly didn't leave a big impression on me.

seriously though what's with the grainy filter, why.

Episode 1:

Totally loved it. Second best opening episode of the season right after Cells at Work. I am a sucker for these types of shows. Great action, blood, war, heads rolling. I am content so far.

Although the blonde jumping into the ship made me laugh out loud. Talk about an immersion break. I mean it looked cool in that weeby way. =D

Wholeheartedly hope this keeps up in quality, I need something to mend my broken heart left by the underwhelmingly whatever Altair.

Episode 1:

I'm calling this island Panda Express because they've got Mongolian beef.

I loved this episode. Even with the dumb filter the art and animation were both great. The episode manages to have a lot of action while doing some decent character building especially with the Princess who is already feeling fairly fleshed out with the start of a strong character arc. If the show can follow through with the character stuff and keep the action going then this should be a better version of Golden Kamuy since the art and direction are much more competent here. Can't wait to see more of the main guy's Geek sword style.

Easily the best first episode of the season by a wide margin. All of my yes. Also, best OP I've seen so far.

Back