Alien Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

I'm pretty much over Aliens as a franchise. The first movie is close to a masterpiece of sci-fi horror. The second movie grows the idea to be a bigger more action oriented movie that still keeps enough horror to feel like a worthy sequel. I prefer the smaller scale of the first movie as it lets the audience get to know the characters before putting then in this claustrophobic battle with a monster.

The third and fourth movies both got fucked over by studio interference.

Prometheus is a horribly written movie with some interesting ideas and philosophy. It's both smart and profoundly stupid. It also would have been a better movie if it wasn't connected to Aliens. The same goes for Covenant really.
The central conflict there is an AI playing out its god complex and it could have chosen any kind of monster really. It didn't have to be the xenomorphs.

I don't think there's much more to explore with this universe and would rather they move on to new concepts. Give Geiger's penis monsters a rest.

Wait til they pull a Dark Fate with Weaver and Cameron.

I feel the same actually, at least with the movie franchise. Have been done with it since Resurrection, felt pretty eh about Prometheus and didn't bother with Covenant. The comic stuff is cool, though.

I just can't get used to CG aliens. Especially in well lit shots where the CG is so obvious.

The best part of the movie was the two Michael Fassbender androids. Many jokes have been made about how sexually charged the interactions between David and Walter, but they're actually the heart of the movie. The aliens are more of a side piece to Walter and David's conflict.

I mean still, gayest recorder lesson ever, but also one of the best scenes in the movie.
Appropriate that you should bring up this movie, seeing that the first Alien Movie fame just celebrated 40 years.

Funny, I have not seen anything about this movie in a while. Reading this I realize I remember a lot less of it other than: 2 androids 1 Fassbender.
Anyhow, I guess the whole continuation of this franchise is kinda abruptly halted. I always see Scott's name attached to a prequel, but the dates of a future release has vanished.

So, Alien spawned countless clones and influenced sci-fi for years to come, but I did not know it also influenced METAL

Oh hi I didn't know this thread existed so like I'm a HUGE alien fan, I love all alien movies no matter how bad they are

That said Alien Covenant is 5/5, it's a masterpiece, it's a gem, I will accept no criticism.

Back