Akame ga Kill!

Well, I finished it.

To start, there was so much I wasn't a fan of.

First off, I hated Tatsumi. The guy got on my nerves. He expressed terror at the idea of joining Night Raid one second to desire to kill everything that walked within the next. The characters were all pretty much like this, though. Very simple.

Almost every person had one singular motivation, and no real depth to themselves beyond that. The "evil" was always so over-the-top and straight up bad, (Seryu), and the "good" was always so clear cut and harped on as well, (Night Raid). There was no entertaining the thought of changing sides, and everyone was so sure they were fighting for the proper one, with maybe only Wave questioning himself at the end.

They also killed off an incredible number of characters and expected me to care. I'd originally thought this would be a plus after Shelee (Schere?) died, but that momentary surprise only wore off as the show went on.

No matter how much I watched, the deaths still affected me the same small amount, even when the characters had always been there and were so important. It may sound strange, but Esdeath was my favorite despite her also having single minded tendencies and a really annoying infatuation for Tatsumi on top of not appearing until roughly the second half.

Plus, the danger beasts were kind of a ridiculous, useless thing to throw in. They were mostly just extra antagonists that did nothing for the story except give Kurome and other Imperial Arms users something to play with.

The humor was also very tired, and typically danced around breasts, gay jokes, and weirdly sexualized characters.

But to finish, I was a big fan of the violence, and the occasional darkness in atmosphere really kept me coming back. The final fights were very exciting, even if they tended to get a little too over-the-top for my tastes. I also liked Leone and Akame's melancholy goodbyes. It finally made me care moderately about the dead characters thinking about how much the group had changed. The emperor's change in character was pretty cool as well, even if it seemed a little too rushed to me after so long listening to the minister.

I rolled my eyes at certain points, but I was almost always looking forward to more. I'll never say it was objectively good, but subjectively it was. I enjoyed it, so that makes it a 3/5 for me.

I honestly don't know why this anime has so much hate, but it's just opinions after all. I loved this anime and in my opinion, it was pretty unique. I give it 4.5 stars since it's not my favorite, but in my top ten.

The story and plot I thought were good. It's the second anime I've watched where I'm rooting for both sides. It kills off the 2 main team characters early in the anime then knocking each team almost 2 at the time. Well, I get that, what got me is the last episode. We're following this guy and he's almost like the main protagonist. He dies and the poor guy died before he could actually have a real relationship which he sort of got. But still! Ok, I'm rambling now but my point is. It buzz killed it when every character dies except 2 and doesn't show the real main character her romance. If you're into just killing this is your anime. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, it was just another one of those generic animes - you know, the ones with similar plots, things that give people various special abilities, evil vs. good, secondary characters dying, motive for justice etc. However, it wasn't as annoying as most anime of this type, for example, the main character was actually good at something. So yeah... It was anything other than a masterpiece, but it was decent. Still could be better though even with this plot.

This anime had potential. The theme of revolution and the plot could have been very interesting. It had decently good character ideas; however, they were not well developed at all, and I never really cared when a character died. Instead of adding new characters every other episode, they should have developed the ones that they had, and their relationships. I didn't hate the anime, but I could have easily dropped it.

I just remember that the first episode had the cutesy loli who turned out to be a miniature version of Eli Roth. And I spent the entirety of the final minutes of the episode, which were supposed to be dark and sad and emotional, laughing my ass off at how horribly tone deaf it was. I've never laughed at mass slaughter like that since Code Geass' "Kill all the Japanese" scene.

This anime had potential. The theme of revolution and the plot could have been very interesting. It had decently good character ideas; however, they were not well developed at all, and I never really cared when a character died. Instead of adding new characters every other episode, they should have developed the ones that they had, and their relationships. I didn't hate the anime, but I could have easily dropped it.

I'd suggest picking up the manga then, because the characters are more fleshed out and the ending is completely different than the anime. The manga is no masterpiece, but if you want to see a more fleshed out version of the story then try the manga.

I'd suggest picking up the manga then, because the characters are more fleshed out and the ending is completely different than the anime. The manga is no masterpiece, but if you want to see a more fleshed out version of the story then try the manga.

More Esdeath? Because I'm willing to force my way through this series just cuz Esdeath is kawaii. But apparently the anime doesn't have a lot of her?

More Esdeath? Because I'm willing to force my way through this series just cuz Esdeath is kawaii. But apparently the anime doesn't have a lot of her?

There's a lot more Esdeath in the manga. The second half of the anime condensed the hell out of events or just outright changed them so they could finish the story in two cours.

Catching up on a show that I dropped first ep. I wonder if my impression will change later on.
Ep1:
Monsters, guilds. This looks like an isekai.

The MC is lame. So so lame. The way he got swindled. I want to think there was a comedic aim to the MC‘s financial misfortunes because the story took a very dark turn in the latter half of the episode: The night raid in which we find out that the goodies were actually the baddies. Not a bad revelation because it shows just how bad things can turn out for the gullible MC.

The baddie sucked. “I hate peasants.” That’s one forgettable villain. I guess the writer didn’t give a damn about the motivation of a villian who’d get slaughtered in the first episode. But I think I misheard. “So I infected your friend with ebola”. Did she mention Ebola? MC’s friend has ebola? Did MC touch his bleeding friend with his bare hands? Someone get MC a sanitizer.

What is this night raiding guild? From their deeds it looks like they fight for the greater good. Oh wait. Those members slaughter and swindle. Maybe I should withhold my judgment for the next few episodes. MC gets recruited by the lady he got swindled by. What a coincidence. Now get your money back.

The comedy is in all the wrong places. I did not like episode 1.

Last edited:
Manga fans hate it because it rushed through the second half and then did a complete filler ending. Anime only watchers hate it because it's edgy nonsense that mixes in some awful humor.
In retrospect, it seems like the writers of the anime were made aware of the direction the manga would end up going, took a few bullet points, and left out everything else the manga had like
the Wild Hunt chapters, Tatsumi's dragon curse, etc. This way you can't really compare it to something like Claymore or FMA which completely began doing their own thing from a point on.
Which honestly does kind of make sense, but it still came out the weaker of the two versions as a result.

It was an ok anime, but even after a second rewatch i think it's a bit edgy and got carried away with it's deaths....maybe it's just me, but the deaths are not saddening, but trying to piss me off. Maybe i have a problem with my head D:

It was an ok anime, but even after a second rewatch i think it's a bit edgy and got carried away with it's deaths....maybe it's just me, but the deaths are not saddening, but trying to piss me off. Maybe i have a problem with my head D:
No, I don't think its wrong to have a different perspective on a series. Especially if its one you rewatched recently. Though I think Akame ga Kill was going for shocking deaths the very same way the Walking Dead TV show was. And that show left a lot of people unhappy.

No, I don't think its wrong to have a different perspective on a series. Especially if its one you rewatched recently. Though I think Akame ga Kill was going for shocking deaths the very same way the Walking Dead TV show was. And that show left a lot of people unhappy.
True and i was also a bit unhappy even though they win (at a great cost). I'm not a fan of TWD so i don't know how did that turned out(no offense D:).
I still would love to see another take on the anime (FMA:BH treatment), but unlikely it will happen. Maybe they adapt the sequel sometimes when it has more volumes.

Back