Air

I didn't like this too, but it has more to do with the convoluted plot, ridiculous forced melodrama and the fact the first story arcs are pointless.

i know this anime is 15 or 16 years old anime, but i cant believe no one mentioned the cameo character appearance from the very similar anime "kanon"
no one in this thread acknowledged or mentioned it?? ayu, nayuki & makoto from canon makes a brief appearance in episode 2.
Du6Ktdt.png

Last edited:
I finished the show yesterday, I have some thoughts. Clannad is one of my all time favorite anime but this show is like a very very rough prototype of both Kanon and Clannad, and it fails in a lot of aspects.
This show really made me realize all Key anime use the same tropes. We got the random ghost who's walking around like normal. Illnesses mixed with supernatural. Melodramatic family conflicts. Not to mention female characters' tropes: randomly reflective, obscenely long hair, large hair ribbons, weird catchphrases, animal mascots... the list goes on and on.

The art in this show did not age well in the slightest, and even as a fan (possibly stockholmed) of Clannad art, the characters's faces/eyes here look particularly inhuman. However, I was impressed by the animation in some scenes, especially for 2005 KyoAni. Also the directing had its moments, and I saw a glimmer of future greatness of the studio.

One thing that this anime did differently from Kanon and Clannad was diverting from the romance route. In the end it focused more on Misuzu and her mom's reconciliation, which I found somewhat refreshing. It was everything that came before that bored me to death. Many many scenes were just two characters walking down the street spouting some extremely cliched but trying-to-be-pretentious dialogue. I want to point out that I fell asleep maybe 3 or 4 times while watching the show, one time during the day.

This show is weirdly fast and slow. There were 4 story arcs in 12 episodes, but somehow within those arcs it was extremely boring. The characters' personalities were a bit lifeless (particularly Minagi). They are also given the most confusing motivations, such as the Misuzu wanting to see the beach. Girl, you went to the beach every day...

The supernatural elements were something I was used to from other Key anime, but there were still plenty of unnecessarily weird parts. Like Misuzu flipping from losing her memories to gaining them at the end. The MC turning into a crow and the show never really revisiting him again. So... he died I guess? At the very least there was a bit of framework in the magic aspect, outlined during the period drama portion(s). That's more I can say than Clannad and Kanon.

Back