After the Rain

As soon as I saw that the recipient of the crush was a 40 year old, I knew it was that series! Am hyped.

Looking forward to Aimer's song! The plot is also quite intriguing. With that kind of beautiful animation (and lots of rain), I can hardly wait for this anime to come.

Episode 1

I am not a girl, but I have a spot or two for a sweet and disciplined romance and this hit the nail. While I can't get behind the romance at Magus' Bride and WIT tries to cover that with their atmospheric display, this time the script and the story have much more cute moments to rely on and mainly in contrast with Magus' Bride it is funny and easily gets you smiling.

I really like both characters. Akira being inexperienced and confused with what's going on with her feelings and the manager being a hilarious dummy in some aspects. Even though the relationship physically is not one you would welcome in real world mainly because of the age difference and the girl being still a high school student, that fact was elegantly pushed away from my head and left me in ease and comfort which I don't understand myself. I believe it is because of the chemistry of the main duo, while the other characters handily help to picture the other traits of the probably future couple to be. I also like the civilness of the show, the maturity and very fresh pacing. Also the topic of an interesting exploration and analysis of a teenage girl feelings got me solidly immersed and hooked, while all it is decently original.

Where you can bet for sure this anime is going to score is the music, visuals and atmosphere. I am amazed! WIT hammers with the OST some moments so hard, it might get disturbing with the volume so up, but you simply soon don't care anymore since the songs are a beauty and they combine them with exteriors and still shots of the surroundings to complement it. This is the show where they can score with this approach and push it to another level.

Outstandigly sweet and cute pilot, loved it.

I honestly, really enjoyed this. The OST was pretty amazing, and this episode felt highly atmospheric to me with great direction and visuals, sprinkled with cute moments. I could see this show, possibly being a really interesting exploration of this topic, with the age-gap.

Anyway, definitely keeping my eyes peeled on this show.

Kind of wish the shittyflute guy would shitty flute the OP so I could torture @GenSan with it.

The first episode was really good. I don't have much to add to what @Scalpelexis already said as he outlines the features pretty well. The episode doesn't reinvent the wheel, but execution is pitch perfect. While the premise isn't particularly fresh the humor and charm of the episode make up for it and give the show its own character already. Both characters draw you in. Akira as the intense teenager struck with puppy love and Kondo as the kind lovable dork that does lame slight of hand tricks. They're both awkward in different ways, but it should make the dance between them all the more endearing.

I'm sure @Tents will come to gush after she changes her undies.

Episode 1

My god this was absolutely stunning. Akira was a blast to follow and Kondo is the opposite of what I expected him to be but I was pleasantly surprised with his character. Both were great. And we had some really standout support characters pop out even if they had pretty short screen time so that's a big plus, too.

My first impression is that the show looks more like a character drama with the cute yearning type of romance in the backdrop. I might be wrong but I will take it either way.

This has a nice old school design to it which I absolutely love. Akira is a total eyecandy. I can't wait for the next episode.

Aww. That was nice. Not (immediately) the gut-punch brilliant romance I was kind of hoping it might turn out to be, but I quite liked it.
This doesn't immediately fill me with confidence that the Tsuki ga Kirei -> Tsurezure Children -> Just Because "top-notch romance!" relay race hasn't come to an end.

BUT...there is a chance.

Between the use of silence and implication as storytelling and the serious treatment of Akira's goofy teenage lovestruckedness, this episode makes the series seem like it might have something to say--that is, which is worth saying, specifically about love and what it means to fall in love. And, if it really steers into Akira's youthful yearning and...um, [manager guy]'s middle-aged self-disbelief, we could be in for quite a treat. Especially if they ever get wind of the other's feelings. (Assuming their feelings are in any way matching.)

Oh, and Akira's fantastic. Immediately compelling: both interesting and interesting to look at. (I shouldn't llike her design. But I really, really do.) I'm immediately on board with her angsty, stone-faced exterior and the roiling sea of emotions she can't quite process underneath. Every moment she was onscreen had me captivated--even if only with her.

My only notable complaint is probably that the jokes feel like jokes that don't quite land. That is, there are a handful of moments that are obviously meant to be scene-ending punchlines, but, though they are amusing, they...well, they felt like jokes rather than moments of levity. They seemed less organic than when the more serious moments were the focus, and I felt like they interrupted the flow of the episode a bit. Not to a detrimental point, but I noticed it.

Anyway, after one episode, it seems like things will live and die by how driven by Akira's character development/exploration the show turns out to be. I'm hoping it's a lot.

Fingers crossed the rest of the series is at least this good.

I'll be watching this a bit later. I'm biased against wit studio but magus bride was decent, so i could see this being good maybe. Nothing about it looks appealing on the surface to me so far. We'll see.

I'm trying to withhold judgement but yeah, looks creep as fuck
I mean, this dude is old enough to be her father. And it's supposed to be romantic that she wants to rail him? My ass.

Swap the roles (A 45 year old crushing on a 17 year old) and you can bet no one would be so quick to praise it.

I mean, this dude is old enough to be her father. And it's supposed to be romantic that she wants to rail him? My ass.

Swap the roles (A 45 year old crushing on a 17 year old) and you can bet no one would be so quick to praise it.

You are behaving like there wasn't ever a young female student falling in love with her teacher for example.

Maybe you didn't read my post, because it was under spoilers, but I also went questioning this fact and found it creepy enough, but the anime really does a good job in eliminating this feeling and even you'll find yourself cheering for them.

Yes, I find this topic controversial, but interesting to explore. I saw Kuzu no Honkai, where students (both, male and female) fell in love with their teachers, which ain't that far away and it was a decent insight, going pretty far. Why not?

Now c'mon..how old are you and how old lolis you love to watch? I am not saying you want to rail them, but neither so far is Akira and it doesn't look like the show will portray this.

Last edited:
Maybe you didn't read my post, because it was under spoilers, but I also went questioning this fact and found it creepy enough, but the anime really does a good job in eliminating this feeling and even you'll find yourself cheering for them.
The Hell I would. The only thing I'd cheer for is this girl to get therapy, and this dude to get thrown in the clink for macking on a teenager.

Yes, I find this topic controversial, but interesting to explore. I saw Kuzu no Honkai, where students (both, male and female) fell in love with their teachers, which ain't that far away and it was a decent insight, going pretty far. Why not?
Why not? HE'S ALMOST 50 YEARS OLD. SHE'S A TEENAGER.

@randomredneck RE: The age gap
I think what make it a little less squicky is how the adult in this dynamic handles it. He recognises that she has a crush on him, but doesn't reciprocate and makes sure the relationship between he and Tachibana stays as manager-employee (with a undertone of mentorship that seems like an attempt at redirection on his part). Sure, he's seen as a clumsy fool that can't read the mood, but I think it's more he's trying to figure out how not to feed into her romantic feelings.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify why I like this show considering I usually personally take issue with student-teacher (or teenage employee & middle aged boss) romances. :pokerface:

Episode 1
I'm liking this so far. I like how they've made sure to introduce the other characters that didn't really appear in the manga until a little later.

Though it is a shame they didn't include the awkward conversation about the smelly shirt. :laugh:

Yeah, that bit at the end is still iffy. I figure it was an attempt at showing how he's sorta trying to get into the teenage headspace (in a "oh, to be 17 again" way), but it still comes off as "oh, if I were his age, it wouldn't be so weird"...

Back