A place further than the Universe

06:

Will they ever arrive in Antarctica? Who knows...

I think it'll be a couple more episodes before they get there, but I'm thinking they're be there by episode 9 or 10. There's going to be one more episode of them getting on the boat and then probably another episode of boat travel.

This episode was nice for the way it turned the passport drama into a big moment of character development for Shirase. Before her goal was just getting to Antarctica. It was a single minded dream, but now she's got a lot more at stake with friends and people that believe in her. Just getting to her destination isn't enough if she has to leave her friends behind. This isn't just her adventure now and they're going to do it together.

At least she didn't lose her million yen. That seems like a lot of money to upgrade to business class tickets even if it is a last minute exchange. Then again, Shirase is such a derp for forgetting that she took Hinata's passport, she probably did deserve the scare.

Durian fruit is indeed pretty nasty.

Good stuff again.

06:

My most hated enemy, we MEET AGAIN:
giphy.gif

I think this triggered my PTSD.

This show certainly really is that saying of it being about the journey rather than the destination. Even something like passport drama was spun into something pretty poignant.

Good episode.

Between this and Yuru Camp, I think my /out/ist anime is sorted forever. Just sat and watched all 6 episodes in one go and fucking hell do I love it, the cast is great, the drama is poignant and doesn't degrade into badly done melodrama, I love the artstyle, and now I want to go to Antarctica myself.

Brilliant stuff so far.

I'm going to have to give ep 1 another watch soon then, we're already half way through the season (sort of).

Episodes 1 and 2
Some good stuff with more drama and better characters than Yuru Camp. As far as being relaxing, I'd rate them roughly the same. They aren't very alike, though, apart from being the two CGDCT shows everyone and their mom are watching this season. This wins out because it has an undercurrent of tragedy to it. I hope it just goes full grimderp in the final episode and we see the mom's frozen corpse.

Still, I think that I have gotten too dank for these types of shows, despite both of them rising far above older stuff like K-On!. There's just something... off, and I can't really understand why.

While I don't want to go to Antarctica, I do feel the need to read more about the Scott and Amundsen expeditions (I was very interested in polar exploration as a wee shite), and re-read the two Whiteout graphic novels. MURDERS ON THE SOUTH POLE YO

I just join the choir here and I can't praise the show enough. Love it!
The best show this season in my opinion.
Hilarious, cute, serious and at the same time laid back.

Because pudding is serious bizness:
t4pyQwn.jpg

jEDZz0R.jpg

4dKgjmz.jpg

lcvX4Rv.jpg
Unfortunately this is average size for a British woman and Rin is probably in 8th grade (she's younger than Mari, but doesn't look like they go to the same school). The amount of pudding drastically changes when you decrease her hand's size. If her hand is only 90% of that length the volume drops down to 72% of what this guy calculated. Complicated graph --> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/chshwsyxpf. Slope 1 is volume dependent on hand size percentage, 3 is calculated volume over what the guy came up with. All other calculations can be scaled based on the volume percentage because nothing depends on her hand size again.

07:

Man....I can't stop getting massive goosebumps watching this show, the way they shed the spotlight on the adults, with their own worries, aspirations, and determination in spite of the hardships they face, and the shit that happened. Just fuck me, this is one of the most inspirational shows, I've ever watched.

Basically, me, every episode:
tpG7rrH.jpg

Last edited:
Episode 7:

Man, this episode was a roller coaster ride for me.

When the episode started and the girls kept seeing how grim the situation was, I thought "oh fuck, they're never going to make it to Antarctica."

However, the lack of supplies and support wasn't to indicate that the adults are a delusional bunch that aren't going anywhere. The episode suckers you into believing it along with the girls, but as the girls learn more about the situation, all the hardship is meant to show the adult's utter determination. All the odds are against them, but these people are making huge sacrifices because they want to make this expedition happen. The adults are dreamers too and they've given up a lot to actually make that dream come true. It's a good lesson for the girls, because as much as they've fought to get this far, they've had it easy compared to the adults.

This episode was great at making me root for the expedition. Just all the little vignettes of the crew members talking worriedly or showing what they were leaving behind had good punch to them. When the girls finally got fully on board with the crew at the end I wanted to cheer too.

Not that this episode was all seriousness. There was plenty of silly business to keep the mood light.

Poor Mari is so sheltered. It's cute she doesn't understand why four girls sharing one room would lead to fights. Meanwhile, Shirase trying to public speak is the most endearing thing. Talking in front of people is indeed a difficult thing, but her determination shines through even if she still sucks at it.

Good stuff.

This was much needed, because the characters show more depth over time.
Hopefully, the Antarctic trip brings out more and more from the characters, because they are fun so far.

Pretty good. The conflicts were handled very well and the characters are consistent.

but I have to point out how sloppily the mid-end was handled with the backstory of those adults and their previous journey. One thing that really takes me out of an anime is when someone tells someone else their backstory, even though that person was with them the whole time and they already know. She was just telling her shit that they both experienced. That irks me greatly. She even said "i know" while she was talking and i almost laughed.

Oreo cookie mentality, another positive, the part at the beginning where they explored what their lives were going to be like on this journey on the ship, with their small room and where things were in everything, really sets the stage.

So, I've been watching A Place Further Than the Universe (We've started acronyming it to PFTU in my anime community, so I'm going to refer to it as such) since the first episode aired, opening the 2018 winter season. Honestly, just to dust the rust off my 'first episode reviews' before the season fully kicked off, and boy have I been tossed in for a trip since then.

Going into the first episode I was honestly very weary of the show, what with it advocating children going cities away without telling their parents and all, but knew it overall showed a lot of potential. Leaving episode seven now, all I can say is, this show is the clear culmination of years of MADHOUSE putting out top-tier animes. Now I've been playing this anime when I fall asleep, cause it contains the perfect mixture of happiness, seriousness, and even sadness.

But going into spoiler territory now;
Episode 1 was an amazing kickoff to both the anime and the season itself. The art at first is offsetting and seems underdone... But by the end of the episode, the art style feels absolutely perfectly executed to match the show.

Episode 2 was a slightly calmer experience for me, but introduced by far my favorite character so far, Hinata. But I want to point out for those of you who didn't realize. Aside of about 2 characters, by the end of this episode, you've met every relevant main and secondary character up to episode 7, and you've even been introduced to a lot of the side characters of the expedition(Not just Kanae and Yumiko).

Episode 3 was just fun for me, the scene in the restaurant spoke an invisible language to me, though on first watch, the scene with the ladder made me have to double take as I thought they just entirely killed the immersion with that scene. But never have I been so happy that a scene was just a dream, most of the time I'm actually annoyed by that troupe, but, ever so well executed here. The Museum scene at the end brought out a form of emotion that I hadn't yet experienced watching PFTU, nor did I really expect from it. But it's not an emotion I can explain, you'll kinda have to experience that for yourself.

Episode 4... Ki.Ma.Ri.s Mother. That's enough said for like the first 5-10 minutes of the episode. I was ready to call that scene distasteful, but I couldn't help but chuckle. The training camp was a calmer portion for me. I didn't take anything too special from it, but it also was much more then just filler and kept me calm and enjoying. The sunrise scene again brought in that happiness sensation and wrapped up leaving me fulfilled with that episode, but again, waiting for the next.

Episode 5 is really where the story starts for me. Before this, there weren't really any serious scenes, which slightly disappointed me. But by that I mean, there was only really lighthearted serious scenes prior to episode five. Like Kimari encouraging Shirase. Kanae rejecting Shirase's money. etc. Megumi's revelation was a punch that the show hadn't built me to expect. It wasn't anything overly decisive but it was enough to show that the episodes following this were going to start having a much more serious tone to them.

Episode 6, and boy did episode six not fail to deliver. If you've read the entire post until here, and you've watched this episode already, you probably know exactly what scene I'm going to dig into, but I realllllllly want to open this scene up. We'll start with; what scene? Hinata in the room after Shirase gets out of the shower. I have seen, so many animes and even western cartoons/dramas, try to make a scene like this, and it always falls flat in execution. But PFTU nailed it home, from the voice acting, to the location of the camera, to the exact words they used, and even Shirase's reactions fell nearly spot on to what you can expect if you ever tried to explain this to someone.

Episode 7 ohboy. This entire episode... Rollercoaster ride every couple minutes. Then from like 18:00 to the end of the episode, prepare to have your emotions basically toyed with. Especially when they run the exiting music. Their perfect timing at playing that song pushed me over the edge and I teared up.

The last thing I want to say is, like I said in episode seven. They play that music right when it means something, and let you linger in the last minute or two of the show listening to that song. And it envokes, every episode, a different type of emotion, but also the same one.

Frankly, out of 14 animes I started this season with, and the additional 6 overall I picked up as the season went on. Nothing has competed with PFTU for my number one spot in the season, and I'm so glad the series of events that led me to click watch on it occurred.

Episodes 5 + 6 + 7

When I need some happiness, this is the show I go straight to. Let's say it's not technically brilliant, but the amount of inspiration, enthusiasm, optimism, determination is neverending. The characters are pushing for their dreams even though it all seem so unrealistic, they try and sometimes it all is about making that extra step out of the comfort zone which we are lazy or afraid to do.

But at the same time, the girls are dealing with troubles from the sphere or reality and tackling obstacles in an adult way, dealing with some pesimism too, but in the end finding a way out of it through an entertaining learning and funny process. The script for CGDCT tend to be so superficial and expected miles away, but this show takes it a step further with the gags being one move ahead from prediction, their lines being refreshingly crisp and decently original, while every character fills their distinctive role. I still love Hinata the most since she is a funny mixed bag of unnerving and relentless lively happiness and self-growing responsibility.

I appreciate the look inside the trip details and the reality of its construction and processes. It would be so easy make everyone pumped, seemingly working for free, but that's not how such a stressful expedition works with little financial backing. The girls learn with the adults and as was said before: The journey is more important than the destination.

Great show, so much full of surprises. The execution is top-notch. Getting used to white lines.

Episode 8:

This was a good bit of progression from the last one. Last time the girls learned about the hardships the adults have gone through and the potential hardships they will face. This episode they start to actually feel the consequences of their actions and start to see new hardships they never even thought of.

The main group are amateurs. They don't really have the training, strength or stamina to keep up with the other expedition members. It's all they can do to do their basic work, but they have to be better if they don't want to hold the group back. They need to get stronger, but then the sea sickness hits and things get even rougher for them.

There's a lot of good humor along the way as the girls realize they're just getting started, but they've already underestimated the toll this expedition will take on them. Got lots of good laughs at the simple things the group hadn't thought of.

Of this show wouldn't be so great if it didn't show the characters coming to terms with their hardship. The scene with them going through the turbulent current was scary, triumphant and uplifting all at the same time. The current is just like their lives right now. Nothing is settled or certain. However, that's no reason to be scared off or give up. They girls through their bond with each other are able to affirm their resolve and come out on the other side better and strong for it. Ready to work and do what they need to to keep up.

I like the adults are keeping to their words and not coddling them. The adults will give them advice, but they still leave them to their own devices and expect them to do their work.

The last couple of episodes have really focused on the main characters as a group. There's not a lot going on with their individual arcs, but their group dynamic and friendship are a damn pleasure to watch.

08:

I definitely understand the sea sickness feeling all too well fam, fucking hate boats, and sitting in cars too long. The queasiness be REAL.

08:

I definitely understand the sea sickness feeling all too well fam, fucking hate boats, and sitting in cars too long. The queasiness be REAL.

@Tents gets car sick too. I've never had a problem with either. Still wouldn't want to go through that rough current, though. That looked violent as shit.

I liked the ladies take on it, though. She just saw it as another battle to win. Something all the adults are familiar with.

@Tents gets car sick too. I've never had a problem with either. Still wouldn't want to go through that rough current, though. That looked violent as shit.

I liked the ladies take on it, though. She just saw it as another battle to win. Something all the adults are familiar with.

I have a fear of water, and can't really swim, so that's just double the scariness.

Funny, how they made a scene, with a boat getting violently rocked, so upbeat. This show's never ending optimism is certainly something, and I'm usually the cynical bitter asshat in life.

Funny, how they made a scene, with a boat getting violently rocked, so upbeat. This show's never ending optimism is certainly something, and I'm usually the cynical bitter asshat in life.

True dat, they turned something frightening into a moment of triumph. The insert song there was great.

Back