86: Eighty-Six

Am I wrong in thinking that Henrietta's childhood friend was Shin?
Sad that they are actually accepting their destiny of dying fighting. Only 5 at that.
The show keeps getting interesting with all the pieces of lore dropped one by one each episode. Seeing that the LN is still ongoing, I imagine there's hopefully a lot more to the story.
I still don't get how every Alba is ok with the status quo since, from my understanding, the fact that the "Unmanned drones" are actually the so-called "86" (which at this point seems to be only a name given to people of a different race) seems to be a known secret.

So there was some shit in other girl's past after all, I had a feeling since she didn't seem like the typical ignorant citizen about the 86. Seems a lot of the alba struggle with guilt and basically want the 86 to die so they can pretend they never existed in the first place. I guess guilt may wash off with consecutive generations but there will always be evidence that the 86 existed. It would come back to haunt them even if they didn't die by legion, having no one else to protect them... yeah I can't get a grasp on alba administration's thought processes here XD

No matter how you look at it, making sure your only fighting force dies is a terrible idea.

Goddamn shin's brother was sure weak-willed. That was a creepy post credits scene.

" this country is full of fools and villains . There's no hope for humanity here to have equity and dignity " said lena's uncle . He summarised all of shit in Alba country even the statue of their saint Magnolia who was executed for the sake of their wealth and greed . I expected Henrieta past will be something like that . As she seemed emotionless and didn't give any attention to lena suffering in her mission . I can understand her feelings of hate toward Lena for her unrealistic and ideal thoughts after experience like that . I wonder what else will happen after all of these depressing episodes.
Much appreciation to all of the effort made in music and soundtrack in this series , as expected from Sawano Hiroyuki

Episode 8:
Am I wrong in thinking that Henrietta's childhood friend was Shin?
I'm pretty sure that's what they were getting at, yeah.
I still don't get how every Alba is ok with the status quo since, from my understanding, the fact that the "Unmanned drones" are actually the so-called "86" (which at this point seems to be only a name given to people of a different race) seems to be a known secret.
I think it's only the army that's in on the secret, but I agree. It's starting to bother me how no one in the army will at least sympathize with Lena... Even though they've lived with them in the past. Hopefully that's something they will address in the future. (Well, now that Annette openly hates her, Lena needs to make new friends LOL.)

Speaking of that, Annette's character is disappointing, she turned on Lena so quickly it was a bit too on the nose for me. Before, she was just subtlely selfish and cruel in speech, now she's just "I hate you." Also, Annette equating Lena's passive "cooperation" (if it can even be called that) with the system with her own intentional denial of human rights... Like, I can see the flaws in Lena's idealism. And definitely would be frustrating to be friends with her since she just complains about powerlessness. But saying she's "just as guilty" was stupid.

I liked the conversation with the uncle a lot more, and the scenes of the 86 bravely marching on were heartbreaking. I wonder where they're gonna go with this brother character.

Also still holding out that Shin doesn't die since... I'm a trash romantic and want him and Lena to meet ok bye

Now this was a build-up episode if i've ever seen one.
Lena taking the L on every occasion here, although imo Henriettas speech was way-over-the-anime-top. This "i secretly did hate you all the time for shallow reasons i just bring up now" trope is at least for me really very unrelatable and always unenjoyable to watch. Also like how Lena is supposedly at fault for the remaining 86 to die now, is pure bs. If they had died earlier, then they'd be equally dead. You know, people die if they are killed.
On the other side the 86 marching to their graves with their heads held straight up was a great scene. Emotional, epic, great guys.
Another point that's nagging me the whole time is kinda how the 86 thinned out and died off-screen, sometimes even to battles not mentioned once. From the flashback scene in the cafeteria, most of the people i had completely forgotten about. Even with the final 5, i know there is shin, tall guy, red hair girl, light purple long hair girl and the last one. It kinda feels like the author wanted us to care about them all, but at least for me the emotional focus in this story has always been Lena & Shin. Even Shin's long "dead" brother feels more fleshed out than most 86ers.
With 3 episodes left, i am very excited about what's coming, since i highly doubt the batlle with Shin bro will take all 3 episodes.

Btw: who did also take a look back at the cover image after this episode ? ;)

Episode 9:
Man, I am so extremely pleased with this adaptation. I was really looking forward how they'll adapt the fight with Shin's brother and the surviving five's journey into Legion territory so they can die and by God the anime team really nailed it. The scene with Lena running out of the building to get more Para-Raid signal just so she can be connected to them for as long as possible was done better in the anime. Nearly made me choke up. The scene in the novel was good but it was just tons better here especially with Hiroyuki Sawano's music playing in the background.

I am also surprised they really took their time with this adaptation, like 80 percent of season one is just the first volume. Usually for LN adaptations, they cram a whole volume in just three or four episodes. I'm guessing the remaining season one eps will be 1/4 of the second volume. I dunno if there will be more after the second cour because there's still 7 volumes worth of material to cover.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, the one thing that surprises me the most about this show is how loudly Milize is allowed to speak her viewpoint.

I guess I'd expect she'd have more people agreeing with her. Maybe my view of humanity isn't pessimistic enough lol. BUT, if this kind of speech isn't cracked down on at all, you'd expect some sort of niche support no matter how small right? Especially if people as young as Henrietta can remember their neighbours being carted away... Then again, this may just be something that hasn't completely been covered in the lore, or we are meant to assume is the case. But since we see Milize speak so freely to people, even people in high power, it feels it isn't the case.

If people can just SAY this shit like Milize did to a whole classroom of people... I feel more people should ultimately agree with her.

Really surprised... she came to the conclusion about the brother.

Convincing her former friend Lena to aid in her hacking of the mortar and visual system by revealing Shin is alive and commanding her squadron was pretty heavy. That she spared Shin's brother, so he could connect and release said sibling from Legion control, that was also impressive. I do hope for more, as most of the first arc appears to just be in these episodes alone. Also, odd that a para-raid has a limit right? Or maybe its because its Legion territory that its jammed or some other sort of interference.

Also, odd that a para-raid has a limit right? Or maybe its because its Legion territory that its jammed or some other sort of interference.

Both.

The Para-Raid has a limited operation area and the no man's land beyond Republic territory is also being jammed to hell by smaller Legions called "Einstagfliege" that also disrupts aircrafts. You know those small insect-like Legions shown in the previous episodes.

Last edited:
whats going to happen after this? like are we going to focus one shins team for the rest of the anime series or are we going to focus on the republic and what not. I havent read the manga so I dont know and I dont want to read it to keep the suspense.

Episode 9:

I am also surprised they really took their time with this adaptation, like 80 percent of season one is just the first volume. Usually for LN adaptations, they cram a whole volume in just three or four episodes. I'm guessing the remaining season one eps will be 1/4 of the second volume. I dunno if there will be more after the second cour because there's still 7 volumes worth of material to cover.

God that bothers me so much.
Because its anime, they wont even make the attempt to cover the rest of the story, 86 may get a second season, but the odds of getting a 3rd or 4th are just close to 0. you have to be AoT big to actually conclude the anime.

Episode 10:
What the hell, man...

This whole episode was like 90 percent anime original. Only a few scenes were from the novel. Nothing major happens until the end but it feels wrong to call it filler because there's so many cool foreshadowings (especially that part where they were exploring the town), bit of world-building and best of all they expanded on so many things that were only briefly touched in the novel.

They actually showed us Haruto's death. It was brief albeit effective. Like Kujo and Daiya, his death was only mentioned in passing in the novel.

Plus that cool montage in the last fifteen minutes was really gut-wrenching, especially the reveal that it was actually Fido's life flashing right before his eyes. I mean Jesus. In the novel, Fido's death was fast and brief but the anime is actually going out of its way improving the scenes from the novel and adding so much stuff.

I was expecting we'll be in volume 2 by now but S1 is really wringing anything it can get from the first volume. I mean the full story hasn't really properly started yet. Volume 1 is pretty much a glorified prologue but despite that the anime staff is really going above and beyond here and really taking their time. I guess it's too early to say that the 86 anime is a gold standard for LN adaptation but it's definitely one of the better ones IMO.

Last edited:
Nooooo Fido! My metal dude, faithful partner of the battlefield! Sigh, that was heart wrenching to watch his/it's memories of the all the kids, the lives of the Eighty-Six, and then wham! Taken out in a puff of black smoke and fire. Damn man.

I can't trust this show anymore. I keep getting backstabbed and bamboozled when I let my guard down.

I will not hesitate to say this was the best episode of the entire season (for now -_-). The way the battle unfolded and how we saw changes in the main characters prove that the entire plot is about to shift big time. It's so goddamn interesting to see a cold character like Shin break down as he did. Shit, I wouldn't blame him after they rolled out that montage of his brother. Everything was going so smooth until Nii-chan apologized. And to add salt to the wound, we get to see the crew spread their wings and fly off to the horizon, much to the Major's dismay. Honestly, this is melancholy at its finest. Damn you creators and damn the Republic. But I think the biggest takeaway from all this episode is Lena's a baddie.

Wow, an actually chill episode. So peaceful getting to see the kids finally be kids. Much deserved and much needed after all that chaos. Oh wait...I forgot this was 86. Well rest assured creators, you really got me there. Right in the fucking gut. I had a feeling this ambience was too eerie. Of course the montage at the end wasn't there for a happy post-credit. Of course somebody had to die in an episode. But the damn dog?! They gave that thing so much development in one episode just to kill it off. And for extra reassurance, we get a recap of all the Ls this series had to slap on our faces... you know, cause why not.

I also never expected the EDs to have as much significance as they did. It's just an onslaught of pleasantly painful surprises at this point.

Totally gonna make a review on this beauty after the final episode. There's just so much to cover. But in a nutshell:
5dqnsd.jpg

Last edited:
So the ambience of this episode, the after skirmish with the Legion, the tribute to Fido, their daily lives using Shin as a beacon to avoid Legion forces. The school bit was good, wholesome fun that I didnt think would last and true to the show, it didnt. Shin went ahead to sacrifice himself and the gang followed suit. I hope the Major joins the attack, to reach their final resting places, although the Shepard that he engaged spoke of a Princess? Do the Legion have some sort of virtual kingdom going on? Now I want to learn more..

Goddamn. These mad lads... They're actually saving the ending of volume 1 for season two.

That scene with Lena finding the photo of Shin and crew always gets to me. This is a real turning point for her character because after finally seeing the faces of the Eighty-Six under her command she finally builds up her resolve for the awesome shit she's gonna do in the future. That determined look on her face was a nice touch by the anime staff.

Also, the introduction of that one character... Man, I can't wait for S2.

Overall, S1 is a great adaptation of the first volume. Well 90 percent of the first volume. The anime staff expanded on so many stuff that were only briefly touched and mentioned in the novel. With the exception of that awkward classroom scene, all of the anime-only content were great and made this adaptation better than the source material in some places.

4 out of 5 for me.

Last edited:
So in the end
everyone is dead and nothing changes. Wow, what a sunny ending...

This show was too depressing. Can't see myself sitting through a possible season 2.

2.5 out of 5.

Back