Freedom

It was alright. Plot wasn't too strong, but Otomo's character designs were good as ever.
Still don't really like CGI, but this at least kept an anime feel.

Why do I want a cup noodle? Even more intense advertising than Darker than Black

oh this one looks interesting.
maybe I will watch it as well if I can find it.
Join us on the 30th if you can... or if you can not wait, post what you think before then. =)
https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/club-chat/21211-find-your-anime-buddy-123.html#post647434 Think we are going to do 3 a day, so like it will be done in 2 - 3 days being that it is only 7 long.

It was alright. Plot wasn't too strong, but Otomo's character designs were good as ever.
Still don't really like CGI, but this at least kept an anime feel.

Why do I want a cup noodle? Even more intense advertising than Darker than Black
Yeah, it is one of the few Otomo things I have not seen yet. =) thanks.

Oh wow, I think I am going to like this series.

Ep 1 has Katsuro Otomo's feel alright. The character look, the "averageness" to the characters that I always admired. And then there are the machines. Ahh yes, the new fangles bikes that are a cross between his glorious designs from Akira, to the rolling personnel tanks in the Manga.

But the Akira similarity is also present in a couple other avenues of the story. You have a ver kenada-ish character, who is the charismatic leader of a small group of three. You have a rival band that is like the clowns with a leader like Joker. There is also a dominating government, overseeing your every move.

This is however where the similarities seems to stop. For one, it is not the rotting cesspool that NeoTokyo was in Akira, nor is our main protagonist anything as dangerous as Kenada ever was. His rivals are also sugarfree compared to the Clowns.
So far I am enjoying everything about it, the new style animation does take some getting used too, but I really like how the machines and background look so sharp. I will say the characters themselves look like they are from a video game adaption anime. so they can take some getting used to and are a little stiff.

Episode 2

I like how the fashion of youth end up with our protagonist Takeru wearing a space outfit from Nasa days. A replica. What a novel idea for how the future would look.

Anyhow, that was a killer feeling at the end of ep2.
finding what looks to be messages sent from Earth.

Interesting first episode, I agree the style is something I'll have to get used to; it's got almost a video game feel to it. Some of the movements feel like they're a little unnatural, but at least it's clean.

Man, that kid does not have any luck with blown engines does he. I also kinda wonder if those races are a sanctioned event or if they're done in secret, it's kinda odd that he'd get punished for modding his engine and then they let him race.

Doing some stuffs for the next couple of hours, watching ep 2 after though.

Edit: Finished watching 2 and 3, I like where this is going. Still a little meh about the animation, some of it makes movements look really unnatural. I'm not really a fan of the OP either, but the rest is good times.
I really hope Bis stops crying like a little girl at some point. I'm also a little curious to see what they're going to do to Kazuma and Taira with the entire "re-education" thing they mentioned.

Last edited:
Interesting first episode, I agree the style is something I'll have to get used to; it's got almost a video game feel to it. Some of the movements feel like they're a little unnatural, but at least it's clean.

Man, that kid does not have any luck with blown engines does he. I also kinda wonder if those races are a sanctioned event or if they're done in secret, it's kinda odd that he'd get punished for modding his engine and then they let him race.

Doing some stuffs for the next couple of hours, watching ep 2 after though.

Edit: Finished watching 2 and 3, I like where this is going. Still a little meh about the animation, some of it makes movements look really unnatural. I'm not really a fan of the OP either, but the rest is good times.
I really hope Bis stops crying like a little girl at some point. I'm also a little curious to see what they're going to do to Kazuma and Taira with the entire "re-education" thing they mentioned.

Yeah, sorta a wimpy dude. This trio reminds me of kenada Yamagata and that other guy in Akira.

I did not hate the opening, cause it is Uteda (however that girls name is spelled) I just find the ending bland and lifeless.
lol
I agree
he blows more engines, and so does the other guy with the eternal nose breathing strip on his face.
Does Takaru's bike look like a Lazyboy on steroids?

Anyhow, I agree, the weak point is the gamer look. I think I know why Skankfish said something about Cup-o-noodles. =P

Seriously though, you can't get that much nutritional value out of Cup'o'Noodles.

You know, I think what I'm lacking in this show is a sense of danger, or at least in episode 4 and 5. I mean, in the first few there were those robots chasing them and the impending sinister administration team, but as soon as they got to earth it was like oh hey, everything is happy go lucky! You knew they were going to run into some guys who could give them gas, and you knew that Ao was going to be like wait, they got my picture when Blue Earth had a gun on them, and even in the Hurricane you knew they were going to survive and manage to save the rocket. I'm hoping in the last couple of episodes the sense of doom may come back, or at least find out what the hell Freedom is >.>

I just got to 3 where they are on
Earth. I feel like this is Mad Max2 the G rated version. actually I did not expect the direction the show is going.
I will be watching 4 and 5 tonight =)

Ok Edit**

Ep 4-5
Finally we get to meet
the unknown girl I was sort of hoping that when we met her, she would have been an old lady... like as if time had been long. But, anyhow. I am wondering (with how this show is going) if Takaru will be heading back to the moon? Liberate the more well off Moon people.
Biz has a crush on an older DJ with no bra... OK.

Last edited:
So I just finished it off and....

I'm still not sure what to think. On the one hand I like it, it's got an interesting premise and I want to like it, but it falls short in several areas. I think it's partly because of the relatively short length of the series, it seems that a lot of the story was rushed making it rather predictable.
For example, you absolutely knew that Kazuma was going to turn around in the end and help everyone. The like two year gap between episode 5 and 6 was something that really could and should have been expanded on. I would have loved to see the story of Kazuma and Taira in Eden, and would have loved to see the actual life on Earth, make me see why it's better than Eden other than the "it's not boring" crap they kept on going on about.

All in all a decent series with a lot of missed opportunities (I've said that line way too many times for way too many series... sigh). I never really got used to the animation style, but that wasn't a huge issue... I'd give it a 3.5/5.

Yeah you sort of nailed down the flaw in the series. Cool design, interesting premise, decent cast... BUT It is like having a deck of double sided playing cards. There is no mystery what-so ever.

I am watching episode 7 right now, and unless Tomino from Gundam is writing the story, I doubt highly for a bloodbath of death or anything.

Yeah you sort of nailed down the flaw in the series. Cool design, interesting premise, decent cast... BUT It is like having a deck of double sided playing cards. There is no mystery what-so ever.

I am watching episode 7 right now, and unless Tomino from Gundam is writing the story, I doubt highly for a bloodbath of death or anything.
It's entirely way too happy go lucky for that to ever happen. Like, seriously, everything in this series works out way too neatly.

Edit: One last thought, I think one of the oddest things in the show was that no one seemed to have aged at all. A span of several years pass through the course of the show, and everyone still looks the same, and for the most part wears the exact same clothes. That's just plain odd.

Last edited:
It's entirely way too happy go lucky for that to ever happen. Like, seriously, everything in this series works out way too neatly.

Edit: One last thought, I think one of the oddest things in the show was that no one seemed to have aged at all. A span of several years pass through the course of the show, and everyone still looks the same, and for the most part wears the exact same clothes. That's just plain odd.
heh, I guess the elixer of youth is going in-between Earth and the moon.

I thought the "Kazuma!" "Takaru!" "Kazuma!" "Takaru!" yelling was very reminiscent of Akira.
"Kenada! Tetsuo!!!" "Kenada! Tetsuo!!!"

As for too neat, I would tend to agree.
it would be hard to put a recommendation of Otomo's other works due to it's easy-breazy attitude. one of the best things about his older works, was his bent sense of humor and darker premise. Something like The Order to Stop Construction from Neo Tokyo, Cannon Fodder from Memories or the intro and end of Robot Carnival, you could see his more adult works.

Oh well, I think I will put in a recommendation for Tide-Line-blue it is somewhat close to the feel.

Probably 3 of 5 maybe 3.5 from me. it did have some killer designs that may have saved it. I personally grew to like the look of the animation.

Anyhow, thanks for watching it Viduus.

Yep, was fun, more or less. I'll keep an eye out for another buddy session if it's something that I haven't seen and am moderately interested in ;)

Back