Glass Mask

H

Hera

Glass Mask

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

It's never published in America, so I guess most of you don't know it yet...

To say about Garasu no Kamen, I must first compliment on his beautiful drawings, then its dramatic plot [just like a play with so many surprises].

Introduction: GLASS MASK
Glass Mask scanlations online: Mangasync.org

1. If you aren't happy with your appearance and always think that you're good for nothing, welcome you to the world of GM to recognize that: In this world, everybody is imperfect and no one is completely useless.

2. Let's enter the world of GM to figure out that: Life without passions is completely meaningless.

3. You face failures and want to give up? Let GM tell you that: Life is unfair, yet one can surpass his limit with his honest potential.

4. Read GM to remind yourself to: always think before acting, especially when you gain some fame and success. Precipitous actions always lead to your own failure.

5. If you think that the world is pink, GM will reveal the truth to you. Behind the world of rainbow are jealousy and plenty of dark schemes.

6. If you want to enrich your knowledge and learn more about the lives of the artists/actors/actresses, GM is the right manga for you.

7. The last message - but not least - that GM wants to deliver to you is: A seemingly small action can actually bring great happiness to others (you'll discover this when you read the manga) :)

After all, GM is one of the best manga, and of course, it's worth your attention and... money! ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Glass Mask was sitting on my plan to watch list when I was previously randomly adding anime.
I decided to give the show a try. So I watched the original, and I'm in the middle of watching the remake to compare both versions of the anime.

It's an OK anime. I would give the remake of Glass Mask a 8/10 simply because the show kept me engaged with how Maya Kitajima and Ayumi Himekawa transitioned to playing different characters for various settings. But I'm somewhat nitpicky.

How does the original compare to the remake?
  • The original Glass Mask was shorter in episode length. It had 23 episodes compared to the 51-episode long remake.
  • The art styles and character designs were different in both versions.
  • The remake had more natural hair colors, and a more modern art style. There's more details in the character's eyelashes in the remake.
  • The original had the traditional paintings as backgrounds which was a characteristic of anime up until the late 1990s. The remake had more modern backgrounds.
  • Rei Aoki's hair color was green in the original. She had a more natural brown hair in the remake.
  • Masumi Hayami had blonde hair in the original. He had brown hair in the remake. Yuu Sakurakouji had black hair in the original. He had brown hair in the remake.
  • The original opening song was slightly longer than the remake's and was ~2 minutes long.

So far...what I dislike about the Glass Mask anime is that the characters' facial expressions are somewhat stiff for actors. The actors are somewhat expressive. But they use more physical movements than facial expressions to convey emotions. Glass Mask is nothing compared to Oshi no Ko, where you can glance at a character's face and immediately sense their visual emotions.

Overall, I think actors are really expressive about how they feel especially using their face to convey emotion. They have a huge stage presence. I just think both versions of Glass Mask weren't expressive enough for professional actors.
  • I actually watched videos of Helen Keller when I was in school. Helen Keller is an extremely expressive girl that's emotions are leaking on her face. She often threw tantrums and fits as a naughty child. The characters were definitely less expressive than Helen Keller. But Helen was described as a wild animal that frequently shouted, and had to be taught manners.
  • I also personally think that Maya isn't good at portraying quiet and timid girls like Beth. She doesn't really get how shy characters act. When they said Beth was the quietest girl in the family...she didn't really act as the shy type. Maya is better at acting as really extroverted girls.

Last edited:
Back