Tokyo 24th Ward

Ep 1

This was a really good pilot episode, it had me on edge, I hope this quality of situational suspense continues throughout the season.

even from the very beginning when the little girl was about to be hit by the car, It forced a body moving reaction out of me, it was an early sign that this directive team knows what they're doing, and how to pull and audience in and make them FEEL the art that's on display.

EDIT: And I'm now just realizing this was a double length episode, so the fact that it was longer, wasn't just not painfully obvious, but it was barely noticeable has got to count for something.

Last edited:
This show seems to have everything you could possibly have against you production wise, but at the very least episode 1 turned out to be surprisingly interesting and well made. I'll keep expectations low but I am looking forward to the next episode.

I dont think it'll get delayed tbh
Im expecting CW to brute force through the whole series, and by episode 8 maybe have like 14 animation directors
:]

The very end of the first episode... what’s that?

If that last bit is what I think it is, that's totally F-ed up, like GitS and Serial Experiments levels of F-ed up. However everything else in the episode seemed to hint at a a totally different kind of anime. Well, at least the episode made me change my impression from 'Hmm, another sappy superhero/friends/slice of life maybe not?' to 'I need to know where this rabbit hole leads to!' So, when is the next episode scheduled?

Hmm. Only way I see this working is as a kind of... don't-think-too-hard-about-this Marvel movie dumb fun kind of thing. I get that, I can dig that kind of show. I've watched plenty of them. Double Decker and Akudama Drive to name a couple of very good recent examples.

And yet it has a crapton of excess baggage to be that kind of a show. It's not smart enough to be anything more, so I hope it doesn't try to be anything more. Let it stick to newly-minted superhumans solving a crisis-of-the-week, maybe with some loose connections to tie it all up nicely at the end, and that'll be fine.

EP 2

I hate when shows do this........

They try to ground their rationale in realism, but selectively shrug off unrealistic events.

Ight, but rescues her using obvious super human abilities, I know he was athletic already, but would she really believe he's naturally outrunning a train? He told her that the phonecall gave the premonitions, she admitted it's what saved her, then turns around and says it had to be a prank call? honestly? predicted your predicament, but was nothing but a random prank call?

I'd chalk that up to just being a jealous bitch that wants the dead girl to disappear to she can have an RGB orgy.......BUT last episode, they were doing the same thing. Whitnessed the supernatural elements of the premonition and their increased abilities, but denied the supernatural element of being talked to by a dead girl because.......of course "that's impossible." everything else was fine, but THAT was out of the realm of realism......

FOH......shit like that kills any emersion to the show....I don't know if it's just me, but if I got a phonecall from a dead person that accurately predicted an event that's far from an everyday event, and had me bouncing from building to building like the fucking hulk, I think I'd be ready to believe it was actually that dead person calling at that point, I don't know, that might just be me.......

The anime doesn’t seem to have a lot of hype surrounding it. The concept seems cool enough, and the character designs are good. Is it because it's not being advertised enough ?

The anime doesn’t seem to have a lot of hype surrounding it. The concept seems cool enough, and the character designs are good. Is it because it's not being advertised enough ?

Usually to generate hype something has to either come from popular source material, or the people behind it have to have a really good track record.

This is an original work so no source material. And it's the 1st large scale work the writer has done.

So it's not set up for initial hype, it's gat to generate it by being good and word of mouth, and as of now, I can't say I like it enough to be one of those mouths recommending it to people.

EP 2

I hate when shows do this........

They try to ground their rationale in realism, but selectively shrug off unrealistic events.

Ight, but rescues her using obvious super human abilities, I know he was athletic already, but would she really believe he's naturally outrunning a train? He told her that the phonecall gave the premonitions, she admitted it's what saved her, then turns around and says it had to be a prank call? honestly? predicted your predicament, but was nothing but a random prank call?

I'd chalk that up to just being a jealous bitch that wants the dead girl to disappear to she can have an RGB orgy.......BUT last episode, they were doing the same thing. Whitnessed the supernatural elements of the premonition and their increased abilities, but denied the supernatural element of being talked to by a dead girl because.......of course "that's impossible." everything else was fine, but THAT was out of the realm of realism......

FOH......shit like that kills any emersion to the show....I don't know if it's just me, but if I got a phonecall from a dead person that accurately predicted an event that's far from an everyday event, and had me bouncing from building to building like the fucking hulk, I think I'd be ready to believe it was actually that dead person calling at that point, I don't know, that might just be me.......

I think you're focusing on the wrong things with this show. the character development and interactions with each other is ridiculously well done, the artwork phenomenal, and there's so many undertones mixed in there that pull from other sources, like psycho pass or minority report, which adds more layers to the story. also while I agree with you that her reaction wasn't great, there are plenty of reasons why it's not completely absurd. by the point she would have seen him, the train would have slowed down heaps (it only stopped max 20m past her) , it would have only been doing about 30km/hr by the time it hit her (sprinters hit 40+) . but more importantly, he's been rescuing people for years so its not insane to think that he would somehow manage to save her, plus she is probably in denial / messed up ( evidenced from the phone recording she saved for herself) so it 'has' to be a prank.
the biggest thing though as to why I'd say none of that bothered me, is that it's not our reality, this is happening in 2021... everyone has wild hair colour. there was apparently a war 20 years ago that japan was invaded in. etc, so it doesn't necessarily have to work exactly the same way our reality does =P (besides, it's anime and they always take it a bit far for artistic reasons).
at this rate though, this show is on pace to being my favourite so far that I've watched lately as long as it doesn't trip up majorly with some shit plot writing.

After ep 4, I'm enjoying the show more. Really liked the focus on urban environments and the politics of this little town. Puts Ran and Koki's oppositional relationship in even better context without them even talking to each other.

I’be been enjoying this show from ep 1, but after finishing ep 6 I just wanna binge the rest because it’s getting sooo good. I just really hope they go about things the right way & don’t ruin it

It's funny how things turn out sometimes. Koroshi Ai/Love of Kill, which had a really, really bad start, and in general has more than a few issues, has gradually pulled me in a lot more. Meanwhile, this show had a pretty fun start, but has been gradually losing me. This one was missing this week and.. I didn't even notice until now. Guess it's a good time to drop out.

Back