The Duke of Death and His Maid

ep1:
Even though the CGI was horribly bad, I still enjoyed it. Just thinking about a curse like that is terrifying: you can never touch the woman you love, your nearest and dearest just give up on you and you are left completely alone. Yes, being alone is cool, but after some time all alone you just go crazy. Thankfully, the duke has a maid to make his life somewhat brighter. Hopefully, they will make a good anime adaptation.

The CG is a bit of a boner-killer but I'll still give this a shot.

Last edited:
As a fan of the original manga, I'm glad that it's getting a proper anime adaptation.
(J.C. Staff, please be faithful to the manga!) The CG is a bit strange, but so far, I am enjoying the series.

CGI aside as i said many times, art and CGI isn't my talking point.

I want to just say this was such a great episode, i liked the sound of the show but i wont deny, this was much better than i expected. So the concept of a curse which kills on touch is interesting but not original, I did spot a weird issue though, when he touches the tree it dies, but seconds later on the ground, the grass didn't die? Hmmm don't think they thought that one through. Equally, did the tree die via his clothes or did his hand catch it (i forgot already!).

Anyway, it has a sad tone to it but that makes it more enjoyable for me, it sounds morbid to enjoy series which focus on the lonelier elements in life but i feel the best stories lie under that dark coating.

Phillip was trash, i get his position, he is scared and only there under request but c'mon, other than being clear this guy just wanted to be friends again, he could of if nothing else been more friendly, even if it was just a act.
Regardless, he move to try to pry Alice away was certainly trashy, I hope that comes to bite him one day. His opinion might be right but she clearly wasn't held here against her will, so the comment was just rude.

MC is great, i actually liked him a lot. His life is tough and i honestly can't imagine how he lives but despite he can't even touch the only person who treats him like a human, he still tries to live on happily, he has my respect and i am fully behind him.

Alice equally rocks the boat, her teasing is great but equally, she is loyal to a fault and her ability to look beyond his curse is something else, granted her getting close has me cringing, not because its wrong but because she is literally a hair thread away from her death, just to tease!

Anyway, i loved this episode. I might be one of few but i certainly will be here to the end if it continues this way.

Also, shows like me make me weep like a school girl, and i don't even care!
Can't wait to see this one through! I don't even care how depressing i sound to say this hehe.

Shit. Is this entirely CG? I'm a big fan of the manga and was really excited to watch this but now I'm having second thoughts. Is the CG Berserk-bad?

Nki.gif

...look, it's been a series of bitter pills, for me, so far this first weekend of the new season. I'm very excited to genuinely like something.

Which is to say: I genuinely liked this episode. I don't know what the heck we're gonna get from it, week after week, but I'm excited to see what's in store.

Alice is great, bringing the vampy goth girlfriend ara ara mama energy that I had no idea I needed, and Botchan is sympathetic without crossing into gratingly pathetic--and I love that he treats his top hat like a protective totem.

Plus, very much reminds me of Pushing Daisies, which was my mind, heart, and soul for a while. So...not a bad thing at all.

...the mom is the one who put the curse on him, right? That's gonna be the twist?

when he touches the tree it dies, but seconds later on the ground, the grass didn't die?
Yeah, that bothered me too. But really just because:
did the tree die via his clothes or did his hand catch it
The tree dies because his gloved hand touched it.

He can kill things through his gloves. But not his shoes. And not through his shirt/jacket, which is why Alice could help him dress.

Not the strongest way to establish the rules.

he could of if nothing else been more friendly, even if it was just a act.
It takes a lot to fake friendliness, particularly if you're uncomfortable. And Phillip was, if nothing else, uncomfortable.

He comes off as a bad dude because we're so immediately on Botchan's side (and how dare he want to take Alice away!) and want him to have a nice time with his old friend, but I don't blame him for not being able to pull off the lie while worried that he would be killed at any moment.

she clearly wasn't held here against her will, so the comment was just rude
I dunno how clear that would seem, since Phillip was only there for a short time and Alice--by virtue of being a servant--probably wasn't relaying anything in conversation not giving much away with body language.

Again, I don't blame him for it. He's scared for himself and for Alice, whom he cannot believe is voluntarily putting herself at risk.

I'm not a fan of his, of course, but it's hard to be angry at him for reacting like he did.

The CG is a bit of a boner-killer but I'll still give this a shot.
Is this entirely CG? I'm a big fan of the manga and was really excited to watch this but now I'm having second thoughts
I don't know if either of you saw Hi Score Girl, but it looks like it's sliiiiightly better CG than we got from that show--and it didn't detract from that one at all. (Same studio, too.)

If that helps at all.

I don't know if either of you saw Hi Score Girl, but it looks like it's sliiiiightly better CG than we got from that show--and it didn't detract from that one at all. (Same studio, too.)
Hi Score Girl was great and, to my disbelief, the CGI actually complemented its artstyle, the jank compliments the physical comedy pretty well in particular. Also, the manga wasn't really all that pretty to begin with, so nothing was really lost in the transition. The best animation was given to the 2d sprites though.

Hi Score Girl was great
I really gotta watch this show at some point!
Which is to say: I genuinely liked this episode.
Woohoo! I almost tagged you saying to try this one out but wasn't sure if it would be your kind of show or not. I actually thought it might be a bit like Kaguya when i read its synopsis but maybe not entirely.
I don't know what the heck we're gonna get from it, week after week, but I'm excited to see what's in store.
This is my current mindset. I'm honestly not sure how this will play out in the bigger picture or if it will have enough to keep me as entertained but i am certainly happy with the start and hoping they maintain this momentum. The duke and Alice make a pretty fun couple to watch as a bonus, i love her teasing against his reactions.

Alice is great, bringing the vampy goth girlfriend ara ara mama energy that I had no idea I needed,
I equally back this! I didn't actually consider her vampy goth element but now you mention it, she just got better!
Not entirely on topic but somewhat, i also love Alice's commitment to him! Like, sure her teasing is great and all but she sticks by his side despite his condition.

Also, was it ever confirmed they love one another?
In the end the guy says about loving her or if she would/could love him (I forgot what it was now!) which implied they already established they love one another... i don't remember this development!!!
Then again, Alice did admit this "service" is especially for him so there is that. Nothing like your maid/servant lifting her skirt just to see your reaction... Man i needed to be rich!

and I love that he treats his top hat like a protective totem.
This!!
Honestly i kind of enjoyed his attachment to that hat even before it explained it but it just made me smile seeing he sleeps with it in the bed with him and pretty much puts it on, even just to eat. What a guy!
Made me want to find my top hat out! And no, i don't own a top hat because i am British... it was for a costume party, but i still like wearing it!

..the mom is the one who put the curse on him, right? That's gonna be the twist?
This would be a fun twist!
I guess red twin tail girl plays a role too, she is present at the table and slightly on the ed... kind of.

The tree dies because his gloved hand touched it.
Not the strongest way to establish the rules.
Yeah, i mean, i will over look it if the story stays strong, i get the touch killing things is more of just a plot device over a ideology that he is a walking nature killing machine (though props to Alice on the withered rose thing, damn she is good!).
I'm more here for the romance and the death touch thing is just a bonus barrier. Though i am unsure what to make of the touch killing through clothes, i mean, the simple fix it to wear gloves if it didn't apply via clothing which is a simple but not so fun method but killing via clothing means as you say, he in theory should kill through his shoes too, meaning he could never leave the house!
I wonder if it's just his hands or if its him as a whole... I would assume its his skin but Alice pushes her luck on them lips being close. All the show synopsis says "touch" but i guess they doesn't expand on if its his hands or his body coming in contact with another life form, I should stop over thinking things!

I'm not a fan of his, of course, but it's hard to be angry at him for reacting like he did.
I certainly don't blame him, and do get his position, it's just hard not to dislike him when we see this guy so happy to see a old friend and that's the friend he got. Of course i still wish Phillip tried a bit more, if nothing else than to create small talk about old times or pretend to be interested, instead he remembered everything (his words) about Alice but not the bug comment from MC... his words sting!

Still, i hope Phillip isn't a reoccurring character. His fear aside, it's pretty hard to see him beyond what he was this episode and his parting words.
Even if MC was cured, to me i can't help look past his friend isn't a friend in his time of need but he is when he is fine. Again, I can appreciate Phillips position and am not writing him off for his fear but collectively, i just don't care to see him anymore.

Interesting first episode. I really feel for the guy having such an awful curse.

I get Alice loves him and wants to be close to him, but jeez, either she is a complete moron or just has nerves (and reflexes) of steel. She can obviously see he is nervous and jittery and then she swoops in close like that... one slip, trip, or brush, and this show becomes Corpse Bride 2, with less whimsey & musical numbers and more depression. Either way, love the ending where she announces they will find the cure for the curse together.

01:

OMFG, this show has TEASING. My fetish is being fulfilled again this season and classy fishnet stockings:

uVnhpC6.gif

I honestly didn’t mind the CGI too much. It was still a pretty enjoyable and promising first episode. I got used to the CGI in Hi Score Girl pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I'm pretty glad to see others enjoying this... not due to any attachment to the series, just because I was half-expecting to be going this one alone and it actually has promise to be decent (hopefully, fingers crossed).

this show has TEASING. My fetish is being fulfilled again this season
Round 2, start!
We need a teasing club on AP!

and classy fishnet stockings:

uVnhpC6.gif
Most fitting Gif for a quite fitting statement!

Episode 1:

I guess the CG wasn't bad as I expected but still not a fan of it. Still I really love the source material and this is shaping up to be a solid adaptation so it's not gonna bother me that much.

Not surprised they picked Natsuki Hanae as the Duke. These kinds of roles suit him well.

Back