Muv-Luv Alternative

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Damias, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Damias

Damias Well-Known Member

Posted by Damias on Nov 5, 2020
    MilissaSexclub likes this.
  2. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Here's hoping this installment focuses on fighting the freaking Beta this time. Cause Schwarzesmarken sure as Hell didn't care.

MilissaSexclub likes this.
  3. AgentAndrew0

AgentAndrew0 Active Member

What the heck does this have to do with the other anime? The others are spin-offs of this but they got adapted first? I’m so confused. What’s the watch order?

4. randomredneck

Episode 1.
    Well, I guess they were listening to me. Because that was a whole opening episode of fighting the BETA. Hope they didn't blow their load on episode 1.

5. RavenheartN1Anime

RavenheartN1Anime Well-Known Member

Episode 1 blew me up, I was stoked for it since it's a Visual Novel OG, but the soundtrack, the action, the setting, the way they handled the introduction of the plot and atmosphere, made me shiver in anticipation.
    I hope this is the ride we are taking, because episode 1 screams "Anime of the Year".

Ritcherfielderglen likes this.
  6. evilneko

evilneko Silver Supporter

So there won't be any insane incest siblings in this one right? :p

randomredneck likes this.
  7. randomredneck

Episode 2.
    ...What the Hell.
    How did we go from that last episode, to suddenly being a combo of Groundhog Day and an Isekai. Feels like I'm not even watching the same thing.

8. RavenheartN1Anime

Okay, someone found the brakes and stepped on it with the weight of an elephant.
    Episode 2 slowed down so much it almost feels like a different Anime, it almost looks like a different Anime too from an animation/character design standpoint.

9. MisterDapper

MisterDapper Well-Known Member

Ep 2:
    I'm also taken aback by the change in story and everything else. Also why does the show remind me of FMP now? Maybe that's just me.

10. evilneko

Did I miss the connecting flight between episodes one and two?

11. RavenheartN1Anime

Episode 3 does feel more fleshed out now that we're actually partaking in the story. I guess setting up today's setting in episode 2 did a number on it.
    Still ways off from the epic that was episode 1. My Lord, will that be hard to beat.

12. randomredneck

Episode 3.
    "To prove you can fly these giant robots, we're going to have you do a bunch of tasks not at all related to it whatsoever."
    I mean I can't be the only one thinking that, right? Yeah, I'm sure hand to hand skills would serve you well when a swarm of flesh eating monsters are barreling towards you.
    Also, brains. That seems important.

MisterDapper likes this.
  13. randomredneck

Episode 4.
    GET BACK TO FIGHTING THE BETA ALREADY.

14. evilneko

I'm pretty sure Muv-Luv is a harem with mecha as a backdrop, rather than the other way round. Problem: the girls aren't eccentric enough to support a harem.

15. randomredneck

Episode 5.
    Oh yay, a training simulator battle. What a thrill...

16. randomredneck

Okay, fuck this. They're clearly more interested in cliché harem anime bullshit than fighting the freaking BETA. Redneck out.

1 out of 5.

17. evilneko

A while back, I said this:

Imma change that now. It's not really a harem. He's not interested, they're not interested, nobody's interested in anything except the one thing the show doesn't want to do, and instead the show is actually an awkward slice of life with a dystopian window dressing. The first ep doesn't really belong to the series at all.

If the show is ostensibly about how MC-kun works with Genius-chan and Token Loli-chan to prevent the evacuation of Earth by ensuring the success of Alternative Something-Or-Other, then what was the point of that first episode? And what's the point of spending so much runtime on the academy stuff and the dumb rom-com SOL stuff? Shouldn't they spend more time on the meat of the story?

If the show is just a dumb rom-com SOL with a dystopian aesthetic, again WTF was the point of that first ep?

You know, years ago I was plenty pissed at Sword Art Online's bait and switch... but that was drawn out over a much longer time, and it occasionally dangled fresh bait, making you think you might get what was advertised after all. Come to think of it, MC-kun is about as likeable as Kirito, which is to say not at all. Why am I even still watching this?

This anime is... only for fans of the VN, and certainly not going to win any converts over to the VN. I wonder if even fans of the VN can enjoy this anime.

randomredneck likes this.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  18. RavenheartN1Anime

Goddamnit I am so disappointed... It just couldn't deliver. I expected more than a high school drama. The only time we saw the BETA was here.... 2.5/5
    I am honestly very sad...

19. randomredneck

They seriously never fought the BETA again after episode 1?

20. RavenheartN1Anime

Sad to say, but yes.