Godzilla: Singular Point

The thing is that Sadayuki has been involved in good productions like Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue and Kino's Journey. And when Gen Urobuchi actually has time to work with, he can create something awesome like Thunderbolt Fantasy. So that's part of the problem I think with the original Netflix Godzilla trilogy: the creators weren't given enough time. If you look at the release dates, you can see that the movies weren't released a year apart.

At most, the time given to a single movie was around 6 months. That already strikes an impression that Netflix was pretty callous towards the Godzilla anime. Netflix is just one of those streaming services I have mixed feelings towards, in regards to how they treat anime. Quantity over quality, some being better than others.

But since studio Orange worked on Beastars, I feel pretty good about them doing Godzilla. Godzilla is making a comeback.

Last edited:
The thing is that Sadayuki has been involved in good productions like Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue and Kino's Journey. And when Gen Urobuchi actually has time to work with, he can create something awesome like Thunderbolt Fantasy. So that's part of the problem I think with the original Netflix Godzilla trilogy: the creators weren't given enough time. If you look at the release dates, you can see that the movies weren't released a year apart.

At most, the time given to a single movie was around 6 months. That already strikes an impression that Netflix was pretty callous towards the Godzilla anime. Netflix is just one of those streaming services I have mixed feelings towards, in regards to how they treat anime. Quantity over quality, some being better than others.

But since studio Orange worked on Beastars, I feel pretty good about them doing Godzilla. Godzilla is making a comeback.
Technically, he already has. Post-2004 in the late 2000's, it was believed by many fans that Toho would do just fine without another Godzilla film. They made money without having to go back to the character. Then Legendary approached them with the idea of making another American film, and it brought a much needed shot in the arm to the franchise.

I'm really happy that the character is alive and well after all of this time. Not many icons have experienced this kind of reception after nearly 70 years of existence.

I was literally gonna' race to post it, but I'm glad I didn't have to! :frustrat:

I SCREAMED when I saw Jet Jaguar. Also, the green thing with big ears? I heard that's supposed to be Gabara, a monster that hasn't been seen since his debut in All Monsters Attack (1969), better known in the US as Godzilla's Revenge.

They're really pulling out some underutilized monsters for this. I'm excited!

Gabara, riiight... And that pterodactyl is supposed to be Rodan, the sea tail monster was Titanosaurus, and the spikey monster is Anguirus in his teenage years.

Rodan's redesign is the only one I'm not fond of. His head is too big. As for "Titanosaurus," I don't know if that's really him. That design has Godzilla's dorsal plates.

Shin Godzilla took the route of (WARNING: MOVIE SPOILERS)
giving Godzilla primitive forms that later evolved into the creature we know and love.

I want to believe that may be what we're seeing here. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm only guessing Titanosaurus by the tail. If they are having artistic liberty on Gabara (an improvement), Rodan (the hell) and Anguirus, then it could be Titanosaurus. Or a new monster. A new monster would be most welcome (saying this even though those new monsters in the CG trilogy were horrendous) instead of a reimagining of the 2/3 we know so far. And I'm not even going to get started on what they did to Godzilla's design near the end of the video.

Everyone complains about Urobuchi as if Sadayuki Murai didn't co-write the previous trilogy with him
:confused:
Urobuchi has a long track record of writing pretentious trash using already established genres, this one just happened to come without the fluff that makes his usual works watchable.

Well folks we got a full of yapping intro, Gintoki-looklike protagonist, a strong minded female lead, a hint of mecha, a nice song and pretty good CGI enough. I’ll see what the next ep brings to see if I’ll continue with it....

Episodes 1-2:
I wouldn't be lying if I felt like the anime had a tiny bit of exposition.
Although I may not be super familiar with Gintama, I know enough that Yun does have some similarities with that protagonist, being the bike, the sweets, and the silver hair. I do like Mei, since I do have a soft spot for glasses girls. Hoping she becomes directly involved in the main story at some point.

Jet Jaguar feels like an old school looking mecha. It can fight, but it did get trashed during the fight with the pterodactyl kaiju. It really need that upgrade, since a swarm of those things are heading to Japan. What I want to know is when Godzilla is going to appear, cause the show is taking its time.
I want to feel optimistic, but its hard to when the main story writer worked on The Empire of Corpses. https://myanimelist.net/people/34803/Toh_EnJoe
So while I do like zombies, that was a crappy anime movie.

I already knew that in ep 1 after they showed that fucking impossibly intelligent AI I would get mad every single time they didn't use it afterwards and... yep. Fucking just put that Ai in Jet Jaguar! Why you even bothering to program it!

I already knew that in ep 1 after they showed that fucking impossibly intelligent AI I would get mad every single time they didn't use it afterwards and... yep. Fucking just put that Ai in Jet Jaguar! Why you even bothering to program it!
I get the feeling they were trying to build up the mecha looking totally awesome before it goes in with the Kaiju. But I can't help feeling like the writer was deliberately filling time within the episode, since the writer is kind of inexperienced. All I know is that something better happen in the 3rd episode or its getting dropped.

Episode 2:

I actually quite liked this. It is self aware enough to be parody, but not so cynical that it can't deliver some mecha on kaiju action. The dialogue is going to be insufferably pretentious to some, but it works for me because it is clever enough to be amusing even when it is being ridiculous. I am not sure this can sustain an entire series, but for now I am entertained.

Just watched the first episode. This is actually quite close to what used to happen in the human portions of the older movies minus some of the whackiness and annoying kids but with more technobabble. The characters so far are serviceable and again, feel like updated versions of characters you'd see in the old live-action. I kinda like it.

Seeing Rodan was cool but I also enjoyed the shoutouts to Hedorah and ofc Jet Jaguar. That goddamn theme tease at the end brrr, killing it since 1954.
That OG Godzilla's skeleton? They gonna put him in a Mechagodzilla suit like they did in the 2002 movie?

Back