By the Grace of the Gods

A slice of life, isekai.
One of my favorite web novels.
The first version of the novel went off the rails and then was discontinued. I lost hope for more but then Roy did a reboot of his web novel.
Now it's a light novel series and a manga, and now soon an anime.

I'm hyped but at the same time I'm scared. The series is slow paced, cute, relaxing, and funny. I'm scared that this will be the series that only gets one season. Most of these shows lately are there to grab attention and get people interested in the source material.

I find it funny that not long after I made Ryoma my avatar pic, this gets announced for an anime. Haha.

I’m so happy to see an anime adaptation of this work! I discovered the manga within the past year and began reading the light novel material when there was no more manga I could access.

The story for me is simple in its setup, but warming in its execution. As a single young adult still building my own life and just a few years shy of 30, I found this story to be a relaxing and encouraging tale so far. I’m looking forward to this story being brought to life, even if it is not God-tier work. If they can bring the spirit of the story to life with what they have I will be happy!

So, funimation is apparently going to do an early screening of episode 1 of By the Grace of the Gods at their Virtual Anime Con this Friday. Anyone going to watch it?

Ep 1:
Like with most light novel/manga to anime adaptions stuff is left out and things are changed. Nothing can be done about it, and it's pretty much expected with anime that get a low production budget. It's sad because a lot of parts I found funny in the source materials, weren't as funny in the anime.

The first episode covers about the first 3 chapters of the light novel (2 chapters of the manga). It skips the most of the prologue, only adding it a bit with how he died and why he's on Seilfall, and a minuscule amount of him exploring his new found abilities. It ends right where chapter 2 of the manga ends, with Ryoma first seeing Eliaria. So for anyone that feels lost or confused about the first episode, I suggest the Web Novel (reboot), Light Novel, or the Manga. Or all three!

The animation isn't the best but it doesn't take away from the story. I have no issue with it, and I think it improved a small bit since I first saw the episode during the Funimation Online Convention.

I expect the anime to cover up to somewhere in volume 2, of the light novel, or for the manga readers up till most of volume 5 of the manga. This is only if they're doing 12-13 episodes (1 cour). If they do 2 cours (24-26 eps), I can see them going all the way up to the end of volume 3 of the light novels, and that part hasn't been put into manga form yet.

The opening theme is where I have most of my issues. The stuff from the opening is in volume 3 of the light novel, and hasn't even been reached in the manga yet. As far as I know this is a 1 cour anime, so about 12-13 episodes long, which means most of the stuff inside the opening theme, we won't get to unless they cut out a lot of stuff and rush the story. If we actually get a 2 cour, anime of 24-26 episodes, then we should see the stuff from the opening. So those who hate spoilers, try to skip the opening if you can. Or just ignore the visuals and just listen to the music.

The ending is just flat out adorable. I can't talk much about those characters because of spoilers so that's all I can say about it. The ending I don't consider spoilery. Unless you have issues seeing characters not yet introduced in the show, this one is safe to watch.

Time to wait for next week and see how they handled the next part.

It's a nice and relaxing story, so I'm looking forward to watching more of this.
Having read the webnovel on NU in 2016-17, I was surprised when I saw this on the season charts.
Looking forward to the anime.
Don't go into this searching for an overarching plot btw, you will be dissapointed if you go in with that expectation.

Episode 1 :

First episode wasn’t to bad and it also wasn’t to good. Again we got hit with the “ main characters died and gets a second chance at life because he’s supposedly a good person. But all in the all I didn’t fall asleep on this episode so it was pretty decent lol. The colors are beautiful in this one and the slimes are adorable

Ryoma is adorable ;A;
I was happy that the duke and his crew were concerned about Ryoma
I was even happier when they came back with more people!
The part where Ryoma explains that in his previous life, he never had time for his own personal hobbies and that's why he learned so much about slimes now, was sad
I really feel for those in work situations like that
I'm glad he now has all the free time in the world!
Pls take care of this precious cinnamon roll

Those horses look so out of place.
SPOILER_unknown.png

I'm hoping some of the stuff skipped here, will happen in the next episode. Kinda sad I didn't get to see the reactions to Ryoma's cooking. Was looking forward to that. At least my favorite part wasn't skipped! Haha Hughes <3

(edited to add a pic of them horses)

Last edited:
Back