Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina

The director was also involved in the production of Gunbuster. But I don't think Harukana Receive left that big of an impression on me since he also directed it. So I guess what it comes down to is whether the source material for Wandering Witch is any good. https://myanimelist.net/people/12701/Toshiyuki_Kubooka
On another note, in regards to the Berserk trilogy films, you have to admit, the music for the movies was pretty good.

REALLY LOVING THE VISUALS

Really sucks that witches didn't want to take Elaina under their wing, but I'm glad it ended up being Fran
That first fight between Fran and Elaina was SO COOL!!! I'm really really liking these visuals. the food looks great too

I felt kinda sad for Elaina's parents since Elaina rushed to become a witch so she could leave home and travel the world; which isn't a bad thing at all! So when Fran revealed that she was actually hired by Elaina's parents to help her, I was touched by their support to help Elaina's dream ; A ;

I can't wait to see where Elaina goes in the next ep! :D

Episode 1:

This is one of the first shows that caught my eye when I checked the fall list and based from that first episode my intuition seems to be on point. That was a solid opener. Definitely on board for this.

Art style is on the generic side IMO but the animation is pretty fluid.

Episode 1

First fight was cool. I'd have to say this mostly felt like a character introduction piece for the main character due to how fast it flowed. I went into this thinking it wouldn't really be indicative of the rest of the show. I feel that my assumption is already proven to be partially true with the way the episode ended. I wonder how the rest of this anime is going to be, I guess she'll mostly be helping random passerby's out each episode and it will be mostly episodic but I don't know.

Speaking of which so far Elaine is the only character whose design felt like it was being paid attention to as even the stardust witch didn't really feel like an inspired design. The backgrounds were nice and fantasy like, however.

Also, the point of her being 14 ( and turning 15 I suppose ) and then the episode ending with her being well..
was really awkward, what happened in those
years? Why are we skipping forward that time? I mean, I'm fine with her being older, but it's kind of weird?
especially with her making a big deal out of going on a journey right away...

If you want your character to be a prodigy.... but then was it really necessary to skip forward?

If you want your character to be a prodigy.... but then was it really necessary to skip forward?
The series isn't about her journey to become strong, it's about her journey in general. We didn't need to see how Kino became an incredible gunslinger to appreciate Kino's Journey, and that's the series I saw this anime and it's LNs most commonly compared to during the lead-up to this premiere.

Well the first episode seems kind of rushed and, well, superfluous I guess. I added this show to my list figuring it'd be a nice comfy "place of the week" type thing, I don't really need to know Elaina's some sort of prodigy for that.

But, maybe it serves some purpose which will pay off later. We did see that it caused certain reactions in people, after all.

Episode 1... I was expecting something in the same vein as The Flying Witch, but it was leaps better.
The entire time she's enduring I just keep thinking about the original Karate Kid movie; there's a lesson in this treatment somewhere. I did not guess it was don't endure... but that is a good lesson. If the rest of the series is written like this, I will be very happy.

I wonder if Fran's personality was goofy for this job and she's actually more serious in her homeland.
I'm assuming her stories just take place after she's been traveling and we won't pick up the story immediately after she leaves home, but a while later when she already has some experience under her belt.

I'm down for a happier magical version of Kino's Journey!

This first episode was pretty decent and this could lead to good stuff but I have some concerns for future episodes:

1. Pacing is insane. This episode needed to be a 45 minute ova to really work IMO. Many years pass with multiple life changing montages that give our MC stuff without really earning it, often offscreen. Sllooooooww it down.

2. World building was nonexistent. Where, when are we? We had three main locations shown and I have no idea where they are in relation to each other, and also dont have a clue how this world works. Her parents insisted as rule 1 that she run away from danger, so is this world actually dangerous?

3. Power levels are concerning...MC gets defeated in overwhelming fashion by her teacher, less than 2 minutes later she turns the table and manages to beat her instead. WTF? Is this always going to happen when she encounters an obstacle?

4. Genre change inbound. Supposedly this will be an adventure story starting with the next episode, so we have yet to see the anime in its actual form.

5. Flying and teleportation...pretty much the worst enemy of any adventure story. Dragonball went downhill as these options proliferated, and good adventures like Kino's Journey are heavily limiting their characters movement. If we can go anywhere anytime with no obstacles, its not much of a journey. Nothing will have substance or weight.

This first episode was pretty decent and this could lead to good stuff but I have some concerns for future episodes:

1. Pacing is insane. This episode needed to be a 45 minute ova to really work IMO. Many years pass with multiple life changing montages that give our MC stuff without really earning it, often offscreen. Sllooooooww it down.

2. World building was nonexistent. Where, when are we? We had three main locations shown and I have no idea where they are in relation to each other, and also dont have a clue how this world works. Her parents insisted as rule 1 that she run away from danger, so is this world actually dangerous?

3. Power levels are concerning...MC gets defeated in overwhelming fashion by her teacher, less than 2 minutes later she turns the table and manages to beat her instead. WTF? Is this always going to happen when she encounters an obstacle?

4. Genre change inbound. Supposedly this will be an adventure story starting with the next episode, so we have yet to see the anime in its actual form.

5. Flying and teleportation...pretty much the worst enemy of any adventure story. Dragonball went downhill as these options proliferated, and good adventures like Kino's Journey are heavily limiting their characters movement. If we can go anywhere anytime with no obstacles, its not much of a journey. Nothing will have substance or weight.

1-2, 4) Yeah it was probably just an introduction, so the real story is probably from episode 2 onwards? And it's also a comedy so som ridiculous pacing is probably part of the joke.

3) Yes but a year passed and it's reasonable to think the teacher restrained her own level to something reasonable for a student.

5) The teleportation seems to be short range though and I bet it's very energy consuming. Even her teacher preferred the broom for her return home. Meanwhile flying is not thaaat much different from going by motor bike or car. There are more than enough limits such as weather, stamina and her curiousity. There's also many ways to create obstacles. She'll surely spend plenty of time on the ground. I feel like it's just another way of having a journey and adventure. Usually when one problem is removed (such as obstacles like flooded streets and the likes) other types of obstacles are bound to appear! And just look at them. They still cook manually X'D and brew with ingeredients they gather manually. She'll have to be on the ground and crawling through the bushes just for her lizards!

Episode 2... I figured out the shape and the truth; I just needed the reasoning (a little Mononoke humor for you).
This one was just fine... okay at best. I expected the anthology type road story, I was just hoping they would grab me more. But, it's just the first one, so there's time to ramp up.
Come on... rip my heart out and make me cry!

Looking forward to have more heartstrings pulled in the future.

Episode 2:
Not a bad episode but...a little underwhelming after that opener. I didn't really care about Saya's plight and the whole thing with the brooch was predictable. I did dug the shoujo-ai/yuri teasings though and Elaine being sly and smug.

Also, Saya's VA was confirmed positive for Covid this week. I hope she pulls through.

Back