Ride Your Wave

Final thoughts:
So its pretty much a romance between Hinako and Minato, since how they met was rather magical. During a song time skip, its like showing all the time they spent. And then unexpectedly, Minato died trying to save someone at the beach. Hinako is devastated and trying to figure out what to do, and then she finds out Minato can appear in water when she sings.

So overall, this movie has a lot of relevant themes for young people. Finding your path in life, learning to let go and move on, which felt pretty good. But I do feel that the pacing was a bit fast, so you don't have a lot of time to soak in those moments. Yuasa did only have around 90 minutes to work with, so he did well with what he had. A decent movie, so for me, 3.5/5.

Felt like that one surfing scene was all this show was really passionate about, and they built a janky story around that to make it happen.......2.5/5

Why did I just spend 95 minutes watching a girl who needs major therapy talk to water. Your boyfriend is dead please accept it.

I hate this movie. Here's why:
My real problem (aside of that freacking song they play a million times) is that the movie starts off with a main character not being able to accept the death of a loved one. And that's understandable and touching. Then she starts going crazy and seeing her loved one in water, but only when she's alone!! So then her friends rightfully try to help and support her through her grief and I'm like "omg finally a great reaction to someone dying! The friends will help the mc get over the death and the movie will end with her accepting it and the ghost disappearing!" But FUCKING NOPE. FUCK OFF FRIENDS FOR TRYING TO HELP HER! YOU WERE DUMB. WHY? BECAUSE THE GHOST IS REAL SO FUCK YOU WITH YOUR REASONABLE ACTIONS YOU WEREN'T NEEDED SINCE SHE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE SINCE THE GHOST WAS REAL. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
It doesn't happen often that a movie offends me so profoundly.

I loved the art style in this, and the first few minutes looked interesting, but that was all. When the montage started it was pretty easy to guess what will happen (minus the fantasy part).
The movie was pretty boring after the first 15-20 minutes. They also tried to make the relationships look realistic, but the entire thing just felt stupid by the end.

3.5/5 just for animation, it was a waste of time and it would have been better to watch anything else even if it was for the Nth time.

Here for a Summer 2023 ABC groupwatch with @JordanJas and @Sabure ~~
IMO the movie was predictable but overall sweet. I wouldn't watch it again but I don't regret spending my time on it.
  • I held onto the hope that the ghost was a metaphor of some sort and not an actual supernatural occurrence ;/ ...disappointing
  • I actually really loved the scene (montage of scenes?) where they were singing offkey and laughing together. It was super cute but the death flag was so obvious during it that it physically hurt to watch them be so carelessly happy ;-;
  • the fireworks scenes stressed me so much; I thought more people would die or fall off the building
  • I liked that the movie showed that grief takes many forms and changes with time. As shown by Hinako, it can be a sudden burst of tears in the middle of the street, crying at the sight of their favourite food, or a bittersweet memory while watching the sunset </3 I appreciate that.

Here for an ABC Groupwatch.

I have had a bit of a frustrating and emotional week, so rewatching this kinda hit me in the feels more than normal. While yes, both times this movie is predictable, it is worth a watch. I had the urge to cry most of the movie, but there is one part that really got me both times.

That Christmas message from after his death? That kills me. 100% made me cry a few tears once again.

I will probably watch it again at some point.

For an ABC Group Watch.

First off, this movie was definitely not boring. It wasn't great by any means but it wasn't too bad and was entertaining for the most part. The romance reminded me of Ginban Kaleidoscope which had the same concept of an athletic girl romancing a ghost. There were some really touching scenes like the two singing off-key while going on their dates, and the surfing scenes were very fluid. The final scenes with the Christmas message was very heartbreaking. I gave the movie a 4/5 and will probably watch it again.

Back