Kemonozume

@Zed60K

I'd say this is one of Yuasa's lesser works. It's not bad, but it's a more straightforward action series without a lot of the more interesting themes and elements he usually works in. The monster designs are pretty cool, though.

Thx ZK, Indeed, haven't gotten that far into it, but I don't see it being as great as his other works. Though when I first started it I expected it to be like Devilman, but thankfully it's waay less in your face with the violence and sex, which I guess can make it easier to take it seriously.

The designs are really great, except for the monkey, he looked silly, he might as well have jumped out of camp lazlo or smth. And the action scenes are hard to follow, otherwise the art is great.

Episode 08

If this is not how you do action, then I don't even know how it should be. Most amazing shit ever.

So far the show has been a mixed experience, but on over all I quite like it. It feels kind of like a simple but weird Romeo and Juliet story, but still not bad. It was also quite entertaining, stuff are happening all the time while confusing plot stuff are happening, so I'm never bored while watching it. Still feels like the kind of show I would forget about it's story and only remember it for the Yuasa style though.

Episode 13

I freakin' love Ooba, the guy steals the spotlight every time he's on the screen, bloody damn hilarious

insta.gif

Considering that Yuasa's shows always end up with a crazy climax, this one made the most sense for some reason, and it was so bloody damn entertaining, like how most people were fighting in nudes most of the time. Ooba stole the show in the last couple of episodes and made it his own, I haven't seen many villains running around with a head only while yelling that he wants to kill everyone, before changing the main characters pants into a diapers in the middle of a fight. I loved this.

The story is weak, but the show is very entertaining, I was thinking this show might be a 6/10 or so, but that bloody climax carried most of the show for me. 7/10 I'm definitely rewatching this again in the future.

Overall thoughts:
As an abstract anime its a lot more easier to get into compared to the last one I tried to watch, SoulTaker. The story is familiar too, the protagonist falls in love with a character who is a monster. Human nature was probably the theme the anime was going for, which is familiar but it works. It is also the theme that was used in Yuasa's Devilman Crybaby series. But I don't think the music really clicked with me on this anime compared to the Devilman Crybaby OSTs.

What I will say is that Ooba carried the Kemonozume anime with his portrayal as the antagonist. And the conclusion felt pretty good overall. As an anime it feels experimental to a point where not everyone is going to be into it. And while this may not be one of my favorites from Yuasa I still enjoyed it. 7 out of 10.

Back