Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation

I've made several posts about how Deen usually picks unusual and interesting looking premises this season. Deen apparently heard that and decided to pick bog standard, boring premises for the summer season just to spite me.

Eat my butt, Deen.

I really don't know how to feel about this adaption. It's been 10 years since the manga ended and I assumed if an anime was going to happen, it would've came out years ago. The manga itself started off pretty boring, got pretty decent out of nowhere halfway through, and then ended on a rushed note due to cancellation. My exceptions are even lower since Deen seems to vary from "okay" to "complete affronts to animation" tiers with their shows. I really hope for the best, I'm going in with low expectations. If nothing else, I hope the sequel manga that's being spawned from this gives Muhyo & Roji a better ending.

Last note, there is a PV. It looks fine so far. The manga covers are actually pretty colorful, so I hope the whole show isn't as dark and shadowy as the trailer is making it out to be. Obviously they fight ghosts in dark dank places, but there should be plenty of vibrant set pieces too. I won't be surprised if Deen wrings out every bit of color to make the anime more bland tho.

Ep1:
What if Kitarou from Gegege no Kitarou had a detective agency and was a sadistic brat with a cute boy servant as friend to order around? I like it.
Poor (lesbian?) ghost was super sad that she couldn't hold hands.
xpUTInF.jpg

The case itself was nothing unordinary, but the execution was slightly gross and disturbing. In a light, but good way.

I also like the more selfish and sadistic take on the MC.

Yes, a new series, and it has horror in it! I remember this being in Weekly Shonen Jump. And the first episode felt really faithful to the manga, unlike Hakyu Hoshin Engi. Definitely will be keeping up with this one!

episode 1:

it's ugly and features some super inept drama... basically anything this could offer is already done much better by kitaro '18, so no reason to watch this particular thing

The 2nd episode kinda reminds me of what happened with Orihime and her brother in Bleach. They've introduced new main characters so let's see where the story goes.

So, it seems there will be some backstory behind Enchu in episode 5. This guy has been getting a lot of build up and I'm curious to see it, so hopefully it'll pay off.

Considering the tone in episode 6, if I were an author writing a book and I suddenly died, I wonder what methods I would use to finish writing the book.

During episode 7 I thought Bico looked cute without the hat. It feels like such a shame that she's going to keep wearing it.

Considering Sophie's ability to turn into other people, that's already scary. You always protect the student, I like that.

So it seems in episode 10 that a lot happened to Bico's teacher. Her backstory feels more tragic than Enchu's honestly.

Ep12 thoughts:
I can honestly say without a doubt that the first season felt like the prologue to the series. It might have been rough around the edges, but if its true that that the next part will be better, then I want to be around when it comes out. To be honest though, there are a lot of shonen authors that have a rough start with their series, since most of the time its their first serialization. Fans manage to give the authors a chance, and then they pull through, usually. So here's to the next season release, whenever that is.

Back