Gurazeni: Money Pitch

One thing I like about Deen is they are risk takers. They don't pick bland premises. Now sometimes they pick completely assy sounding premises like that one about the chick falling in love with an elementary school student, buuuut hey just because they've decided to think outside the box doesn't mean the people making choices are always smart.

The premise for this one sounds interesting. It's not the most unique thing, but then I look at the poster and see the nerdy looking and chubby protagonist. He looks like something different.

Now it just depends if we get the good Deen or the derpy Deen.

This one can be legit amazeballs because that guy is making it fucking rain bills from that moneyball. Where performance means big pay and sucking ass means getting jack squat because you suck, in a high stakes world of performance baseball; Deen can hit a home run or get a pinch hitter to tie up the series.

I actually want this to succeed, and to see some high flying poppin' baseball action.

was thinking the same, though i haven't watched that one yet, sort of been interested in it for a while now.

I'd definitely recommend it. The main character is voiced by the same guy that does the voice for Akagi and Kaiji. The show is a lower stakes version of Akagi since money is the only thing at risk, but the amounts get staggeringly huge.

Reactions: Zed
I'd definitely recommend it. The main character is voiced by the same guy that does the voice for Akagi and Kaiji. The show is a lower stakes version of Akagi since money is the only thing at risk, but the amounts get staggeringly huge.
i'm sold, i was gonna watch it anyway, but now i'm excited to do it, might do it some time soon.

Judging by the PV, I don't think it'll have great looking baseball action or anything. However I'm still definitely interested in it. I like the non-standard looking character designs, it definitely leans on the retro side, which is totally my jam there.

I wish they'd just shut up and let me listen to that sweet retro tune. The PV was entertaining enough. I wasn't expecting great sports action from Deen so that's not a negative for me.

I think the funniest thing about this is that Ayumu Watanabe went from directing After the Rain last season to this. Guess he likes to branch out and work in different genres. I'm quite hyped to watch this as soon as Tents finishes making food.

Episode 18 million:

This was about as much fun as having a handful of sand thrown into your ass crack and then being forced to walk around all day. The narration just tanked this episode with Bonda being an annoying sack of sand that couldn't stop repeating himself. His salary has permanently been burned into my brain. He must have explained how much he made 5 times this episode. The money obsession of the episode is part of the theme, but just having him go through listing people's salaries and shit isn't interesting. There's also only a couple of times where we get a point of comparison so we understanding how much money we're talking about. I can roughly convert yen numbers to a currency I understand better, but I got bored of doing that pretty quickly this episode. His friend the commentator was annoying, too.

The comedy was pretty bad, the animation was ugly, the characters were annoying, the baseball stuff wasn't interesting and the main character makes 18 million yen.

I get the theme of the anime is money and how it dominates people's lives, but I don't know if that's enough to carry an entire show. Especially if that show doesn't have anything interesting to say about money beyond everyone needs it and is desperate for it.

^
150.jpg

I can't believe I char claimed this show thinking it was gonna be good. The turkey has run out of luck.

I don't know if it was simply boring in general or if it's my fault because I have no fucking clue about the inner workings of pro sport business. Would this be more interesting for number-crunchers or sport fanatics? I doubt it, because fuck me, that was ultra boring and repetitive.

Yeah that was mediocre. The fact that none of the characters ever face the camera aside This looks like deen's best shot at trying to stay true to this artstyle in the worst way possible: hammering in the CGI. They can't do animation in the first place so why not right? And then to boot, the rest of it is presented so boringly. Yeah there's nothing special here at all. The character designs could have been OK if this was in another studio, too.

Back