Hinamatsuri

yeet

ep 1
This was pretty good.
A girl (Hina) with super powers just drop out the ceiling onto a rich yakuza(Nitta) sipping his wine.
She threatens him with superpowers and eventually he starts to care for her almost as his daughter.
I just feel that this kind of plot has never been done before, so it feels original and fresh.
Too bad it kinda lacked some yakuza badass actions.
Its comedic sides are pretty funny, which was most of episode 1

Plot suggests she was taken advantage of by an organization or something, who I am guessing will be the antagonists eventually?
Also it doesn't exactly say that her ability is telekinesis, so maybe she has other abilities?

For side note, Hina matsuri, which the title comes from, is a festival in Japan, which is associated with placing hina dolls on altars and eating special food.
It is derived from wishing for seasonal abundance and luck originally, but more recently, it's to wish for girls' healthy development. https://sk-imedia.com/hinamatsuriyurai-5917.html
Also, the first time Nitta took Hina to department store, the amount of money that showed up on the cash register equals around u.s. $8500. Talk about blowing some money.

Definitely will continue watching for now

1:30 am CDT broadcasting time for this show every week........ Are you serious, Crunchyroll? What the fuck, what in good gods gravy fucking shit kind of time is that?

Ugh, I'm too tired right now to watch this, I'm coming back later.

1:30 am CDT broadcasting time for this show every week........ Are you serious, Crunchyroll? What the fuck, what in good gods gravy fucking shit kind of time is that?

Ugh, I'm too tired right now to watch this, I'm coming back later.
this simulcast therefore the timing problem is because of simultaneous launch with jap broadcast

Episode 1:

Aaaaaaaw yeah. Nice guy daddy yakuza and esper girl is finally here.

This covered multiple chapters and changed the order of some events and some scenes were missing BUT that's just me being nitpicky. It just feels the introduction phase is rushed a bit but overall it's a pretty solid adaptation so far. The first episode managed to nail the manga's deadpan-straight man humor.

I was hoping Aoi Yuuki would voice Hina but her newbie VA is pretty okay. She manages to hit the bratty apathetic-ness of the character.

A little worried about the pacing but I think it's safe to say this show's in good hands.

Episode 1

I am actually pleasantly surprised by this. It's quite the heart-warm and it can only work if both the characters, the adult and the child have a lot going for them and the chemistry between them works - which does. It reminds me of things like Leon or Alice to Zoroku/Usagi Drop.

I am sure this will start off with some laughs and comical situations either using the girl's powers and her unfamiliarity with this world and the yakuza man's twist in his life being with her. Then it will turn serious at the end because it looks like she escaped from a world where her powers were heavily abussed and they will probably come back for her.

The humor used will be essential for now and is not the worst. I didn't laugh from deep of my lungs, but it kept on leaving me a smile which is a good sign. I don't mind the pacing and the execution is well made, following the initial development of the relationship credibly. Maybe I feel Nitta is just too much of a good guy for a yakuza member. At least for now.

I wonder if people in Japan scream in pain "Aitaaa!" only or it was a joke. I couldn't decipher this.

Overally a very decent first episode of a show which can get more and better for the future. Looking forward to the next episode.

Screw it, I'm having some trouble getting back to sleep now.

----
01:

Hooray, for my favorite Yakuza dad, and adorbs dead pan psychic. Hina's monotone voice, was more or less, exactly how I pictured it. Also, dat was some really swell looking animation.

I think Mr Muffin's more or less, nails it for me and agree with him, it was a little weirdly fast paced, but nothing too bad there. I must admit, I was a little worried when I saw Mao in the preview, but it was only a brief scene in the beginning of the episode actually, which is all fine and dandy.

The comedic timing was really on point, they captured the character chemistry really well, and it was charming shit all around for me. I was smiling the entire time. I think Kei Okawa knows what he's doing here, and will do a fine job with this adaptation. I just hope, they don't try to cram, too many chapters in this one cour tho. Looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited:
We Are Number One:

Favorite of the season for now. This is good! feel.'s style is marginally appealing to me, but it fits well enough with this tone so far like it did Oregairu2, so I'm not worried. It's not bad. The animation is actually really good, the comedic timing is pretty nice, and this premise and genre is, needless to say, RIGHT up my alley, im pretty sure everyone was expecting that. I can only see myself liking the rest of it.

That said, because this show is exactly my type of thing, I'm pretty sure that I know where it's going. I can't wait for it to subvert my expectations like I always hope a show like this will, so i'm going into it with a mostly open mind.

Hina and Nitta are good characters so far. Neither are idiots but they're thrust into this situation that they can't help but just deal with, and it's handled pretty humorously. I didn't laugh but I did smile at the execution like scalp did.

I can see this being a sort of a day-in-the-life show until it gets more real later on down the line, using the setup for a lot of humorous episodes, throwing some character progression ones and more serious moments in. I'm assuming it's going to be episodic for a while before then, and I hope it will maintain a nice balance of serious to comedy, because that's the most satisfying shit to me.

A moment I particularly liked, and @Scalpelexis I'm almost 99% sure it WAS a joke, the way every single member of that gang they were busting exclaimed the same thing the same way as they were being blown up and thrown out, that got me almost as much as hina's first appearance.
Good sturf

Episode 1:

I will now be replacing outch with "aita" as I experience the daily pain train that is life.

The opening was probably the most hilarious part for me. I lost it when the guy was like "Oh no, I dropped my cellphone!" It's a silly line, but the way it was read made it hilarious. That's good comedic direction.

The rest of the episode didn't have that many big laughs, but there were several great line reads that turned decent jokes into something funnier. The voice actors are really on point and the editing for the timing is perfect so far.

I actually thought this was going to be a pure gag comedy, so I was expecting a higher joke density. I'm fairly pleased with what I got instead, though. I'm already sold on the relationship between Yakuza dad and Hina. The episode takes it's time letting them get used to each other and it leads to some cute interactions. I like that they made Hina a bit of a brat. It gives her more personality than the average deadpan character.

The build up to the attack on the rival gang was well done. The bit where she's tossing them out the window was the second funniest part of the episode.

Oh and the post credits scene got a good laugh out of me too. Piss covered Terminator. I always love a good reference to western media in anime because I never expect them.

I liked it. If the show can balance the heartwarming relationship stuff with the humor then this could be a home run.

Omg some round metal thing falls out of nowhere and hits you AND THERE IS A FACE ON IT, but screw it lets go to bed.

This guy is phased by nothing. This started weird but quickly got very good. I can't wait to see more, this is going to be a good one this season.

you all said it all now, but yeah good start, top Yukuza right here, people think they are all bad dudes, clearly they haven't met this guy, just a good guy, sheep in wolves clothing and stuff.
Looking forward to this show though, just don't bring that creepy capsule back

I like the premise and characters, but this could get boring very fast...
Man, that reference...
'Terminator'
Awesome!

Back