GTO

I will finish this manga, someday.... Or at least I keep telling myself that, hopefully some time soon.

I will finish this manga, someday.... Or at least I keep telling myself that, hopefully some time soon.
I stalled Paradise Lost ages ago, but GTO is just a classic. Better ending compared to the anime too: read it, don't watch it.

Reactions: Zed
I stalled Paradise Lost ages ago, but GTO is just a classic. Better ending compared to the anime too: read it, don't watch it.
already watched the show a while back, it's certainly one of the best shows i've ever seen. i'm about halfway through the manga, though i haven't read it in months. though hearing that the ending is better than the anime is reassuring, it's sad that the anime got axed like that with such a rushed ending.

chapter 107

This has to be one of the best chapters in the manga, Uchiyamada trying to rationalize why he's miserable, and tries to switch the blame to that to the people around him, he had lost the vision he had when he started teaching, and now is wondering what keeps him going. it's then when one of his students visits him and tells him how he had helped her find herself, which in turn helps him find a reason to continue forward, for the sake of the future of his students... it almost brought me to tears, seeing him getting back up to be with his students, despite still being sick... when Onizuka breaks down the door in his face and puts him back in the bed, and i lost my shit.

seriously though, Uchiyamada is officially one of my favorite characters of all time.

There isnt a specific discussion for the spin off, so I'll talk here from now on.

Just started reading and am currently on volume 3 of GTO; 14 Days in Shonan and it's pretty wonderful.

Just like almost all Onizuka property (all for me so far) this is wildly absurd and full of heart. As I've not read any of the manga (and am aware that starting here is dumb, but it's what I have!) I was surprised that it can balance the outlandish so well. I had the fear as someone who hasnt read manga that the absurd slapstick of the anime couldn't possibly translate to manga, but Onizuka crashing foot first through a van's windshield, or becoming "The Minoterror" with metal stilts and a horse head, good God is it good stuff.

The vulgar bits are still tastefully funny for me:

Such good stuff.

And keeping perfectly in line, the faces, oh God, the faces.

I'm so glad this wasn't a feature added to only the anime, the crazy facial features are so damn good.

Moving forward, I'll try posting thoughts in more specificity for each volume to celebrate my first complete manga read. Aww yiss.

Man, this volume has been wonderful. After arranging the sometimes-hilarious, sometimes-thrilling city-wide chase scene in volume 2, volume 3 begins with Miki and her father making amends, in perfect GTO style. Hilarity > violence > tenderness > hilarity, the GTO formula, and I eat it up.

Introducing the second worker at The Swan House being a past acquaintance was a nice (if expected) development, although I'm a little sad, as these kinds of silly love triangles are what the author or director always does to make sure my boy GTO never finds love T^T.

Omg, in perfect GTO style, Onizuka's string from his hood ripping down the rafters onto the guy he just made amends with is so perfect, I was crying laughing.

I actually remember Seiya from one of the live actions I've watched, and I hope they do it justice. Some of the simple charm of GTO is that you know he will always pull through in hilarious, over-the-top fashion and punish those that need punishing.

Man, I love this character so much. Such good, simple, hilarious charm.

Back