Kumo Desu Ga Nani Ka?

I love this series, I really do, but I cannot get my head around the character design.
In the original, Kumoko is a dark, then black spider. She evolves from probably quite creepy, to mindbogglingly terrifying, with a literal effigy of a skull on her back. But what? Her Ede Saine evolution is not just bright pink, but she has a great whopping love heart on her back?? Like I get creative license, and I understand that that had to make this character more expressive and sympathetic - but you can totally make a cute spider without trashing it's original appearance, and practically decimating six of it's eight eyes. Take a look at little old Lucas if you don't believe me. Freaking adorable. But what the hell is Kumoko!? She makes Madoka Magica look like the Rock!
I mean, in the end, I'm still gonna read it, cause I love Kumoko - I'm just sad cause in the WN I loved envisaging her being reincarnated as an actually creepy spider, but loving her anyway, who just became more and more terrifying, while still being the goofiest doofus inside. I legitimately think of this series when I see a spider now! I see them in a new light! Still a bit creeped out by some, admittedly but I can't think badly of them. The story was that relatable. Which is why I'm sad they decided that, in order to make Kumoko audience friendly in a visual format, they had to make her... less spidery. There's even a high school girl on the front cover! Okay, she's hot, I'll make an exception - but the rest still stands! Tbh, I was kinda looking forward to seeing a spider be shocked or angry with all eight of it's eyes. Four times as expressive! Or something. I'd have more to say, but spoilers, so I'll stop ranting ^^"

Final battle with the mother. Interesting take on OP character being nice, but it has consequences for her and the people.

Its amazing at first but soon enters a death spiral when hyper-speed pacing is introduced and the story degenerates into a farce of itself. There are some redeeming features but quite disappointing overall;wasted opportunity.

I read the entire thing in one go over the last two days so I probably have a different perspective from those who had to wait 7? years for only 58 chapters.

Is this series good to watch for someone who has Arachnophobia? Like would it be doable? Granted I'm curious about the series but my fear of spiders holds me back and i would actually like to try and get over my fear.

Back