Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Soldiers of Love

hey,

I used to watch the old Yamato (Starblazers) back when I was a kid in the 70s. excellent show. until
recently, I never knew it was a real ship. I have the movies as well.

12 episodes in and this is some real good shit.

It has some changes in the character dynamics from 2199, and I wouldn't say that they're better or worse, just different and still enjoyable.

There's some good intrigue going on with Garmillas as well as the new villains, and the battles are still hella fun.

Final Thoughts.

Man this got crazy at the end and I really bloody loved it. I will say that there was a lot going on, possibly too much, but I didn't really care because I was having so much fun.

The animation was once again top notch, the soundtrack carried over from 2199 was just as effective as it was in that show, the production is basically amazing.

If i have any criticism's, it's that there are a few characters from 2199 and the movie that I really enjoyed that didn't feature in this season, and I feel like the story did lose something in its complications. The first season had a clear goal from the outset with a clear villain. There were twists and turns along the way, but essentially it was the same goal the whole way through. In this show, the goal starts off one way, but by about episode 14, they've already achieved it, then they have a new goal, which does stay the same through to the end, but not without some zigzagging to get there. However, I still really enjoyed myself all the way through, mainly through some decent pacing, great dialogue, and themes that I always really enjoy.

Mainly I love how, when working with Leijiverse properties, people just don't seem to mind getting a bit fucking insane and letting themselves go loose. It's sci-fi, it's action adventure, but it's also full of magic and mysticism and weirdness and I love it. Let's not forget the robots that don't know they're robots from Galaxy Express 9999, and the immortal Harlock with his sentient ship. It's the weirdness that elevates it so high above other sci-fi shows.

2202 has the subheading Soldiers of Love, and really it's so fucking fitting. They could not have chosen a better name to demonstrate the themes of the show, and the end episodes really hammer that home.

All in all, I have to agree with the majority of the internet that it isn't quite as good as 2199, but it's still really great. 4/5

this season is bad compared to season 1. if i were to watch this as a standalone series without watching the s1 then i would've liked it better but the season 1 raised the bar so this show gets a 3 stars at best.

Back