Inuyashiki

Picking this up now, as I hear the manga is either over or about to end. It looks like a quick read, what with Oku Hiroya's style-over-substance policy and big, flashy panels with minimalistic dialogue inbetween. In spite of the manga having like 100 chapters, I think they can honestly adapt this well in 12 or 13 episodes, if the content of the first ten or so chapters I've read is anything to go by.

The art is fantastic and this might be a good anime if Production I.G. are up for the task. I haven't reached any of the particularly gory bits yet, though, so I'm not sure of how much censorship this is going to need.

Looking forward to tackling the whole thing tomorrow. Should be very doable at this rate.

It's actually going to be MAPPA doing the anime. They've definitely got some strong animation game, so it should at least look great. I haven't read the manga, but given that it's Oku Hiroya I expect a misanthropic story with some impressive and flashy action scenes. If the anime nails that second part then it could be a good time.

Thanks for the correction, not sure where I got the notion this was done by that studio. I guess it just looks like a pretty I.G.-ish project.

So, I caught up yesterday and apparently there's about a chapter left for it to be over.

I'm not sure anymore whether a single cour will be enough to cover this properly, but it should be a very fun ride regardless. It hits most of the notes that fans of Gantz would be expecting.

Caught up on all the chapters of this, and man, am I actually getting pretty hyped for the adaptation. I can't wait for some badass and heroic grandpa. :laugh:

(Dudes' adorable af tbh)

Last edited:
(Dudes' adorable af tbh)

Agreed. :love:

Something that should help in turning this into an anime is that, while there are several hard to watch scenes, I think it is pretty light when it comes to actual gore - especially compared to something like Gantz - so in that regard it won't need much censorship at all, I'd imagine. Similarly, there is some nudity, but also unlike Gantz, it's not a constant element of the series whatsoever.

Anyway, I pretty much enjoyed everything about the manga other than the way it's ending - but that was to be expected, because if Gantz taught us anything it's that Oku Hiroya can't write a good finale to save his life. So all in all I am really excited to watch this animated, and hopefully it won't be treated like some B tier project and will be given the love it deserves quality-wise.

should we mourn it? if Mappa are doing it, it might be already a dead show...

Well, they don't seem to have anything else going during the Fall season, so I'd like to think they'll bring in their A team for this one.

Usually Mappa does really great animation work, with stuff on the underwhelming side like Kakegurui being more of an exception. Their shows may turn out to be good or not-so-much by the end, but it's usually down to the storyboards rather than the direction or the art. Terror in Resonance, to name one, may have been a disappointing show for many after that stellar pilot, but it's hard to deny how freaking good it looked and sounded.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Link

Eeeeh, Mappa's a relatively pretty solid studio to me, with a good track record. Just because they've had one or two misses, doesn't mean they're instantly awful to me.

That's because that song was made by the same band who made Database

That's what I was implying, obviously. :hamster:

I'm looking forward to how they pull off the shots from the manga in which the character is up in the air and the whole city can be seen. Those were some amazing vistas and the bit in the PV with Inuyashiki fumbling around looked nice, so I want to see more.

Back