Dances with the Dragons

Episode 1:

Proof positive that a fantasy anime doesn't have to be isekai to suck ass.

The episode opens up with a mind numbing exposition dump to explain the premise of the science magic of the world and then it just keeps going with the stupid names I'm never going to remember until it sounds like every character is throwing out random garbled nonsense. At least give me a map when you're throwing out place names so I can visual what this world is supposed to look like.

Maybe I could dismiss the world stuff as garnish to give the rest of the episode some flavor, but the rest of the episode has no style. The animation is ugly, the characters are ugly and the CG is fucking fugly. The action is boring. The character are a couple of cliches and one of them is named Gayass.

I like the concept here. The modern world has discovered science advances that act like magic and now there are dragons and magical races. The world has reverted to a Game of Thrones sort of medieval political system and yet there's still enough of the world as we know it left to be recognizable. It's a neat setting that mixes genres and the main two being odd partner detectives could have an interesting noir vibe to it.

However, the show is going to have to be much better if any of that is going to matter. If not it's a whole lot of bad exposition, a whole lot of bad art and a whole lot of bad action in between two unmemorable characters snipping at each other with not particularly interesting banter.

Hopefully the adventures of Gayass and HisSwordHasToBeCompensatingForSomething will get more interesting.

It will probably be absolutely no surprise to @ZetsubouKaiji that this is the same studio, who was in charge of the new basilisk. So yeeeeeeeeeah....................................

They should start hiring animators with working fingers and hire a director that knows how action works and hire a screenwriter that doesn't actually want to be a novelist and does everything in exposition and someone new to design the characters so they don't look like Final Fantasy rejects and someone to pick their material better because one the main characters is named Gayass.

I looked on the cover and thought it was a Titan rip off looming over the buildings. But it was just a superimposed image of a malnourished old man. Not sure if disappointed or not.

Lol like what do you guys actually want? I am honestly curious. Personally I think dull people find it easier to hate on something/someone, rather than actually say something positive. And don't hit me with the victim card ( am I not allowed to have an opinion? ) it honestly baffles me when people just expect so many things from a glorified cartoon. I mean yes there is lots of really well crafted sci fi anime and theres a lot of really good realistic anime to boot. Now what I wanna know is without these silly fun ones or as you guys put it ( stupid/OTT and therefore inherently bad???) How would we define the former? Should we just expect brilliance over and over again... I dunno its just a bit funny to me. Until I'm convinced otherwise I'm gonna flag y'all as dull. After all ....its my opinion.

Lol like what do you guys actually want? I am honestly curious. Personally I think dull people find it easier to hate on something/someone, rather than actually say something positive. And don't hit me with the victim card ( am I not allowed to have an opinion? ) it honestly baffles me when people just expect so many things from a glorified cartoon. I mean yes there is lots of really well crafted sci fi anime and theres a lot of really good realistic anime to boot. Now what I wanna know is without these silly fun ones or as you guys put it ( stupid/OTT and therefore inherently bad???) How would we define the former? Should we just expect brilliance over and over again... I dunno its just a bit funny to me. Until I'm convinced otherwise I'm gonna flag y'all as dull. After all ....its my opinion.
e9d.jpg

Well it's here, from everybody's... a few people's... somebody's... ok probably nobody's favorite anime studio Seven Arcs, we've got Fairy Tail Season Th- I mean dances with dragons.

Lottery Gem Hunting 2/3
Episode 1

After the short bit of exposition explaining why there's magic in a pretty forgettable way it starts off well enough, these character designs aren't amazing, but the visuals are bleak for this scene, the music is pretty cool and well-directed, and it gives off the feel of an authentic destroyed fantasy world that could do with some exploration. I don't even mind the giant weapon, although seeing it for the first time was kinda funny.

Aaand then it gets immediately destroyed after the first scene. Immediately I'm confused about this world, the tone shifts way too much and they try to cram in some kind of government conspiracy on episode frickin 1 that there's no way I care about. They immediately cram all of this in your face to make room for what seems like a SOL the rest of the episode with gaynus and his friend with the big euphemism going through their broke lives, having furniture fetishes, setting up the rest of the story in a ridiculously rushed way.

There isn't a lot to latch onto here, it's like they can't be arsed to waste any time on meaningful presentation because they have to check off a bunch of boxes.
  • two characters introduced
  • government guy looking evil
  • people dying
  • put side characters in
  • explain why there's so much furniture in this house
  • make it relatable (eh)
Plus the visuals don't always fit the tone, it stays dull and uninspired, though the music is still pretty cool.

I'm just not seeing anything remotely interesting or new here, and what there is is just mediocre.

I don't think this is it either.

Episode 1.
Meh.

Also, that sword is ludicrous even for an anime.
Kinda reminds me of this MH weapon
switch-axe-element-discharge.png

That game is full of freakishly huge weapons too, because obviously they gotta cut up big things. Still makes no sense that they can carry them either way.

Lol like what do you guys actually want? I am honestly curious.
A GOOD ANIME

Personally I think dull people find it easier to hate on something/someone, rather than actually say something positive.
We're already saying both positive and negative things where need be.

Look,
I said:
the music is pretty cool

authentic fantasy world
I like the concept here. The modern world has discovered science advances that act like magic and now there are dragons and magical races. The world has reverted to a Game of Thrones sort of medieval political system and yet there's still enough of the world as we know it left to be recognizable. It's a neat setting that mixes genres and the main two being odd partner detectives could have an interesting noir vibe to it.

"I don't like your opinions and I think you are stupid. Don't attack me, that's my opinion!"

...sure. You do you, buddy.

"I don't like your opinions and I think you are stupid. Don't attack me, that's my opinion!"

"Dull" not stupid. I'd much rather be stupid to be fair. Would suck to be that kind of Person that's rarely pleased.

Lol its funny though coz here I am sitting here thinking " well if they like being that guy, well what am I wasting my time for?"

....and now back to the realization that everyone finds it much easier to be negative and pick things apart....I did too obviously, but now I tend to just keep the negativity to myself like a mature human being.

I mean come on....its the first episode!! Lol I picture one of you finishing the episode and literally rushing here to be the first to declare how bad you thought it was....whilst trying to be funny. Well guess what? Your the one that finds it funniest. Everyone else is just trying to outdo you.

Luuuulz yes ...I am well aware that I have fallen into the pits of cynicism. Rant over

Last edited:
....and now back to the realization that everyone finds it much easier to be negative and pick things apart....I did too obviously, but now I tend to just keep the negativity to myself like a mature human being.

Having a negative opinion = not being mature.

What a load of bullshit. You talk about people being negative, yet ironically resort to directly insulting people. Who's the one being negative here?

"Dull" not stupid. I'd much rather be stupid to be fair. Would suck to be that kind of Person that's rarely pleased.

Lol its funny though coz here I am sitting here thinking " well if they like being that guy, well what am I wasting my time for?"

I mean come on....its the first episode!! Lol I picture one of you finishing the episode and literally rushing here to be the first to declare how bad you thought it was....whilst trying to be funny. Well guess what? Your the one that finds it funniest. Everyone else is just trying to outdo you.

Luuuulz yes ...I am well aware that I have fallen into the pits of cynicism. Rant over
Must suck to have that irony fly a mile above your head.

Having a negative opinion = not being mature.

Umm I think you should be watching what's flying over your head.....I didn't say having a negative opinion was immature. Are you crazy? How is that even possible. What I said was .....
but now I tend to just keep the negativity to myself like a mature human being.

Emphasis on the keeping it to myself part....so yeh don't put words in my mouth. Read carefully. I understand though, I really do ....you was so excited to burst my little bubble and forgot to notice I didn't once say that having a negative opinion was immature. Remember next time read it CAREFULLY.

Nice try though! ❤

Back