Tokimeki Tonight

The ED for this is amazing. It's called Super Love Lotion and it makes me want to watch this even more.

Did we ever say when we're going to start watching this @HasseRovdjur, @Taekwondoin and @GenericUser? I'm good with whenever.

This ED makes me feel incredibly moist and all tingly. :megusta:

And I'm also good I guess whenever. I am pretty fucking hype for some delicious 80s retro cheese.

Last edited:
You know, I just remembered ZK rushed the fuck out of Ace Wo Nerae last time at the end too.

I'm still not over that man:

I'm keeping my eyes on you, if this turns out to be good.

Last edited:
Well Hasse should be around a little later this afternoon, and now that we've finished SZS and he's finished Tonkatsu, maybe we could start pretty soon?

Episodes 1-4:

You were expecting a clever, well thought out post about the episodes here, but
WSC5Fbr.jpg

Got invited to dinner at my sister's tomorrow, and I have a D&D game before that, so I'll probably be a dirty scoundrel and start this tonight. I know I'll just fall behind on the group otherwise, so getting a buffer up is probably a smart move.

Episode 1:

I know I'm like six hours early, but I went ahead and watched the first episode.I know Gen's gonna be a sad Panda, but at least she can rest assured that this episode will not disappoint her, because it was basically the greatest thing ever. This episode was delightfully 80s in style and hilarious from start to finish. I don't think I could have asked for anything more from an anime with a premise this silly.

Man, just two minutes into the episode and it's clear that Dracula doesn't wear the pants in this family. I should probably be disturbed by this level of domestic abuse, but it's just kinda hilarious when it's the legendary creature of the night vampire being owned by his blonde werewolf wife. I think Rance has a lot more to worry about than just being normal.

Then as if the opening doesn't make Dracdad look beta enough, his daughter then convinces him to transform into an umbrella for the entire day, because she doesn't want to get wet on the way to school. He then gets destroyed by a rich little brat and when he goes home to lick his wound he's mocked by his wife. Damn, dude.

I'm pretty sure all this domestic abuse is having a negative effect on Ranze. She gets full on punched in the face by a guy she's just met and her only response is say "he's so dreamy." I mean, yeah, the guy is a total hunky dreamboat, but he's also kind of a doofus. Ah well, still a better love story than Twilight.

That whole worrying about Ranze being normal thing didn't last for long. Seems like she takes after her father, since she goes right for the throat when rich bitch pisses her off. Unfortunately, Ranze meets an even worse fate, when she not only turns into rich bitch, but is then forced to go on a fucking creepy ass date with rich bitch's ugly ass and possibly Yakuza father.

At least she makes it home only to have her parents toss pepper at her, because apparently that is the cure for transforming.

Not really sure why Nosferadad was drinking tomato juice, unless he's disguised his blood supply as tomato juice, but it seems a bit much to keep that ruse up at home.

Of course this is an 80s shoujo so there's got to be a little melodrama and now that Ranze has awakened her supernatural powers, she needs to be inducted into the supernatural world and informed that she's already betrothed. Of course she can't be betrothed! Because she's in love with a guy that punched her in the face seconds after meeting her!

So yeah, the obvious subtext here is that the awakening of her supernatural powers are akin to puberty. They've opened up a whole new world to her, but dealing with them is going to be awkward and saddle her with a bunch of new responsibilities she feels ill equipped to deal with.

Also, what was up with the lyrics for the OP? They were hilarious, like a robot trying to write about love. "I'm just one of the vertices of a triangular relation." Get that nerd math shit out of my anime.

DEATH to ZK:

Z0QRO.gif

But I guess I can't be too mad though at the moment, because you're right, this start was fucking awesome.

01:
I really don't have anything to complain about, it was everything I wanted, and didn't miss a single beat for me, in being pretty damn funny. Ah gods though, I was pretty much in my happy place immediately, as soon as the opening came up, and it just feels so gud every time and satisfying getting shotgunned in the face with 80s deliciousness. It's a nice change of pace, and break from all the modern anime out there. Also, it's probably pretty much no secret to anyone, I fucking love these retro character designs and old school shoujo.

Man, I wasn't expecting Dracula dad, to be such a mook and pushover. Got his fucking punk ass, schooled, by werewolf wife. I do love women, who wear the pants in the family. Poor Ranz though, getting a damn piano lobbed at her in the crossfire.

Only in the 80s, would looking at somebody's backside, be considered too lewd. Don't think I've ever seen anyone ever cheat like that though, that was really about as subtle as a brick to the face. Also, those celebrations near the end of the episode, was a pretty amazing ass moment. If only my parents could be this fabulous.

I'm never ever going to skip that ED, ever. ~Suuupeeeer Love Looootttiiion

In general, I loved how goofy as fuck it was, and the shenanigans of these characters have pretty much charmed the pants right off me. This is basically my face right now:

2frrHFv.png

So amazingly fucking cheese and really fun stuff, I'm looking forward to the rest!

Last edited:
1:

I dig

It's basically Hotel Transylvania or the Addams Family through the lens of Rumiko Takahashi going full Rumiko Takahashi. Funny yes, but I certainly can't say I'm behind the "romance" here. Forcing marriage on children sucks but sooner or later Ranze's gonna have to realize that no amount of good looks is enough to make up for the sort of intelligence that matches an eggplant.

Otou-san a best for sure. his seiyuu here sounds just like Akira Kamiya, who anyone mindful of such things whose watched City Hunter or Urusei Yatsura could tell you is great at selling comedy.

I stayed up late playing video games instead of watching anime, so I am no longer deserving of being called a dirty scoundrel. Here's my episode impression, and on time.

Episode 1:
So they fight every full moon? [insert that time of the month joke here] Anyway, sucks to be Ranze, growing up in such an abusive household. Both she and Rinze have accepted this state of affairs as nothing they can change, so they just accept living surrounded by violence. And not only that, it's so deeply ingrained in her that she associates violence with displays of affection, as ZK noted. It was still funny, though, especially Ranze throwing dad his cape and mom's subsequent Marilyn moment (how lewd!). Damn old cultural mores.

However, the fact that she says that they both enjoy it indicate that this is all some freaky foreplay they have, which is way more unsettling since it involves arguing about a child. The fact that dear old vampire dad smoked in bed after last night just convinces me even further of this theory. It's great that they have an active sex life this long into marriage, but do try and keep some tact, please?

So, if she were to inherit both vampirism and lycanthropy, would that make her turn into a flying dog of some kind come the full moon?

Yoko and Ranze may be rivals in love, but they do share one thing in common, and that is doting dads. Though boss Kamiya sure seems to have some kind of feeding fetish. Gods above, this anime is sick!

It only gets worse when Shira restores her daughter to her original form again. S&M brand pepper? Is there no end to the depravity?

Great stuff all around.

Not really sure why Nosferadad was drinking tomato juice, unless he's disguised his blood supply as tomato juice, but it seems a bit much to keep that ruse up at home.
Addiction displacement? Way before Pratchett did it in Discworld, too.

It's basically Hotel Transylvania or the Addams Family through the lens of Rumiko Takahashi going full Rumiko Takahashi. Funny yes, but I certainly can't say I'm behind the "romance" here. Forcing marriage on children sucks but sooner or later Ranze's gonna have to realize that no amount of good looks is enough to make up for the sort of intelligence that matches an eggplant.

Otou-san a best for sure. his seiyuu here sounds just like Akira Kamiya, who anyone mindful of such things whose watched City Hunter or Urusei Yatsura could tell you is great at selling comedy.
Yeah, it's pretty meh with the romance so far, but if the comedy keeps delivering, I'm all in.

Yeah, Kamiya sure has some great comedic chops when he's not omae wa mou shinderuing everyone in sight.

Episode 2:
Does anyone in the Etou househould have a sense of privacy? First the mom is spying on her daughter's dream because she can't control her sweet tooth, and then Ranze's pet bird is giving her the third degree for some odd reason (totally not exposition!). Anyway, Ranze wants to become a normal girl, and travels into the demon realm to get her wish come true. Sadly, it's only the second episode, so her plan is doomed to fail from the beginning. I dug the track playing when she was walking the mists. It gave the journey an eerie feeling as she ventured into the unknown, even if she never arrived at her stated destination.

At least she fell into a wishing pond and managed to inadvertently stalk Makabe in the shape of a baseball, so it was not all a loss. And holy fuck was her stalker monologues creepy as fuck. That's not a healthy way to think, Ranze.

A good second episode, and I do want more of this.

Last edited:
Episode 1

Holy fuck that ED is 2lewd
Tfw u will neva have a werewolf waifu to fighto with on a full moon ;_;

Vampdad a best, he gets to stay as an umbrella for a day until that dick comes and tries to break him in half, and then he obviously takes a bite out of the Count Duckula recipe book with his tomato juice. Gotta try and integrate with the locals.

Romance is bad, but as Gen said, it's an 80's shoujo, don't expect anything more than "he's dreamy", unless it's Ace wo Nerae of course.

Hasse and I often joke that the 80's lasted until 1995 in Japan, it's pretty obvious that the 70s lasted until 1983 at least too, judging by this show. It's so full of 70s shoujo cliches, cheesy shit that brings a massive smile to my face. The episode went by in a flash, Ranze was fun because she ain't just some push over basic bitch, she will bite chunks out of your goddamn neck. Even if it does mean going on some weird onion feeding fetish date with the head of the Yakuza branch.
Great first episode.

A new challenger buddy appears!

I just noticed this show is in my WtW list so I'm joining aswell.

Episode 1

Man, this is so cheesy and silly but at the same time it's funny. I'm not surprised Ranze got those impressive reflexes with all the domestic violence between her parents and their habit of throwing shit to each other. Still that's a lot better than dealing with the creepy fatass yoko has as a father.

Like anyone else said, the romance is kinda meh, but expecting a good romance in a shoujo of this era is like expecting everyone in Brother, Dear Brother to behave like decent human beings, so I'm ok with it as long as the comedy remains this good.

Last but not least, I love the ending. I lost track of how many times I've already replayed it.

Last edited:
Back