Saga of Tanya the Evil

Another fantasy WW2-ish show next season? But this time it stars a brutal and sadistic 30 plus dude who finds himself turned into a blonde loli and is now voiced by Aoi Yuuki. Hmm. The source material seems well-received.

Could be crap or not but I don't think I can pass this up after reading that ridiculous premise.

PV looked pretty uninspiring to me with the shitty ass music. The MC looks edgy as fuck, and I get the feeling this is just going to be another one of those dull power wish-fulfilment fantasies but you know, with a loli instead. Also, it's going to probably be lathered with a crap ton of clunky exposition dumping. But, that's just what my instinctive gut feeling tells me.

I think, also, another reason, I'm just not keen on it, is I think the fantasy + war/military angle has been getting a little tiresome for me too, and well, Izetta from last season certainly didn't instil any confidence in me about it. I kind of just want something, that doesn't involve fantastical elements or mechas with a warring setting for once.

I think, also, another reason, I'm just not keen on it, is I think the fantasy + war/military angle has been getting a little tiresome for me too, and well, Izetta from last season certainly didn't instil any confidence in me about it. I kind of just want something, that doesn't involve fantastical elements or mechas with a warring setting for once.
Soooo... Kingdom? Although the anime looks like crap (I heard it gets better in s2 though), the manga is great

Soooo... Kingdom? Although the anime looks like crap (I heard it gets better in s2 though), the manga is great

I don't think I've actually seen that yet, but maybe I'll check it out sometime in the future.

I don't think I've actually seen that yet, but maybe I'll check it out sometime in the future.
I'd definitely recommend picking up the manga over the anime (the artwork's pretty nice, and the manga goes way beyond the anime). Also, the start feels quite shounen-ish, so don't drop it too soon :)

PV looked pretty uninspiring to me with the shitty ass music.
about that music: it's by the same group as Re:Zero's Styx Helix... but the music in this PV is 1) not as good and 2) doesn't really fit the scenes...

Apparently they also did Bubuki Branki and Overlord, but I haven't seen those so can't comment on those songs

PV looked pretty uninspiring to me with the shitty ass music. The MC looks edgy as fuck, and I get the feeling this is just going to be another one of those dull power wish-fulfilment fantasies but you know, with a loli instead. Also, it's going to probably be lathered with a crap ton of clunky exposition dumping. But, that's just what my instinctive gut feeling tells me.
I picked up the manga version on a whim, and it actually seems to be more... magical SoL career military person in a strange world comedy...?
It's pretty absurd, and the "adult man made to reincarnate and grown up as magical girl" aspect is actually the least absurd part of it.
So it's less edgy, intimidating zoom in on face, and instead more...
f011.jpg

f012.jpg

f013.jpg

f014.jpg
Stuff like that.

t007.jpg
Or that.

Not saying that any of this means the anime will be good, though. The anime is a light novel adaptation alongside the manga, and there's quite the track record of manga adaptations of light novels being far better than the anime adaptations! This is not unlikely to be yet another such example.
The production quality doesn't exactly seem like it's the best for this anime so far.

But the manga at least, so far, suggests to me that a good director could make the anime something quite worthwhile.
I'll be checking it out, but if it's just a plainly inferior product by 3 episodes then I'll just stick with the manga.
In fact, I have a creeping suspicion that voice acting might just make everything worse.

TL;DR:
I'd definitely recommend picking up the manga over the anime (the artwork's pretty nice, and the manga goes way beyond the anime). Also, the start feels quite shounen-ish, so don't drop it too soon :)
Shouneny start is worth mentioning, yes.

I picked up the manga version on a whim, and it actually seems to be more... magical SoL career military person in a strange world comedy...?
It's pretty absurd, and the "adult man made to reincarnate and grown up as magical girl" aspect is actually the least absurd part of it.
So it's less edgy, intimidating zoom in on face, and instead more...
f011.jpg

f012.jpg

f013.jpg

f014.jpg
Stuff like that.

t007.jpg
Or that.

Not saying that any of this means the anime will be good, though. The anime is a light novel adaptation alongside the manga, and there's quite the track record of manga adaptations of light novels being far better than the anime adaptations! This is not unlikely to be yet another such example.
The production quality doesn't exactly seem like it's the best for this anime so far.

But the manga at least, so far, suggests to me that a good director could make the anime something quite worthwhile.
I'll be checking it out, but if it's just a plainly inferior product by 3 episodes then I'll just stick with the manga.
In fact, I have a creeping suspicion that voice acting might just make everything worse.

TL;DR:

Shouneny start is worth mentioning, yes.
this stuff actually makes me more inclined to watch it

The trailers make me think they're going to turn the ''seriousness'' up for the adaptation. Not that I have read a page of it, but I also don't see a hint of what BB posted in the trailers. Then again it's entirely possible they're just focusing the promos around the edgy aspects to sell it better.

The manga excerpts make me a bit more hopeful.

After the flop that was Izetta, I am a bit wary of supernatural meets military, but the potential mental dialogue might make up for any shortcomings. I'm just hoping they don't go too serious with it, but I'm not holding my breath for anime of the season here.

It was kind of silly. Not exactly boring to watch, but also not remarkable.

The animation is alright aside from the horrid CG. I'm not very sold on the whole aerial combat thing going on, though, because I feel there's only so much they can do with it. The highlight was Tanya chopping off that one soldier's head in a fast fashion, but otherwise this gave off the impression that it's going to be a whole lot of ''magical'' shooting and little else. Speaking of which, they talked of this ''magic'' so briefly and with such ambiguity that it didn't really make me interested in learning about how it works.

The pace mostly felt a bit scattered - kind of just hopping around the different areas of the battlefield and the commanding officers in the capital. Although maybe that's just me.

I don't really know what to expect of this show. My easiest prediction character-wise would be a whole lot of Visha ranting about Tanya's inhumane ways throughout the episodes with Tanya gradually softening up because of it. And that sounds dull as hell. As for plot, I'm just picturing a bunch of diverse battle situations as a setting for the above ''character development'', ending with a bigger battle with allegedly higher stakes.

So yeah, it wasn't too bad, but it doesn't leave me holding my breath for any grand war tale waiting to be unfolded. It's more likely that Tanya's edginess factor will wear off eventually and we'll be left with a rather mundane action show.

As a side note, I find it a tad weird that they're located in faux-Germany, yet the sidekick female character's name sounds decidedly Russian.

I basically agree with everything LinkSword said.

Well, this is pretty different, than what @BrainBlow posted here. Like there was barely even a hint of comedy, and seems.....more like a straight forward war action anime, than anything else. It was kind of all over the place, and the magical explanation at the end, was just kind of cringe-y for me. Tbh, I didn't find myself particularly interested in anything that was going on, and those edge facial expressions, had me laughing. I don't really like any of the characters either or feel like they left an impression.

Last edited:
I saw some screenshots and those character designs... urgh. In combination with the lukewarm reception, I don't think I'll watch this after all

As a side note, I find it a tad weird that they're located in faux-Germany, yet the sidekick female character's name sounds decidedly Russian.
She's literally from faux-Moscow. Assuming politics are a bit different here, despite the clear WW1 correlations, especially considering the war with Scandinavia and whatnot.

Saw the first episode and didn't much care for it. It wasn't inherently bad or anything, just... unappealing. I'll give it at least one more episode to get me interested before I drop it, but I doubt I'll be seeing this show through.

Episode 1:
An...okay first episode I guess.

I dunno what to make of it but I had fun watching it to be honest. I found the action decent enough to keep my attention. LN readers keep insisting the source material is like impossible to adapt. Too complex or some shit I dunno. So yeah I guess if that's the case then they'll probably intend to make the anime into a straight-up action show with Aoi Yuuki sounding like a bored grandma.

I guess I could live with that though the "psycho badass loli" shtick will probably get old fast.

Back