To Be Hero

01:

You know, I definitely did feel a watanabe shinichi spark to this with the absurdity here, the biggest problem for me though is the animation. It's absolutely dreadful.

I'm not even kidding, it's so stiff, distractingly stiff actually, that I think this episode could have been better and the jokes/gags could have benefited from less shitty animation for me. Seriously, Excel Saga may not have had the best animation in the world, but it certainly was better than this, jesus christ.

Last edited:
Episode 1:

This was a pretty meh first episode.
I laughed less because they were genuinely funny and more because of how over the top crude they were. As Gen said the animation was quite shitty and it all felt pretty lifeless despite how energetically the jokes were delivered. If the material were funnier I probably wouldn't have minded, but given that the material was pretty meh, it needs that extra spark to get off the ground.

I can see the gag of him trying to say one thing, but saying something completely perverted instead getting old pretty quickly unless they can get really creative with it.

oFI2BCY.jpg

Just what every man wants to hear from a trashy woman he's just met.

More than anything this felt like a very pale imitation of One Punch Man. Especially with how easily the invading aliens were dispatched. It didn't have any of OPM wit or charm though.

Episode 2:

This isn't as bad as Nanbaka, but I'm still feeling really meh about it. The only joke that really made me laugh this episode was the pink furred alien accidentally killing himself. The neighbor is just really gross and not particularly funny. Other than that it was a lot of not particularly funny potty humor. The best thing I can say about it is at least it's making fun of casual female ecchi with lots of ugly dude service.

Also, this is another anime that just wastes Sugita in a minor role.

Meh, it's got energy and the jokes are rapid fire, but most of them aren't connecting for me. I think the show leans too hard on the crude potty humor hoping to shock me into laughing, but so far it's not working because I've heard and seen worse.

Honestly, I have to 100% agree with ZK. The humour kind of comes off as pretty tasteless and a bit immature for the most part. Seitokai Yakuindomo may not be the funniest show on the planet, but if I want this kind of crude humour, I'd probably rather watch that instead, because that's basically the high-water mark for me with this kind of thing.

2:

Not gonna lie, for a moment there I thought Old Man had suddenly transformed into that stock loli.

03:

This episode was pretty bad to be honest. The series was already suffering on the humour front already, the last thing this show really needed was to include eye-rolling and cringe inducing serious bits with the daughter crying that I gave frankly zero fucks about it. That basically stopped and killed the humour dead in it's tracks, blech.

Episode 3:

The weird serious bit at the end of the episode has to be one of the most pathetic things I've seen this year. Although the Emoji face guy was a pretty pitiful attempt at humor as well and the references to Ass Class only made it worse. The whole episode really reeked of being made by someone that's completely out of touch.

However, what makes it worst of all is hearing Sugita and remember that he's been in stuff that's actually funny.

However, what makes it worst of all is hearing Sugita and remember that he's been in stuff that's actually funny.

Yeah, this seems to be just a bad season for Sugita in comedies in general. His role in Classicaloid isn't much better really and seems to mainly be there as an excuse to rant about Gyoza excessively. At least he's in 3-Gatsu though.

Yeah, this seems to be just a bad season for Sugita in comedies in general. His role in Classicaloid isn't much better really and seems to mainly be there as an excuse to rant about Gyoza excessively. At least he's in 3-Gatsu though.
He was fighting an uphill battle in Hatsukoi Monster too. This year has certainly done things to his resume.

Episode 3
Oh lord, it tried being meta and make references to better things... Also, adding in a serious part at the end when the comedy was so flat and awful... it doesn't work.

4:

This reminded of the God of Lard episodes of Milky Holmes, but somehow grossed me out even more.

Since the Alien Prince and Old Man are now roomies, I hope that set-up will be enough to unlock this show's comedic potential since I'm still not laughing at this any where near as much as I should.

Episode 4

Oh, this just took a turn for the awkward...
Yes, Hero of Earth, I want to bang your daughter because she reminds me of the mother that used to beat me. Now that we are roommates and I've sold my ship in order to potentially bang your daughter, I hope we can let bygones be bygones...

Episode 4:

This anime should thanks its lucky stars for Sugita, because he manages to wring at least some humor out of the infantile jokes. The episode is still mostly unfunny, but it's hard to not to at least crack a small style at Sugita's energetic performance. I didn't care for the super gross snot stuff, though. I just wish the humor could be a bit more clever, because so many of the punchlines are too damn obvious and that's one thing that can totally kill comedy.

For me the funniest bit was how the aliens are broke as fuck if that's all their entire war chest could afford.

05:

"Some things just can't be fixed once they break" Oh boy......I could really feel the cheese being shoved down my throat.

Back