Mahou Tsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito

Gens

Database Moderator
Mahou Tsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito
Alt title: The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

That first Magus Bride OVA was such a damn great start........but I need fucking MOAAAAR! God fudging dammit, why was it only 20 minutes long? That was too short and I ended up getting so entranced by the beautiful art and atmosphere, and then boom, done, before I could even blink. :crying:

I've never felt teased so hard before.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was great and all, but I can't say I'm terribly thrilled about the idea of being blue-balled for 6 months.

I didn't know anything about this going in, but that episode was pretty damn awesome. The first episode does an excellent job of setting up the world and the characters. I loved the chill atmosphere, the simple humor and the cool way the magic is portrayed. It's nice to see a fantasy show where magic permeates all aspects of life. Even during mundane activities there's neat little magic details to spot in the background.

The flashback was really well executed.
It managed to get across just how horrific her situation was in a compact few scenes. The chase through the forest was actually pretty terrifying and seeing the monster burst into a bunch of rats when it hit the door was creepy.

Episode 1 was AMAZING! had no idea this was even coming out, and then I went onto an anime site and seen it.

The colors are amazing! .. And her back story was emotional. Can tell this is going to be amazing

Really glad you enjoyed it ZK. :drinking:

Also, shout out to @Taekwondoin, I'm pretty much 110% sure you're going to love it too. It's short-lived and yeah, the wait is gonna be painful, but it's still an awesome 23 minutes though nonetheless. I'm hoping as hard as I possibly can this prequel is going to result in a series after all the OVAs air because I was seriously beyond impressed with this execution.

I didn't realize this was already out.

I think I'll just wait until all episodes are complete. My copy of the fifth volume of the manga just arrived so I'll just stick with that.

I haven't been following this much but this is before the manga, yes?

I plan to watch it once all the episodes are released, but it sure is hard to resist the temptation to watch the first ova

I haven't been following this much but this is before the manga, yes?

As far as I know yes, this is some sort of a prequel of the manga.

Ep 2 when :crying:

Had more time than I thought I did so I'm writing more.

Episode 1

Well this looks utterly brilliant, and sounds great too, a lot of those little sound effects really reminded me of how Miyazaki uses sound to show the otherworldliness of magical things, it's a really nice touch and makes the world feel like magic is a huge central part of it.

Did I say it looks gorgeous? Because it does, Elias looks so imposing being so utterly huge, but they manage to make him walk and move with brilliant grace, and Ruth's transformation was pretty damn great too.

I did find it funny that in this quaint little english village, they were eating pancakes with bacon and maple syrup, probably the least english breakfast I can think of, when they had taken so many other steps to place it firmly in the country.

But yeah, I loved this, it went by far too fast, and now we have how long to wait until the next OVA? Oh well, this was a good show to break the slump.

Last edited:
This was really interesting.

The character designs reminded me a lot of Darker than Black. Chise looks exactly like Suou from the 2nd season aged a few years.

Last edited:
I'd say two things make this series stand apart. The first is that the girl deliberately seeks to be bought rather than being unwillingly sold and made hostage, a la Beauty and the Beast. The first episode begins to touch on that point.

The second for me is a little less easily described. I love, love, love Celtic and old mythology, and almost all media in both the East and West gloss over it. Witches are magical girls or evil, faeries are Tinkerbell, magic is sparkly light beams and transformation sequences and waving a wand to make flowers grow. I love the aesthetic of old world lore, mixing potions and quiet results and nixies and brownies and sylphs and Puck. I'm constantly on the lookout for solid, well-told representations of this kind, and it is surprisingly hard to find them.

Miyazaki gets close in Kiki and Howl, but doesn't quite hit home on exploring the magic and completely skips over mentions of mythology. This show is hitting all the best notes, and I wish it was slated for more than three episodes. It is singular in what it showcases, and it is gorgeous to look at. I'm excited for more.

I'd say two things make this series stand apart. The first is that the girl deliberately seeks to be bought rather than being unwillingly sold and made hostage, a la Beauty and the Beast. The first episode begins to touch on that point.

The second for me is a little less easily described. I love, love, love Celtic and old mythology, and almost all media in both the East and West gloss over it. Witches are magical girls or evil, faeries are Tinkerbell, magic is sparkly light beams and transformation sequences and waving a wand to make flowers grow. I love the aesthetic of old world lore, mixing potions and quiet results and nixies and brownies and sylphs and Puck. I'm constantly on the lookout for solid, well-told representations of this kind, and it is surprisingly hard to find them.

Miyazaki gets close in Kiki and Howl, but doesn't quite hit home on exploring the magic and completely skips over mentions of mythology. This show is hitting all the best notes, and I wish it was slated for more than three episodes. It is singular in what it showcases, and it is gorgeous to look at. I'm excited for more.
Good news for you then, only the prequel OVA is scheduled for 3 episodes, there is a full 2 cour TV show airing this autumn.

So I watched the first episode of the OVA, and ... ummm ... I hate to say it, but this is xxxHolic with flashier animation and duller characters. Like, I'm not even kidding. :D

Reactions: Zed
Good animation. It's in rare supply these days. Just try to breathe and remember the good times before fall season kicks in you in the nuts for expecting things to be this level of quality.
I'd like to think this was beyond just good animation.

Back