Berserk (2016)

Episode 1: All over the place... the animation is horrible... they are taking pieces of the story and people from all over the black swordsman, lost children and even tower of conviction and mixing them together in incomprehensible ways... I liked the opening animation part a lot though... I'll probably still watch it regardless since I'm a big fan of the manga but... well I guess I'd say the first episode was even worse than expected.

^ Whelp, thank you for confirming exactly what I was expecting. You know what, I think I'm going to avoid this like the plague now.

Episode 1:

That wasn't as bad as i expected tbh, other than the horrid cgi i actually enjoyed the episode overall.

Aw man...they just skipped the entire Lost Children Arc. I knew it would be too brutal for TV, even if its already Berserk. But skipping it entirely, that is the best and my favourite arc. The Ants quote and the demons surrounding him lacked so much impact.

At first I was ''this isnt so bad''. They mashed some arcs together but if you havent read the manga it is easy to follow. But then they just seem to have skipped several arcs. I just hope they prove me wrong and put those arcs somewhere else in the story.

And I dont like CGI but this was really crappy CGI. Some of those faces looked like they were made by the creators of Popee, square and those mouth flaps.

Episode 1:
Fugly CG, introduction of Puck is different, no Snake Baron, no slug Count, no Rosine, did I mention fugly CG?

Looks like we're off to a good start here.

But I'll follow this show until the end because I fucking love Berserk.

Pretty sure they are going to the arcs they missed after this episode, they really don't want to miss any source material considering how long it takes for chapters to come out. i just thought this point is the manga is a good place for a re introduction of the series and thats why they started there.

Pretty sure they are going to the arcs they missed after this episode, they really don't want to miss any source material considering how long it takes for chapters to come out. i just thought this point is the manga is a good place for a re introduction of the series and thats why they started there.
Even without the stuff they skipped, there should still be enough for 24-26 episodes so I'm not sure why they'd just do that.

Episode 1:

That wasn't as bad as i expected tbh, other than the horrid cgi i actually enjoyed the episode overall.

agree even though I'm rather meh w/e to people complaining about cg

made by the creators of Popee, square and those mouth flaps.

don't you go knocking popee!! (puck honestly feels like it should be from popee thou...)

Episode 1

I will just say the detailed art of the manga was represented by ugly sketch lines for the anime. That bothered me more than CG. Nice try but you can't fool me.

1:

The few scattered seconds of 2-D hand drawn art, the OP, and the preview music were the only good parts. This really is just something for people who are just that desperate for more animated Berserk. Can you imagine this being someone's first exposure to the franchise? Yuck.

I watched it with glasses on and everything was still wrong. Tell me why, Lidenfilms!

Last edited:
I didn't mind the cgi art, though I think it would have looked much better in standard format with more detail. I'm hoping this first episode isn't an indication of all the skipping around the arcs they could do, but as a huge Berserk fan, I'll follow it to the end, good or bad.

I don't like the OP or ED songs or animations (or lack there of for the ED animation). The animation overall is terrible. The CG feels and looks stale and lifeless. The hash mark shading is garbage. There's also a heavy lack of sound effects where there should be. For example, the discussion with the monk in the wagon. Sure, we should be focused on their dialog, but to do so doesn't mean all other sound needs to be absent. The background music doesn't seem to fit... with exception to the episode preview music. That was the one piece of music that was fitting.

The eye catch is dull too. Oh, and like others have said, them skipping a bunch of shit is annoying.

Considering the studio that has been given the task to do this, and the end result, I'm convinced the people responsible for this new Berserk series getting made don't have any faith in it. It makes one think they have purposefully set it up to fail. Which yeah, I get it, Berserk is incredibly violent and graphic... and quite old at this point. So it's more difficult to market. But come the fuck on, if you're going to half ass shit, don't blame the source material when the new anime doesn't pull in the profits you were expecting.

So, at this point, Berserk fans will just have to accept we'll never get a quality anime series that goes beyond the eclipse.

Maybe they'll get their shit together as the series progresses, and the animation will look less shitty and maybe more fitting music will be used. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Episode 1
I went in with 0 expectations and still came out disappointed...

skipping Lost Children Arc is arguably ok, however
he was a lot more wounded in the manga so Guts getting caught was actually normal there...

Apart from that the adaptation of the story is okay i guess. I'm not the biggest fan of the music although the ED is quite nice imo. And then there's the fugly CG... this looks a lot worse than Ajin imo. The shading is annoying on these CG-characters, and some of the 2D-shots also remind you of what could have been. There are also things that look like they're a different CG-style than others
like those skeletons look more... shiny? glossy? compared to the characters.
But even for the characters it looks like there are at least 2 different styles. Same with the backgrounds - a more classic style and the full-on CG. The switching around in styles is more off-putting than constantly having Popee-level CG imo.

Pretty much. They took this route because it's the easiest way to introduce the setting and the basics of Gut's personality quickly. It gives a quick glimpse of his inner demons and how that shapes his world view.

I was okay with the plot this episode, but the animation makes it nearly unwatchable. The action looks like shit, the characters look like shit and everything is stiff and lifeless. Berserk is pretty pointless if you can't get the action and art to look right. A large part of Berserk's charm is the absurdly detailed art.

Also this episode reminded me why I thought the first series was smart to leave Puck out.

Back