Alderamin on the Sky

Lazy, black haired male lead, who is actually gonna be super OP.
Red haired noble lady, who has fire powers.
Warring kingdoms.
Loli princess.
And a military academy.

About as paint by numbers as it gets.

Lazy, black haired male lead, who is actually gonna be super OP.
Red haired noble lady, who has fire powers.
Warring kingdoms.
Loli princess.
And a military academy.

About as paint by numbers as it gets.
Thanks for the tip. I know what I'm not watching.

Episode 1

Well, that was different as for now. The main cast ends up in a unusual situation
[being stranded behind enemy lines for now.
In a world with semi-magical technology where air balloons are seen are a highly advanced product while at the same time weapons powered by magical spirits being normal. Inori Minase as a loli is nothing new and the cast overall just feels like the usual voices for these kinds of roles.

In the end the anime was quite interesting for a first episode but seeing the poster doesn't built much hope for the future being particularly bright for this product. However we will see. Production value was pretty good with no too noticeable cost cutting for my tastes and while the character designs aren't the greatest thing ever with the faces being shaded quite sunken sometimes it still doesn't distract too much and doesn't vary that much from the norm.

so basically, it was watchable and interesting enough. The pacing was so-so and the characters are so-so as well as for now though so nothing mind blowing but it hasn't tripped over it's own feet yet.

Episode 1:
I'm a sucker for the whole fantasy military thing so I was actually kinda looking forward to this.

Well... the first episode was okay. It was watchable and I actually wanna know more about the world and its lore and whatnot. I did find the MC a bit obnoxious though but the rest of the cast is fine. Especially Haroma's chest. Haroma's chest is pretty fine.

Episode 2.
Here's more cliches.
Generic MC is the son of Disgraced Military Guy, who was some big hero until some thing happened to ruin his reputation. And good God, they just sped through this episode. They started off shanking bitches, and by the end, they're like generals or something. And was I supposed to care about Beard Guy? Cause I don't.

Episode 2:
Episode 2 showed some really nice potential, but the episode overall was a bit uneven and it moved too fast. I did enjoy the last few scenes and Ikta might actually be more complex than I thought. Well I hope. At least, there's no trace of his pervy behavior here unlike last episode. That could get old really fast. My favorite character so far is Yatori. Her relationship with Ikta is pretty interesting and entertaining.

Episode 3.
And I'm done. This show has ZERO concept of pacing. Add to that yet another throng of cliche character types and I'm just done.

Dropped.

1 out of 5.

Episode 3:
So Ikta actually banged someone's mom. That was unexpected. Nothing noteworthy but it kinda separates him from the typical LN protagonists.

Anyway, this episode overall is...uh...eh. It wasn't terrible, but I enjoyed the previous one more. The military academy setting is expected, but it's all very reminiscent of Valkyria Chronicles 2 to me which means there's a lot of cliches and stereotypes. Stuff like the dimwitted bullies who'll do anything to put our underdog heroes in their places and other crap.

Also, you know the pacing is very disjointed when there's a lot of time-skips. I wish it'll slow down a bit and do some build-up.

I guess you either love or hate Ikta. I do enjoy seeing him act like an asshole, but he's moving dangerously into Marty Stu territory. Outsmarting opponents is good and all, but I hope he also struggles a bit in the future.

Last edited:
Episode 4:
This is probably the best episode so far. They actually showcased Ikta's planning and how he set up the situation instead of pulling stuff out of his ass. Also, Madhouse putting that budget to good use. That Yatori fight scene was just smooth and badass.

Episode 4:
Well that fight scene was pretty cool. And they explained how the strategy came to be so that was alright. I was half expecting some " because we said so " kinda thing so happily disappointed.

Just marathoned the first 8 episodes
Here are my thoughts:

Technology and philosophy are somewhat similar to the early age of enlightenment. They have guns but a sniper seems to still be a new concept, so likely similar to the blunderbuss and early rifles. The fact that an air balloon is carved wood and a novelty also speaks to the early stages of flight.
The rising study of science would also be very in line with the age of enlightenment. So, this feels like an alternate end to the Dark Ages. There is also mention of the invention of the printing press, so that puts the timeline roughly in the 1600s
The only thing that doesn't fit is the military clothes, which appear more American Civil War or later in style.

Characters
Ikta starts off rather Mary Stu, but his romances seem to be limited to older women, he's been on the losing end of fights, and his strategies tend to be "least effort, maximum outcome". Also, his habit of bug eating makes me think he's Timon incarnate (lion king reference ftw) But a lot about his character remains unexplained

On the flip, Yatori is a tsundere with berserker mode, almost at yandere levels without the obsession factor. Episode 5 gives a bit of backstory on why she acts the way she does, and other episodes imply her love-hate relationship with Ikta is caussed by his flirtaeous shield.
The rest of the cast drastically need development.

Story
Rather bland, but from the pacing and some of the narrative, i'm guessing this is meant to showcase Ikta's rise as a military genius... Like a documentary of his life.

Ep 1,
Wow, these character designs are stuck in another era. The lips or something just looks outdated or bland. I will probably completely forget how everyone looks but the big guy (because he looks like Lunk from Mospeada.)
The episode is pretty average, but the where in time this fantasy is set, aspect might keep me coming back. I enjoyed the floating airship thingy.

Episode 11
So now it's a faceoff I guess between the prodigy of the ages and Ikta the unknown. Still somewhat impressive that the enemy army managed to lose 2,000 troops from their rear guard action. Also the decision and aftermath of saving the Sinack is pretty good.

Episode 11
*slides up to white-hair McHotPants* God, you're annoying

Ikta, Ikta, he's our man. If he can't do it, call Yatori because damn girl, you scary. Her speech at the end was terrifying. And the fact that Ikta knows an order to kill him could come whenever is soul-crushing.

The aftermath of the skirmish was much more interesting. Matt finally realizing how stupid his bravado last episode was, Ikta continuing to deal with losing troops due to his actions...

Episode 11

Honestly after that question and answer, I am expecting our red haired beauty to die if we follow the anime trend of anime doing this sort of thing just before a tragic occurrence. Ikta is obviously the true lead character and Yatori as cool as she is isn't exactly an irreplaceable personality.

At least she won't be able to be forced to kill Ikta? Or maybe she kills herself instead of Ikta? Oh well, we will see...

Episode 13

Honestly, this episode didn't feel well produced it lacked in content and action and resolves things way to cleanly while dropping some sequel/continuation hooks right at the end while once again insinuating that she who will not be named because it is a spoiler will be an adversary in the long run. But yeah, it was a pretty weak episode for a final episode for a series that was relatively strong for most of it's airing time.

3.5/5

Last edited:
Episode 13:
The ending was...ok I guess. Definitely a sequel hook but since the chances of this getting a second season is pretty nil it might as well be a glorified commercial for the light novels.

Alderamin overall is a pretty solid series. Probably the most overlooked anime this season and it's definitely not another "crappy LN adaptation." The first few episodes didn't much help much - they were paced horribly and the story was all over the place, but once the war with the Sinack kicks in, it really, really picks up. I was actually ready to hate Ikta Solork. First impression of him was eh. He seemed like he's just another Gary Stu but his character actually has some depth and I grew fascinated with his "scientific" and "lazy" approach to war. In the end, I found him compelling and likable enough.

I give this show a 8 out of 10. If there's no second season I hope Yen On/Yen Press or some other company will pick up the novels.

Last edited:
Episode 13:
The ending was...ok I guess. Definitely a sequel hook but since the chances of this getting a second season is pretty nil it might as well be a glorified commercial for the light novels.

Alderamin overall is a pretty solid series. Probably the most overlooked anime this season and it's definitely not another "crappy LN adaptation." The first few episodes didn't much help much - they were paced horribly and the story was all over the place, but once the war with the Sinack kicks in, it really, really picks up. I was actually ready to hate Ikta Solork. First impression of him was eh. He seemed like he's just another Gary Stu but his character actually has some depth and I grew fascinated with his "scientific" and "lazy" approach to war. In the end, I found him compelling and likable enough.

I give this show a 8 out of 10. If there's no second season I hope Yen On/Yen Press or some other company will pick up the novels.
I completely agree. A few cliched things and some bad story pacing here and there, but otherwise a pretty solid story and good characters. 8/10 from me as well.

Back