Rewrite

Wanted to let everyone know that the first episode just came out!

He's also the last preview of the anime for those wanting to see it-

Episode 1

Let's get things straight here right now. The school stuff already screams harem lead from the start so I'll judge that for what it was. It was just as I expected and it carried out quite well for this genre. It was competent enough. His own schools school uniforms are really out there even for school uniforms despite being very light on the fanservice feeling but I could quickly ignore the silly somewhat over-designed school uniforms.

The fantasy bit wasn't great in terms of pacing but was easy to follow though it felt a bit like padding. What it was was quite interesting to watch regardless so for curiosities sake I will keep watching it however the competence in writing is hard to evaluate at this point. The school banter was quite okay but some more fantasy orientated segments were quite out there in dialogue and pacing.

Episode 01

This is just as funny as I remember it being, if not funnier because the scenes are animated, allowing them to do more; I haven't laughed this hard at an anime in quite some time (I even had to replay some scenes because they were so good). I thought the action scenes were ok, but I definitely preferred the comedy skits. In general though I loved every minute of the episode and feel good about this adaptation.

I'm still on the fence about this, I might wait until next week and see the reaction to Episode 2. I feel like the premise has potential, but based on what's been said it seems like it might be one of those things with a good idea, but struggles to execute it successfully.

1:

As much as we like to rag on LN adaptations for being the same show over and over, ye olde days back when VN adaptations were the "it" thing were pretty bad too. This basically exemplifies that. The first three quarters were essentially just your everyday Everyman MC running through a gauntlet of waifu cliches. The last one in which the dude takes a detour into Persona 3's Tartarus at least gives me hope that this won't be a complete snorefest at least.

I don't see any good coming from me watching this but I'm going to do it anyway for some reason.

Episode 1:

Well that was the Keyiest thing that ever Keyed. The characters, their designs, the comedy, the pacing and the way the story unfolded this episode were all unmistakably Key. It wasn't half bad though because the episode moved along at a brisk pace and I was never bored with it. The humor was typical Key stuff, but the execution was decent and it at least got a few smiles from me. I'm not sure what's going on with the story, but that's also to be expected since they usually go for the mystery with everything getting revealed by the end. I will say that the CG was butt ugly and the crab, tentacle monster thing looked awful.

Basically if you hate Key then stay faaar away from this one.

I gave up after about an hour of this VN but hope the anime will be a decent way to more quickly digest the story. First episode was passable I guess.

Episode 2:

This was a pretty slow episode introducing even more characters and setting up the premise for the series. It wasn't a bad episode since I found the character interactions to be mostly entertaining. I'm also liking that the lead is a goofball. It makes him more interesting than more standard leads and he even gets in a funny line or two.

When I say I mostly enjoyed the character interactions I mean I really hated anything to do with the purple ponytail chick, she's like the most bland Key style tsundere. The episode even tries to lampshade this fact, but that line wasn't particularly funny. You don't get bonus points for being self aware and then just doing the thing you're mocking anyway.

The best part of the episode was the fart chasing away the vampire chick though. The first time this show made me laugh out loud.

The art for this is really fugly though. On the surface it looks like standard Key art, but the way the eyes are done makes all the characters look dead eyed. It's especially bad in the females because they all have those huge Key eyes.

There's still not much going on with the plot, but at least the setup is now over with and maybe the anime can start getting down to business.

Episode 02

I'm gonna switch out my avatar every episode since there are so many awesome facial expressions. I almost went with an Akane one this time, but Kotori is the best, so I'll try to stick to her when possible.

I didn't get nearly as many laughs in this episode because a lot of the jokes were perverted and pretty unoriginal. Key at its worst.

Ok, I'll admit it, the fart was hilarious. Who needs shikigami when you got farts to protect you. :laugh:

Episode 2

I am at peace with this episode. It's so Key. I am sort of sad there is no more coffee cans with Key logo from the previous ep.

Anyway the ecchi jokes were creepy because the character design makes everyone look like they are straight out of kindergarten. I wish they weren't there. Especially when silver short hair stalker casually gropes herself at the end while Kotori(?) longingly stares into the window straight at the stalker chick.

That fart was the best thing that happened to me.

Lucia is horrible. I dislike tsuns. She is a worse version of Kyou from Clannad. Even got the purple hair and all.

Inb4 everybody corrects their presumptions that this was written by Jun Maeda when it wasn't.

Anyone notice how gassy dutch ovens are? I just did. Never heard the term before in my life though. :laugh:

watched ep one and 2, I like, it's like a clannad cast with an extra dab of moe. the humor has worked for me, I'm not even worried that I have no idea were the show is headed.

Back