Death Billiards

XMrNiceguyX

Head of the Pokémafia Propaganda department
[sadht]Death Billiards[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Post format and full rules can be found here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAMC Reaction compilation

Average Group Rating: 7.92/10

Best thing I've seen so far, ahh it made me so sad but it was so good. I've been interested in the series for a while, it definitely encouraged me to watch the series.

But yeah it was good, really good

I'm not too sure if I like it. It was marked as a 7, so I'll keep it there, but on the low end. For some reason the exposition was a bit too much.
Those flashbacks, while being a nice touch, could have been worked out further and given us some more tidbits. There was a lot of missed potential here.

Now on to watch the series.

Great anime mirai film, looked good. Brings quite a few things into question.

How I loved this ova (and the series too!) the OVA is great, fancy visuals and a nice short story lovely to rewatch also.

I swear, Niceguy sometimes has the shittiest taste in stuff. What we like, he somewhat dislikes. What he likes, we violently hate.

Interesting concept, and I can see why this became a full TV series. I liked the characters and how they gave just enough backstory to keep the players interesting. I really want to know more about the bar staff though, so Death Parade is going on my to-watch list.

Death Billiards is a re-watch for me. I still enjoyed it immensely.

Has it really been a year since Death Parade finished? It felt good revisiting this world again, and the story holds up with the best of them in the TV show too. Best pick of the marathon so far in my eyes

It was alright. Wasn't bored by it but also wasn't really interesting.

I was blown away by Death Billiards the first time I saw it. The high stakes game premise is of course something that would grab my attention, but leaving that aside there was the striking art style, the well done animation and the mysterious figure Decim at the heart of it all. The production values are top notch for an Anime Mirai thing and the plot is fascinating. The theme of the plot is explored in a non-pretentious way and there's enough ambiguity that it left me thoughtful without feeling that it was incomplete. There are also hints of a deeper world with more stories to tell.

I'm not surprised that this one got chosen to be made into a full fledged series by Madhouse. Death Parade ended up being one of the highlights of 2015.

Something I really hope they intend to do at some point. I enjoyed Death Billiards and Death Parade a lot and would love to see more.

Eh, it was alright. 9/10

Lol what? Trying to rate like XMrNiceguyX?
:p

Let it be known, that if there is one genre that Thrawn has boners for that isn't ecchi or the like, it's death games, or high-stakes games. And I make up for Niceguy's incompetence in rating this OVA.

Last edited:
It was intense...So, tell me, which one went to hell and which one went to heaven :")
The old man's smirk in the end was creepy... I think he went to hell tho I'm not sure ;3

I was not expecting to enjoy the OVA as much as it did. It felt like an extra episode of Death Parade. It developed different philosophies of the characters in life and deals with an existential crisis in a fantasy setting via the black-haired woman. It brings to mind the question of what makes people alive? What is living? Decim is a sharp contrast to the rather emotional young man. The old man's smirk was knowing and creepy. I wish it hadn't ended on a cliffhanger.

7.5/10

Watched for an ABC groupwatch with @JordanJas
This wasn't my first time watching this OVA, but it's been a while. The situation that each character is in puts life and inequalities into perspective. No one is born equal and there will always be some barrier between certain people throughout life. Also, if I was in the anime, I would simply shut down or my mind would not accept the situation of a 'life or death' game. (Not going to lie, there was a bit of an existential crisis that appeared when they were fighting for survival and having flashbacks of their lives.)

This was actually a rewatch for an ABC groupwatch with @Teoca317 .

I didnt remember how raw the emotions were in this. It was a very powerful watch that got a higher score than I originally gave it. I am a little annoyed that we didnt find out who went where, but that is part of the suspense of it I guess. I will likely rewatch the series in a little bit, as it made an impression on me for sure.

Here for a groupwatch.

Don't really care for intense games that could end in someone's losing their lives but this one does it different for me to want to know more about it. Wished there was more information given about where they went but that would get rid of the suspense that they are going for.

Back