Terra Formars: Revenge

Ugh. Just skimmed through the first Ep trying to see if there was any censoring. I couldn't find any, but there was this one moment where they just didn't show it on screen, so maybe their doing that now?

What I did see though was that animation... I don't remember it being so bad in the first season, but that was solid Dragon Ball Super derp level there every fight. And they made the TFs look retarded, even in still frames. Plus they completely changed the style and it's a lot lighter coloured this time around.

I'm a massive fan of the manga and didn't mind the first season but I'm having second thoughts about even watching this :/.

Episode 1

I went in with very low expectations and I still ended up dissapointed.

Not only the problems from the first season are still here (namely putting long-ass flashbacks nobody cares about at the start/in the middle of a fight) but they also added some poorly-timed comedy AND FANSERVICE! Let's not forget this is supposed to be a dark anime about kicking mutated cockroaches' asses. Oh, and talking about the cockroaches, they are horribly animated. I don't mind the palette change though (even if the char mod in me hates with a passion how they redesigned their uniforms) and the lack of censhorship is a plus, but that doesn't make it less shittier

tl;dr

giphy.gif

Episode 2

It was a drag during the first half, but at least it improved a bit in the second one

when it was revealed Liu Yiwu was the traitor, and the posterior fight against the asian squad.

So, for whoever is watching this, is the infamous black dot censorship still happening?

I've heard people say this and they're spot on. They turned the show into a shounen. Tonnes of screaming and being corny as. So there is no gore. if fighting a cockroach, they just collapse or a head falls off with no juices. If a human is dying it's done off screen. The show is pretty cringeworthy because of it. The change in that, the story telling and the art makes this like a completely different show now. Not in a good way either...

On the bright side, we haven't had any poorly-timed, immersion-breaking flashbacks (except for the one in episode 1) but that's the only positive thing I can say about this show. The rest of the changes just made this worse.

Last edited:
Episode 4:

Is anyone else having trouble keeping up with the plot? I've had no idea what is going on for like two episodes now.
None of the betrayals make sense for me and characters are so unmemorable that I keep forgetting which side everyone is supposed to be on. The timing for this is utterly retarded as well. When Dragonfly roach showed up and started wrecking shit, all the dumb humans deserved it.

I get the betrayals are everyone trying to get an advantage for their country, but that's as much sense as I can make out of it. The plot is poorly executed with bad exposition and the characters motives for choosing now to act is moronic.

The mini roaches attacking everyone was hilarious. I got a good laugh out of the two little ones jumping on crab guy's shoulders and stabbing him in the face. Reminded me of Tim Tom and Kevin from The Venture Brothers.

This show has really turned into a comedy this season.

On a brighter note I thought the generic sounding metal track in the middle of the episode was kind of cool. It doesn't have the same character as better tracks from the 80s like this one, but at least it was something that perked me up in the middle of the dull episode.

I don't remember all the female characters needing to get their tits out to fight last season. Twice this episode females have had to get nude to use their power.

Last edited:
I've heard people say this and they're spot on. They turned the show into a shounen. Tonnes of screaming and being corny as. So there is no gore. if fighting a cockroach, they just collapse or a head falls off with no juices. If a human is dying it's done off screen. The show is pretty cringeworthy because of it. The change in that, the story telling and the art makes this like a completely different show now. Not in a good way either...

Yeahhh, this sounds too fucking awful to bother for completion's sake. First season wasn't even good, but at least it had that engaging factor of a shitty series trying to be ''mature'' and failing miserably. Second season sounds like something that's not even trying to be fuck-all but generic.

So, right, I think I'll just keep watching Big O instead of punishing myself. Thanks for the replies guys.

Episode 5:

Y9D4fTs.png

And roach Jesus shows up to take all their sins away.

This episode is much more in keeping with the first season's pattern of flashback to create pathos to make their death more dramatic. The violence was also ratcheted up a bit this episode, but I didn't find the backstory to be all that amusing and the death at the end is pretty fucking pointless.

According to Terraformars when you're attracted to a women:

1. Run right up to her and start babbling about marriage.
2. Don't take "no" for an answer and keep asking her out until she just gives up.

Both of those are terrible pieces of advice.

Not the worst episode of the new season. It's still not great, but it's better than watching a story that makes no sense.

Episode 9:

Joe's body was frightening. It kept changing shape and size the entire episode with his muscles growing muscles. None of this has to do with special abilities. It was all the work of shitty animation. Late in the episode his neck disappeared completely. If he's peak of human breeding then it might be time to let the terraformars win.

Episode 2-9:

So I finally got around to this after dreading it for ages, and I can't believe I'm going to say this but I'm really enjoying it... It seems the first episode was the worst of the bunch. They haven't showed any animation nearly as terrible because they've done the fights with a lot of close ups and stills (which I personally prefer over shit animation) and no more DBZ screaming. It's still not a good show, but they're adapting the story well enough that I'm getting enough enjoyment out of this as a manga fan. The lack of gore is a shame and jarring in a series like this, but it's better than black circles.

I'm a bit disgusted I'm saying all this tbh lol.

I'm a bit disgusted I'm saying all this tbh lol.

Hey man, don't be ashamed for liking something. Even though I still loathed the second season I say kudos to you for finding stuff to like about it as long as you don't try to make me like it.

Episode 10-13:

I felt this season as a whole did a much better job of sticking to the manga, which was a good thing and why I actually enjoyed it. I just can't get over how shit the first episode was compared to the rest of the season though... Terrible production aside, it wasn't a bad adaptation, but going back to the manga afterwards really makes you realise how bad the art was here in comparison. Somehow I preferred this over the first season.

I can see why people don't like the series though, the anime adaptations especially with their poor quality. This series appeals so much to my inner Biology and science geek that I can't help but like it.
Anyway 3.5/5

I actually think this and the first season are equivalent in their presentation and adaptations of the manga. Hiroshi Hamasaki, being one of my favorite directors of all time, had such a unique visual grasp on the series with the first season, and the gritty, dark tone fit the series very well. It wasn't a perfect adaptation, and I wasnt expecting it to be considering it's Hamasaki, but man did his team put out a lot of standout quality episodes.
Similarly, Michio Fukuda taking over for this season wasn't a bad choice considering how standout some of these episodes are, too, and the overall direction is actually pretty good the more I get into it. The series' strength lies in how much it's able to convey character motivations to the point that I can care for them, and whether it's Hamasaki or Fukuda, or script supervisors Yasukawa or Arakawa, the series gets me to like these characters. Akira, Michelle, Adolf, and even Alexander have all be spectacular to watch.
I had my expectations low for both seasons, and both have surprised me with their presentations. Nice.

watched all of it season 1 was boring until almost end of season lol but 2nd season wasnt too bad considering they took off black censoring but as far as fighting goes its not that bad

Back