Sword Gai

Shit, another one? I've yet to finish AICO, gonna be tough gulping both at once.

I just hope that this turns out half decent, or just entertaining in the least.

Shit, another one? I've yet to finish AICO, gonna be tough gulping both at once.

I just hope that this turns out half decent, or just entertaining in the least.

Can't wait for you to bite first Zed, as the Guinea pig here.

We need to know, how shit, yet another netflix animu is.

Can't wait for you to bite first Zed, as the Guinea pig here.

We need to know, how shit this is.
Expectations: people dying horribly, and shitty writing.

Also that premise gives me flashbacks to B the beginning, and that's not a good sign.

Don't worry though, I shall be your sacrificial piece and try it for you.

I wonder to myself sometimes, if netflix is actually ever going to produce a good anime.

I wonder to myself sometimes, if netflix is actually ever going to produce a good anime.
we can only dream of one, tbh i have some hope for the next one, lost song, it gives me some high fantasy vibes, it'll be either something that resembles a final fantasy game shoujo spin off, or it'll be the next Wails of the whales. i really hope it'll be the former.

Well Netflix produced devil man crybaby. Soooo....sorry to soil your comment. And come on guys stop being so critical. Everyone expects every premise to be a masterpiece, then the execution to be a masterpiece. Can't we just enjoy some cheesy action and violence without being all lame and critical. I guess everyone's different but me personally I like to be optimistic and forgiving when it comes to anime. Could you imagine how warped the anime world would become if it was actually possible to make masterpiece after masterpiece? I think you'd turn masterpiece into average then. How do you improve on that?

Devilman Crybaby is ridiculous and so bad imo
however there is Violet Evergarden, maybe no real action anime but still one of the best I've seen

I just watched the trailer, and it looks like it could be delightfully cheesy, but it'll probably take itself far too seriously for that to be an intended effect. Being too po-faced takes away a lot of enjoyment most of the time. I don't need every show to be tongue in cheek or otherwise full of levity, but it would be fun if shows stopped taking themselves so damn seriously all the time.

It seems to take some serious inspiration from Hellsing Ultimate, which is good, but it also makes it look like it was made about 8 years ago or so. Not that I should mind, but ya know.

I'll probably try it out, because unlike that scrub @Zed60K, I finish my Netflix anime in a timely manner.
Well Netflix produced devil man crybaby. Soooo....sorry to soil your comment. And come on guys stop being so critical. Everyone expects every premise to be a masterpiece, then the execution to be a masterpiece. Can't we just enjoy some cheesy action and violence without being all lame and critical. I guess everyone's different but me personally I like to be optimistic and forgiving when it comes to anime. Could you imagine how warped the anime world would become if it was actually possible to make masterpiece after masterpiece? I think you'd turn masterpiece into average then. How do you improve on that?
While I agree with you on Crybaby, I'll just let you beat up on that strawman that you set up in peace.

This is the 4th Netflix anime I have watched and the 3rd that ended on a cliffhanger.
I thought Netflix was supposed to change the seasonal 12 episodes throwaway anime boom, but it seems that it has become a part of it.
(Is Netflix only interested in making continuous shows like Orange is the new black, the marvel shows etc. and wants to produce it's Anime the same way?)

So basically, "Don't have opinions"?
tIJuAvh.gif

It's not like any of us intentionally stop ourselves from having fun you know. I'd like nothing more than to enjoy some cheesy action but if anything about this ends up getting in the way of that then look away or keep reading.

Episode 1
Yay, Alucard is the narrator. That made me go and look up up Hellsing clips, because this anime is not that... direct in catching my attention.

So it's like about swords that control you and whatnot and call out to you because power corrupts and swords represent power but also dicks because that one guy had the sword in bed while with two women and snore. I guess I should be pretend-serious and mention classic swords like Tyrfing, Stormbringer, or Blackrazor, but they are far too cool for an anime like this. Incidentally, Stormbringer is in Daicon IV, which I watched like twice instead of finishing this in a timely manner.

"I wanna know if it's a boy or a girl so I can buy them gender-appropriate gifts". Nerd, wait until she plops out the sprog before you buy shit for it. Also, they're not gonna be able to use those toys for months yet anyway. Oh,he died. Cool. And she preggo-killed him. Cool. Are berserker curses hereditary? We'll most likely find out!

So this is Garo now? Cool.

Sooo... yeah, that was something. Not something good, I can tell you that. Hopefully it'll be cheesier in upcoming episodes. I was waiting for more hammy acting all episode long.

Episode 1:

As much as I talked shit about Devilman Crybaby watching other Netflix Originals I always seem to be finding new things to appreciate about it. These Netflix series are supposed to have less content restrictions, but Crybaby is the only one I've really seen push the boundaries beyond what you'd normally see in a TV anime. B: The Boogering had a lot of blood, but that's about it.

Now I'm not saying blood and tits are needed in an anime for it to be good, but in the case of this episode some gore would have really livened things up. The major problem with this episode was the action was uninspired and whenever something violent happened the anime would just cut away, then cut back to the aftermath.

I wouldn't be complaining about the lacking action and gore in this episode if the story had been anything to write home about, but the plot so far is evil swords making people evil. There's backstory and exposition, but none of it is interesting or all that unique. There's time for the plot to grow and gain some personality. However, if the show wants to play its cards close to the chest, then it has to give me something to enjoy in the mean time, which would mean punching up the action and violence a bit. Just let loose like with Hellsing.

I was getting a bit interesting when it cut to the man and his preggers wife, just because it would be unusual to have a married adult as a protagonist in an action anime. Of course I was dreaming too big, because the married man is killed the MC is actually going to be the baby. Well, not actually the baby, because that would be too cool for this show, but the baby all grown up into a probably angsty teen, which is significantly less cool.

Probably the only interesting shot of the episode was the guy in bed with two chicks just holding his sword, because it was bizarrely hilarious.

I really hope this gets better.

Episode 01:

This was dull, the action is lame, and for a prologue this barely established a damned thing, the episode's story can be summed up with the priest's story, which is barely 6 minutes of the whole. the rest was just the author shoehorning swords in our face until it reached a point where i don't even want to see a kitchen knife, hell, there was barely any dialogue that had nothing to do with swords, i wouldn't be surprised if normal civilians suddenly started talking about swords.

and for a show that really likes words it didn't even bother to have decent action, the CGI sticks out awfully and it felt like watching plastic toys in a stop motion animation. also throwing buckets of blood in my face isn't fun ya kno.

Do you know what else also had a bad prologue? baby Dead Inside, and i sure hope that this won't be nearly as shitty as that one, it still have 11 episodes to prove me wrong, but looking at the ratings it probably won't.

Its pacing is sluggish, the characters are cardboard and all interactions are tropes. Throwing a metric fuckton of blood on the whole show won't fix it.

Episode 01:

but looking at the ratings it probably won't.

Yeah, this being by far the lowest rated of the Netflix series does seem ominous.

Its pacing is sluggish, the characters are cardboard and all interactions are tropes. Throwing a metric fuckton of blood on the whole show won't fix it.

Not fix, but make it a little more entertaining. I can put up with some dull, cliche story if it can deliver on the action. The animation was fairly decent and had potential to deliver or at least I thought so until the two guys turned into plastic Garo action figures.

Not fix, but make it a little more entertaining. I can put up with some dull, cliche story if it can deliver on the action. The animation was fairly decent and had potential to deliver or at least I thought so until the two guys turned into plastic Garo action figures.
They tease you with the action but come prematurely and in the end it's just a disappointing mess.

Hellsing wouldn't be the same without the weirdly thick red sauce dripping everywhere in huge fountains, but Gai can't deliver any such style. It really feels like plastic action figures.

Back