She and Her Cat: Everything Flows

[sadht= Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: Everything Flows)]She and Her Cat: Everything Flows[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

New short that just started to take the place of the shounen-ai wizard series. I'll check out the first episode later today.

This show makes me emotional ;______________;

I want her cat. He's so poofy~

Well, I can sympathize with the premise, so here I am.
Seems like it's going to be pretty focused on her and her growth as a character. So that's pretty exciting.

I like the art, and everything seems pretty smooth. Not sure how I feel about the cat being a character with thoughts though. I guess we'll just have to see how that plays out.

Episode 2:

She got the cat when she was a kid? They're just setting up for the cat to die of old age at the end of the series.

And it's totally going to work. I'm already bracing myself for it. :crying:

Both episodes were great so far with just the right amount of feels and cute mixed together. It's nothing particularly complex so I don't have a lot to say about it, but so far this is a lot like Tabi no Late Show in that it uses a very minimalist style to maximum effect. The music is simple, but beautiful as are the visuals.

Also, like Late Show, there's not a lot of need for useless exposition or story. Most people have had a pet in their lives so there's already that built in connection.

Episode 2:

She got the cat when she was a kid? They're just setting up for the cat to die of old age at the end of the series.

And it's totally going to work. I'm already bracing myself for it. :crying:

It was bad enough when she was about to abandon it. :crying:

Ugh, the entire opening scene was more foreshadowing of what ZK mentioned before. :crying:
It doesn't help that I had a dream this morning where the city was under attack and I met up with my parents, and we were going to go into shelter and they told us that we couldn't bring my parents cat, who is a black cat. Ugh... why did I sign up for this.

Okay... his mother was a calico, yet none of the kittens in that litter were calico... I guess we can pretend that's how that works? But.... come on.... :pokerface:

Does Daru need a tragic backstory? What is happening? :crying:

At this point, it feels like Daru has overtaken the series as the primary personality. I can't even begin to care about the girl anymore, because of that cat.

At this point, it feels like Daru has overtaken the series as the primary personality. I can't even begin to care about the girl anymore, because of that cat.

Yup, we see everything from Daru's perspective so he's the character we're meant to empathize with. We care about the girl mostly because Daru loves her so much and she's the center of his world. I will say I like the way her story plays out in the background. She's got a decently fleshed out arc for a short.

Mostly though I just enjoy the atmosphere of the show. It's definitely more about the feelings than it is the story. The music and Daru's soothing narration bring everything together so we not only know how Daru is feeling, but we feel it too. Both is happiness and his more melancholic moments.

This isn't quite as good as Late Show, but it's pretty damn close when it comes to summoning up the feels.

I cried.
I am still crying.
I can not stop crying.
I need to go and hug my cats now.

I feel like I'm not ready. Firstly, because I didn't expect this to only be four episodes. :pokerface:

Well... here we go...

What the hell was the point of this series?! :crying:
To just make you feel bad? They have this random girl, but develop this cat extensively and then make it die and just have the girl who was supposed to be the main character not really have any impact on the plot.

Ugh, I don't know how to feel after the final scene. I guess it was a play on how cats have nine lives. But, still.

What the hell was the point of this series?! :crying:
To just make you feel bad? They have this random girl, but develop this cat extensively and then make it die and just have the girl who was supposed to be the main character not really have any impact on the plot.

I think they just wanted to tie this into the 2002 short. Not really sure why they would tbqh but I don't mind either. Also I just realized Shinkai himself did the voice of the cat at the end, or at least I think he was since he was in the original She and Her Cat.

All things considered, ignoring that shounen-ai thing with wizards, this half-hour block of shorts was awesome.

With the series just ending, but still fresh in your mind now is a good time to write new recommendations for the series or to revise old recommendations. These recommendations are very helpful to the site even if you're just agreeing with existing recommendations. Just give a brief idea of why you think someone that liked one series would like another.

Now is also a great time to write reviews, even if it's just one line to summarize your feelings about the series. You can even just copy and paste your final thoughts about the series. For these one line or short impressions type of reviews just leave the setting at people visiting my profile. Even though these reviews will only be seen by people that visit your profile they are still very helpful to the site and could be the deciding factor for someone to watch or not watch a series.

Of course if you want to do a full on review then that is highly encouraged. Professional level writing isn't needed to write a full on review. Just a few paragraphs explaining your opinion on the series. For this type of review switch it to Share with everyone and it will visible to anyone that visits the page for that anime.

Thanks in advance,

ZK

Episode 4:

Well, even though I predicted how the series was going to end, it still had an emotional impact on me. From my perspective this series was all about seeing the world through Daru's eyes and feeling what he felt. It's more of a bittersweet ending for me, because although he died, he was content with the life he lived and gladly died in her arms.

This is a series that's squarely aimed at pet owners. Anyone that buys a pet knows they're probably going outlive that pet, so this series hits squarely on that feeling. It's just shown from the perspective of the pet, which despite the ups and downs of life always sticks by and loves its owner. Daru couldn't understand the trouble that she was going through, even if he knew she was troubled so he did his best to always be close to her and try to give what comfort he could.

This anime was a feels trip that didn't feel trite or emotionally manipulative. The series is very simple in its presentation, but it effectively focuses on its subject matter for maximum emotional impact. This is a must watch for anyone that's ever owned and loved a pet. 8 out of 10

PS: I think Chi's Sweet Home would make a great compliment to this series and a strong recommendation.

This anime was a feels trip that didn't feel trite or emotionally manipulative.

Yeah if they wanted to manipulate emotion, it could have dwelled on when she realized that Daru had died.....

Damn I watched ep 1 years ago, and it took me years to finish something that essentially took an half an hour........feels bad man.

Only really seeked this out on the stalled list to reach that 6000 anime mark sooner rather than later and be done with it.....

I usually don't bother rating shorts but it had legit feels so I guess I should make it an exception......4/5

Back